Notifications
Clear all

Has Acne Stopped You From Your Goals?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/27/2013 11:03 am

Acne hasn't stopped me from my goals but it makes getting there less fun. Since i am so preoccupied with my skin, the experience is not as carefree as i'd like it to be. Wishing that all of us can get out of this physical and mental anquish soon.

XGoviX liked
MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 05/28/2013 6:04 pm

yes because i have become relegated to working with my hands doing manual labor in a type of job i absolutely hate and probably a job that made my acne even worse.

my goal right now it trying to regain some sense of normalcy. im afraid i will never feel that again.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/30/2013 11:54 am

School-wise and my aspirations for a career have not been hampered.

BUT it has created a lot of social anxiety for me. I don't look people in the eyes, especially males. I would never ever ever approach a man I found appealing, to simply start a conversation.

When I drink and feel more at ease about it, but am working hard to change that habit. Sadly, I have actually been on the brink of potential relationships with a few really good guys but have let my anxiety (as a whole, not just my acne/scars) and overanylizations push me away completely.

All of these stem from my divorce too. I was marries from 22 to 26 and it was my only relationship. I don;t know how to be around guys without drinking to calm my nerves. I assume all males are repulsed by me and on top of that I HATE awkwardness to a point that I avoid certain situations in the off chance it'll go that route.

I am working on changing these habits and terrible assumptions.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 05/30/2013 2:56 pm

Your like better looking than some of the actresses in the Indian film Industry. Go chase your dreams girl!...

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 05/30/2013 4:02 pm

Also - girls (and guys for that matter) do you hate how with acne, you cannot be spontaneous with anything?

If I am invited out I require a few hours notice so I can get myself looking presentable, this is the case even if someone just comes to visit me at home.

If a friend called me up to say they would be round in 10 minutes to drop something to me I would be filled with panic. Or if my husband decides to randomly call a neighbour up and invite them to dinner if we make more food that we expected it would fill me with dread and make me freak out. In fact, all that stuff has actually happened!

It is the absolute pits, feeling like you are forced to wear make up in front of people to prevent comments about your skin. Hate feeling so trapped, I don't even like wearing make up, would go without it as often as possible if I had nice skin.

This state of mind has prevented me from doing a lot, who knows - if my skin had never been affected with acne perhaps I'd have gone round the world backpacking, but I need some sort of concrete plan that I'm in control of when it comes to leisure activities.

MemberMember
(@celestialelf)

Posted : 05/30/2013 4:11 pm

I guess I've always been sort of hesitant and anxious my whole life! I've never really known FOR SURE what I'm supposed to do .. it always seems that with other people they just know what they want to do in life and they have these *concrete goals* .. and I've always sort of drifted around .. it feels like I'm deficient or something, not having that motivation to go out and do big things.

Acne has definitely held me back though. The biggest way I can think of is that during high school, I had terrible cystic acne that was so hard to cover with makeup that I was late nearly every day because I kept trying to get it "perfect" which was impossible. I would cry in front of the mirror so often .. I felt like a monster. I was already clinically depressed and it just made things worse. I would skip days when it was really bad, and eventually I just stopped going altogether. I dropped out and never even got my GED. Looking back I know I should have just finished .. on the other hand jobs are so terrible here that I don't think it matters. Everyone I work with got their diploma and yet we're all working the same sort of job!

When I was on accutane I did have really clear skin and things were great. I didn't feel nervous going out with friends and felt pretty confident most of the time. But my social anxiety (unrelated to skin issues) crept back in and I don't really go out anymore. My acne has come back again too. But I'm dealing with it. I have ideas about getting into a real "career" .. but I'm just not sure what is right for me. I'm fascinated by dermatology and nutrition but those are fields that take enormous amounts of time and money to get into.

I'm really lucky because I have a husband who loves me and doesn't care about my zits. He keeps me motivated to keep working and getting out there and I do it because I love him and want to help him. My biggest goal right now is to earn and save enough money (I'm almost there!) to go ahead and have a baby. I want to be a mother and acne certainly won't stop me from doing that. :)

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/31/2013 4:03 am

Your like better looking than some of the actresses in the Indian film Industry. Go chase your dreams girl!...

may be because they are actresses.ideally actresses shouldnt have anything to do with looks but i'll admit it is a 'look oriented field'!

but then most there are more than looks.could be acting skills or in some cases personality / panache / source / PR skills(which is a skill btw) / smartness!

