Notifications
Clear all

Has Acne Stopped You From Your Goals?

MemberMember
(@xesro)

Posted : 06/06/2013 5:14 am

It sure did, I think to myself: " Who would want to hire a guy with a face full of pimples ? "

Not to mention that I'm afraid to go outside !

I have to make excuses to my girlfriend every time she wants to hang out.

MemberMember
(@janetjoseph67)

Posted : 06/07/2013 1:58 am

Thankfully for me my acne has never been so bad that it would affect my life in general. But, yes I can understand that if you do want to get into the entertainment industry or become a model, a clear skin is one of the most important prerogatives.

MemberMember
(@sidearmsalpha)

Posted : 06/10/2013 10:54 am

I can honestly say that the acne scarring I have on my chest and back has made me very insecure to the point that it has kept me from meeting other girls and from accomplishing educational goals. My ex-gf could never understand what I was going through always pointing out her minor imperfections bothered her too, but I would always tell her that I would gladly exchange her stretch marks for my acne scars.

I'm currently on Accutane trying to clear up the cystic acne that I had been having a problem with for years. The treatment is working well, but I'm just hoping the acne doesn't come back after I'm done with the treatment. I want to look into cosmetic treatments to treat the scarring, but I don't want to throw away money that I just can't afford to lose on procedures that are only going to provide a minimal improvement. I guess the only thing I can do is just accept the scarring and not let it keep me from enjoying my life. We have to remember that there are worse things that we could be suffering from. Surround yourself with people that make you feel good about yourself if you don't have someone special in your life. If people have a problem with your scars or acne, then they are extremely superficial people who don't deserve your time.

MemberMember
(@angelspit)

Posted : 06/11/2013 1:07 am

Yes, I did horrible in High School and in college because of my acne. I was not social and I did not go to my prom or my high school graduation because of my skin.

I let my skin ruin possibily good relationships...I can't look any guy I have a semi-interest in my face or eyes because of my skin.

It gets in the way of a lot of things...I can't list them all here.

MemberMember
(@exdreamer)

Posted : 06/14/2013 7:21 pm

oh god yes.

I'm a musician, and spent my early 20's developing as an artist and performer, started playing with a few bands etc. A lot of people really responded to my music. I think I'm good and that it's something I could have really pursued, I had all the motivation and abilities to do this,

but then cystic acne happened, and for 6 years I've been struggling with how to even show my face in public :( it's the worst thing that ever happened to me

MemberMember
(@mayatsukioka)

Posted : 06/17/2013 10:59 pm

Yes, actually. I was failing math badly this year, and what really stopped me was my acne. I had to go to the teacher to get help, but his classroom is always filled with people. I hated facing them and how they all stared at me as i walk through the door. It was the worst feeling.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/20/2013 3:05 pm

Saw people comparing you with actresses ... I know this sounds super cheesy ... But you don't remind me of any actress! Because i'm a fan of your eyes.And actresses have contact lenses! Your eyes are in pristine condition.

P.S:

YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL.DO YOU HAVE A TWIN SISTER ....HMMM in INDIA? ;)

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 06/26/2013 1:20 pm

It has never stopped me from reaching my professional goals. I work on stage in front of a large group of people and sometimes I do feel self conscious but if I let it bother me I'd end up living the life of a hermit and THAT would drive me crazy! I focus on it a lot at home but not in public. lol

There have been times when I will not look people in the eye (I have a terrible habit of turning my face down) because I don't want them looking at my skin. :( Funny thing is I refuse to wear make up to hide my flaws. I feel that if someone doesn't want to be my friend because I have I don't have perfect skin, then I don't need them in my life.

MemberMember
(@mandarine)

Posted : 06/27/2013 7:27 am

Yes.

I let my skin control my social life.

When it's la guerre des boutons, my relationships can be sumed up by a big "No":

"Do you want to hang out?" No

"To have a drink?" No

"A concert?" No

"Eating wonderful cakes on the beach?" No

My friends must think I prefer stay home alone to see them.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 06/29/2013 9:57 am

When my skin is clear, I feel so confident and full of energy. I feel in control of EVERYTHING and I want to be the best I can be.

However, it seems that right now, my skin controls me. I obsess over every new pimple, I just wait and pray for the day when I wake up and see no new blemishes, and am able to say "finally, I'm doing something right!" I have no motivation to do anything, I put off all my responsibilities, I don't want to talk to anyone, I just want to hide. A big part of it is not knowing exactly what the cause is, not feeling in control. If I knew I had the power to curb my breakouts, I would feel much safer. But I live every day fearing tomorrow's breakout.

I keep living with regrets. I have hypotheses about what caused this recent terrible breakout... I keep wishing I could turn back the clock to before all this, and avoid the mistakes I made. Either that, or I wish I could fast forward the clock to a week ahead, just so I know whether my acne will get better or worse. Right now it's up in the air, it could go either way. I just don't want to be in the here and now.

I also keep asking myself, "why?" ... the same question all acne sufferers ask themselves... "why do I have to deal with this, and so many other people don't? Why was I dealt this bad hand in life?" I can't see any of the positives, my comfortable job, my loving and supporting family, my beautiful girlfriend. All I see are the bright red pimples that just keep coming and coming.