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 05/31/2013 4:11 am

may be because they are actresses.ideally actresses shouldnt have anything to do with looks but i'll admit it is a 'look oriented field'!

but then most there are more than looks.could be acting skills or in some cases personality / panache / source / PR skills(which is a skill btw) / smartness!

Well as Shobha De' has said in her book "Selective memories", The celebrity field in India and all over the world is dominated by looks.Even in sports where impetus is on skills,the better looking celebrities get the lion's share of the cake.P.T Usha has better records any day than Ashwini Nachappa.But Ashwini always had more media attention.Same with Sunil gawaskar,Ajay Jadeja and Leander paes. Who remembers Viswanathan Anand ,when infact he is the one who is making serious moves and money! So if sports is influenced by looks and glamour,Bollywood is ONLY looks when it comes to females.Who looks for a "personality" in Katrina Kaif? Personality? What personality? For the love of God,she hardly has any speaking skills LOL

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/31/2013 4:14 am

i dont know if am right but if i were to have bad acne all way long,i'd definitely carry on with my attempts to treat it but i would put in extra effort in my career because that is one thing i cant be hold back at.

i'd study harder and worker double to make it big without caring what my skin can do to me.

i'd rather do it!

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/31/2013 4:31 am

Well as Shobha De' has said in her book "Selective memories", The celebrity field in India and all over the world is dominated by looks.Even in sports where impetus is on skills,the better looking celebrities get the lion's share of the cake.P.T Usha has better records any day than Ashwini Nachappa.But Ashwini always had more media attention.Same with Sunil gawaskar,Ajay Jadeja and Leander paes. Who remembers Viswanathan Anand ,when infact he is the one who is making serious moves and money! So if sports is influenced by looks and glamour,Bollywood is ONLY looks when it comes to females.Who looks for a "personality" in Katrina Kaif? Personality? What personality? For the love of God,she hardly has any speaking skills LOL

shobha de is highly biased according to me.i understand that she's seen more and closer but sadly,i sorta refuse to agree with everything she says.

media attention may have a lot to with looks but no,definitely not sports.

if a sport is famous and one plays it well,he'll excel whether or not he looks great.example : yusuf pathan(he rose dint he?; did ads and stuff,dint he?)

he wont be eliminated from the team for his looks.he wont be less liked by cricket fans for his looks.

sachins voice or short height or even looks wont stop him from reaching good grounds.

vishwanathan anand is less tracked by media because he's not someone who'd look good opening a soda bottle or dancing with firangi babes at his age.also,he doesnt get too many garlands at the airport after winning world championship because chess isnt as popular.not as much as cricket is.

ajay jadega is pretty much a lost name.although he did get approached for films and stuff but that way dint work,did it?

his cricketing status worked because he could play(for how long is secondary question).

MS dhoni is not as good looking nor is ishaant sharma(i clearly remember the craze he had after the t20 world cup a few years ago).

these names rise and fall on the basis of their games not their looks.for if it was the latter,they'd remain stars forever!

there is no denying that gavaskar or leander paes are really good at their games.the former gets media attention primarily for his game,he is respected world wide for his game not his looks.he's short btw.(which isnt a good trait according to media).

also,leander paes failed miserably in his 1st try in bollywood.i dnt even remember the name of that film now.

look is important.

in film industry(not that it ideally should be) but but but thankfully its still not the only criteria.

we still have good choices and works now and then.

i'll add that what works most is 'source' even more than looks.

u'd want to check out sons and daughters who neither have talent nor typical looks to carry on.

as for shobha de,she produces this controversial but hopeless show on [v] which is really hypocritical of her to do.with all that she says all the time about actors(including tv actors).

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 05/31/2013 6:10 am

shobha de is highly biased according to me.i understand that she's seen more and closer but sadly,i sorta refuse to agree with everything she says.

if a sport is famous and one plays it well,he'll excel whether or not he looks great.example : yusuf pathan(he rose dint he?; did ads and stuff,dint he?)

he wont be eliminated from the team for his looks.he wont be less liked by cricket fans for his looks.

sachins voice or short height or even looks wont stop him from reaching good grounds.

vishwanathan anand is less tracked by media because he's not someone who'd look good opening a soda bottle or dancing with firangi babes at his age.also,he doesnt get too many garlands at the airport after winning world championship because chess isnt as popular.not as much as cricket is.

ajay jadega is pretty much a lost name.although he did get approached for films and stuff but that way dint work,did it?

his cricketing status worked because he could play(for how long is secondary question).

MS dhoni is not as good looking nor is ishaant sharma(i clearly remember the craze he had after the t20 world cup a few years ago).

these names rise and fall on the basis of their games not their looks.for if it was the latter,they'd remain stars forever!

there is no denying that gavaskar or leander paes are really good at their games.the former gets media attention primarily for his game,he is respected world wide for his game not his looks.he's short btw.(which isnt a good trait according to media).

also,leander paes failed miserably in his 1st try in bollywood.i dnt even remember the name of that film now.

look is important.

in film industry(not that it ideally should be) but but but thankfully its still not the only criteria.

u'd want to check out sons and daughters who neither have talent nor typical looks to carry on.

as for shobha de,she produces this controversial but hopeless show on [v] which is really hypocritical of her to do.with all that she says all the time about actors(including tv actors).

What i meant was that if there are two individuals with the same achievements(or less) in the same field.The visually appealing one would inevitably steal the limelight .I agree Viswanathan Anand wouldn't look good doing grotesque advertisements. Chess isn't popular ,yes. But don't you think it's unfair? For god's sake,why can't Indians be less obsessed with cricket? I mean ask a tiny 8 year old who's Sachin,his eyes would lit and he would jump and tell you.But who knows about Dhyan Chand? Who knows about Michael ferreira?For that matter what about Viswanathan Anand? He has been the undisputed FIDE world champion for 3 successive terms defeating three legendary players namely :Vladimir Kramnik (Russia),Veselin Topalov (Bulgaria),Boris Gelfand (Israel). India has held World titles in Chess for the under 10,under 12,under 14,under 16 category! .But all Indians like is become paranoid over cricket. One stupid man named Gurunath Meiyappan who's apparently involved in match fixing and happens to be the SIL of Mr. Srinivasan,becomes the bloody headlines for a week altogether.Are the media people dim witted ducks ? Can't they forget about cricket for a while? Somdev burman battled with Roger Federer,Who cares? LOL...

About Shobha de' ,yes i agree she's a bit of a cynic.

P.S-Our chats really do stretch to un-charted territories haha :) .People may read this and think of me as an acne snob who has contempt for cricket.Na na na,infact i'm going to play cricket now. ;)

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/31/2013 6:22 am

look is important.

What i meant was that if there are two individuals with the same achievements(or less) in the same field.The visually appealing one would inevitably steal the limelight .I agree Viswanathan Anand wouldn't look good doing grotesque advertisements. Chess isn't popular ,yes. But don't you think it's unfair? For god's sake,why can't Indians be less obsessed with cricket? I mean ask a tiny 8 year old who's Sachin,his eyes would lit and he would jump and tell you.But who knows about Dhyan Chand? Who knows about Michael ferreira?For that matter what about Viswanathan Anand? He has been the undisputed FIDE world champion for 3 successive terms defeating three legendary players namely :Vladimir Kramnik (Russia),Veselin Topalov (Bulgaria),Boris Gelfand (Israel). India has held World titles in Chess for the under 10,under 12,under 14,under 16 category! .But all Indians like is become paranoid over cricket. One stupid man named Gurunath Meiyappan who's apparently involved in match fixing and happens to be the SIL of Mr. Srinivasan,becomes the bloody headlines for a week altogether.Are the media people dim witted ducks ? Can't they forget about cricket for a while? Somdev burman battled with Roger Federer,Who cares? LOL...

About Shobha de' ,yes i agree she's a bit of a cynic.

P.S-Our chats really do stretch to un-charted territories haha smile.png .People may read this and think of me as an acne snob who has contempt for cricket.Na na na,infact i'm going to play cricket now. wink.png

match fixing should grab limelight.whether it related to cricket or not.i dnt have an issue with that.i wish they would promote other games along with the match fixing(not the over hyped game of cricket but the corruption - that will probably make some people stop from over crowding already scripted matches)

and i agree,the fate of sports other than cricket(and to a certain extent football in my state) is sad.

but that has nothing to do with acne or looks anyway.(which was our main topic of discussion).

thats okay actually,its good that u're into cricket but not crazily into it to become blind.

MemberMember
(@dreamergirl)

Posted : 05/31/2013 8:06 pm

I like Aishwarya Rai. That is all :). Haha

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/01/2013 1:34 am

I like Aishwarya Rai. That is all smile.png. Haha

probably because ur eyes and some facial features are quite like her.

one thing i'd advice u - stress as less as u can.its good for ur skin.

also,are u working out well on what works for u and what not for u acne?

through diet or med whatever?

i only see ur posts here on emotional forums.just curious!

MemberMember
(@dreamergirl)

Posted : 06/01/2013 9:05 am

Hahaha yeah I get that a lot actually :P She's a great actress too!

The only stress I have seems to be because of my skin. Some days more stressful than others.

Yeah, I know exactly what my skin likes and what it doesn't. And it seems to LOVE patience. I've used every topical blah blah blah retin-a seemed to work well but after a while it wasn't doing much. So my derm said I should really just wait it out because that seems to be working really well for me. I also take omega 3 supplements and all that which help a lot too. But overall, when it comes to red marks, patience is all I really need. :P

It's just stressful when I think it's going well, I'm all excited, then BAM! A stupid new zit appears. Like just 2 days, a new zit in a clear area too (grr :@). But at the same time, I can see my red marks fading. So I don't know what to really feel..excited that they're going away, or annoyed at this new zit?

See what I mean when I say the stress is never ending x_x

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 06/01/2013 9:50 am

You actually remind me of Mila Kunis, too!

Hahaha yeah I get that a lot actually tongue.png She's a great actress too!

The only stress I have seems to be because of my skin. Some days more stressful than others.

Yeah, I know exactly what my skin likes and what it doesn't. And it seems to LOVE patience. I've used every topical blah blah blah retin-a seemed to work well but after a while it wasn't doing much. So my derm said I should really just wait it out because that seems to be working really well for me. I also take omega 3 supplements and all that which help a lot too. But overall, when it comes to red marks, patience is all I really need. tongue.png

It's just stressful when I think it's going well, I'm all excited, then BAM! A stupid new zit appears. Like just 2 days, a new zit in a clear area too (grr :@). But at the same time, I can see my red marks fading. So I don't know what to really feel..excited that they're going away, or annoyed at this new zit?

yeah, me too! there's always going to be a new zit every week. I'm curious about the omega 3 supplements, I hear about that a lot, did your derm suggest you that?

MemberMember
(@dreamergirl)

Posted : 06/01/2013 9:53 am

Hahaha girl you're too kind! I was actually at my niece's ballet performance the other night and her ballet instructor said I remind her of a mix of Megan Fox & Mila Kunis.. wtf. I really REALLY hope I'm not bragging here *facepalm* but my self esteem is so incredibly low from this acne for me to see ANYTHING CLOSE to that!! Thanks so much, though. It's good to know people see the good in you even when you have a hard time seeing it yourself xoxoxo

>

Hahaha yeah I get that a lot actually tongue.png She's a great actress too!

Yeah, I know exactly what my skin likes and what it doesn't. And it seems to LOVE patience. I've used every topical blah blah blah retin-a seemed to work well but after a while it wasn't doing much. So my derm said I should really just wait it out because that seems to be working really well for me. I also take omega 3 supplements and all that which help a lot too. But overall, when it comes to red marks, patience is all I really need. tongue.png

yeah, me too! there's always going to be a new zit every week. I'm curious about the omega 3 supplements, I hear about that a lot, did your derm suggest you that?

I feel ya girl! I asked my derm about it and he said it's supposed to be good for my skin, also a good friend of mine who is studying medicine and is the 2nd Albert Einstein recommended it too, haha. Plus I saw great things about it on here! It's so helpful for me! Just go to your local pharmacy and pick a bottle up and try it out :) Omega 3 is supposed to be SO good for your skin! You won't see results right away but slowly it will help trust me xoxo

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/01/2013 1:00 pm

the ratio of omega 3 : omega 6 should be 1: 4

so if u get that amount through diet,i dnt see any extra need.

u could use flax seeds and have fish(preferably cold water fish).

stella,i've never asked u about ur diet.

oops!

wrong place though.

i'll PM u instead!

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 06/01/2013 1:05 pm

the ratio of omega 3 : omega 6 should be 1: 4

so if u get that amount through diet,i dnt see any extra need.

u could use flax seeds and have fish(preferably cold water fish).

stella,i've never asked u about ur diet.

oops!

wrong place though.

i'll PM u instead!

sure!

Shouldn't it be the other way around (omega 3 higher than omega 6), at least from what I've be reading here and elsewhere.?

lol I know it's the wrong place, but I can't help but asking

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/01/2013 2:01 pm

well.i've heard a nutritionist say so.on TV.

now,i've read blogs which says that its considered 4:1 in general.its considered healthy.

but some argue that our ancestors had the ratio as 1:1 to 2:1

but no firm evidence for it.plus most thinks 1:1 is quite impossible in today life.

so aim for 4:1 ,its more than good.

the general ratio in most countries are around 8-12 : 1 to sometimes 20-50 :1

the only westernised country with 4:1 general ratio is probably japan.

i'll send u some links if u want.

plus its not like u dnt need omega 6 at all.

here,

MemberMember
(@beautyandthebeast)

Posted : 06/01/2013 6:55 pm

Hi. I really feel that acne destroys your life. 5years ago, I met the most amazing guy and we dated for a while but then he had to move to another country for work. We tried the long distance thing but it didnt work out. I have dated other guys after him but never really had the connection that I had with him. In the past 2 years or so, I have been having really bad acne which was due to hormones. I tried heaps of stuff but nothing worked. As a result of that, I have a lot of rolling scars. My dream guy contacted me few months ago and wants to meet me again. I dont have the courage to meet him as he remembers me as the old me, one without any scars. I have been trying to make excuses when all i want is to meet him and be with him. He said that he has been thinking about me a lot and wants to give us another try. He says stuff like, I remember your beautiful face and running my fingers over ur smooth skin. I know that I will never have the courage to meet him again and feel like when he sees me, all he will see is my scars. He is the only guy I ever loved and the acne scars are stopping me from meeting him again. I am so depressed because of it.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 06/02/2013 12:38 am

Hi. I really feel that acne destroys your life. 5years ago, I met the most amazing guy and we dated for a while but then he had to move to another country for work. We tried the long distance thing but it didnt work out. I have dated other guys after him but never really had the connection that I had with him. In the past 2 years or so, I have been having really bad acne which was due to hormones. I tried heaps of stuff but nothing worked. As a result of that, I have a lot of rolling scars. My dream guy contacted me few months ago and wants to meet me again. I dont have the courage to meet him as he remembers me as the old me, one without any scars. I have been trying to make excuses when all i want is to meet him and be with him. He said that he has been thinking about me a lot and wants to give us another try. He says stuff like, I remember your beautiful face and running my fingers over ur smooth skin. I know that I will never have the courage to meet him again and feel like when he sees me, all he will see is my scars. He is the only guy I ever loved and the acne scars are stopping me from meeting him again. I am so depressed because of it.

Maybe you can talk with him before hand and tell him about your situation. Scars will go later but you don't want to live with regret

MemberMember
(@quietjamie14)

Posted : 06/02/2013 2:01 am

I have held myself back from romantic relationships throughout my twenties because I've always assumed that no one would want me because of my skin problems. I was wrong to have done that and now I live with regret. Don't make the same mistake. Meet up with this guy - if he really is your 'dream guy' then he will see past any scarring you may have; if he can't do that, then at least you'll realise that the two of you never had a truly deep connection in the first place.

MemberMember
(@beautyandthebeast)

Posted : 06/04/2013 10:22 pm

Thanks. I have decided to meet him coz if I dont meet him, I have no chance but if I do there is a small possibility that he might accept me despite the scars.

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 06/05/2013 12:42 am

A few long term goals, yes, but mostly short-term, or more immediate ones. The one big long term goal my skin has kept me from is going away to a top university- well, any university for that matter. I could easily go away to some really good schools, but I'm choosing to go to the university 15 minutes away from my house so that I won't have to room with anyone and expose my horrendous skin. I'm probably taking the easy way out, but I'm doing it anyway. I've also always been really into fitness, especially long distance running, but when I started getting acne, I started wearing makeup, and I couldn't exercise for long periods of time with makeup on without it looking disastrous and causing breakouts. I really want to participate in a triathlon, but I can't imagine how badly my skin would react.

For what it's worth, you could totally be a model. You're gorgeous. I completely understand your fears though. :/