Notifications
Clear all

Mind over Acne

MemberMember
(@fnix)

Posted : 12/31/2010 3:49 pm

food does not effect acne. stop making yourselves more depressed by eating boring foods, indulge yourselves, your suffering mental pain the least you could do for yourselves is eat anything you want. acne is cause by 3 things only, dead skin cells, oil production, and bacteria, get rid of these and you're acne free.

In some cases it does.

prove it

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 01/09/2011 9:18 am

food does not effect acne. stop making yourselves more depressed by eating boring foods, indulge yourselves, your suffering mental pain the least you could do for yourselves is eat anything you want. acne is cause by 3 things only, dead skin cells, oil production, and bacteria, get rid of these and you're acne free.

In some cases it does.

prove it

Prove it via private message please if you do.

I would like to keep this thread free of arguing.

That specific argument is an endless one... and really seems to be unproven by either side.

MemberMember
(@kelseyt)

Posted : 01/10/2011 9:40 pm

I was reading this post because I thought it was very interesting how powerful the mind can be! I agree, I do believe that if you change your way of thinking and tell yourself that you are beautiful inside and out and accept yourself, those thoughts can be powerful and change how you view the world. I did that and my face had been clear which is great! I still get pimples from time to time but I would freak out if I see a zit pop up and of course it made things worse. So instead of washing my face twice a day, only at night if I wore makeup for the day, otherwise I don't wash it which is hard because I have oily skin. I use witch hazel as a toner because it contain no alcohol and it doesn't burn or dry my skin which is what I need. Something natural. Me doing this change my skin big time! And we were all taught to wash your face blah blah blah. Another thing that got me thinking is the men and women who are in the military. I know a few of them and there face is clear. Why? Because acne is the last thing that is on their mind. They have so many minutes to get ready for the day and they don't care how their skin look. All they care about is to defend their country and so on. I found this very interesting and helpful. I do believe there is nothing wrong with washing your face but don't overdo it and depend on it because when you depend on it, your mind will automatically think that what you need and ya, the rest is history.

MemberMember
(@lissbee)

Posted : 01/11/2011 12:32 am

Acne didn't become a serious problem for me until 2 years ago. When I was a teenager I hardly did anything to my face. No makeup, no cleaning it even! I rarely had acne. Now my acne looks awful because I thought that the best way to take care of your face was to clean it daily. When I started getting acne I started applying harsh chemicals such as BP and all these moisturizers. Now my skin is at its absolute worst. I've never seen it this bad. I really, really want to just try not doing anything to it, but unfortunately I'm too insecure to leave the house without at least some cover up makeup. I dread going to work especially. I work with GORGEOUS women and I can't look like something's eating away at my face.

I don't know what to do anymore. My acne is constantly weighing on my mind. Even though I'll tell myself to not think about it and it will go down eventually, I can't help but think about it. I'm slowly trying to ween myself off of all the products I use. I don't want to stop them completely, but lessen them overtime until I'm not using them at all anymore. I hope this will help me get my old clear skin back. I never realized how good I had it. I hope one day soon I will grow the confidence to stop wearing makeup and let my skin recover.

I firmly believe that for some people all these cleansers, creams, moisturizers are NOT needed. I can't speak for everyone but I know for sure I don't need it. Sure you can get the occasional flare up due to hormones, stress, etc but for some people by using all this crap it will only worsen your face. Unfortunately I didn't learn this until 2 years of doing it :(

MemberMember
(@lauren123)

Posted : 02/06/2011 8:52 pm

This sounds like something worth trying but one question no one has brought up: What about sunblock? Acne sucks but so does skin cancer. Thoughts? Thanks.

This sounds more do-able in the winter, especially if you work indoors. But how is this possible in the summer?

MemberMember
(@njman22)

Posted : 02/06/2011 9:16 pm

This sounds like something worth trying but one question no one has brought up: What about sunblock? Acne sucks but so does skin cancer. Thoughts? Thanks.

This sounds more do-able in the winter, especially if you work indoors. But how is this possible in the summer?

You should always try and use sunblock. If you have scarring, being out in the sun without any on can actually make your scarring worse

MemberMember
(@recoverme)

Posted : 02/14/2011 7:02 pm

I don't wanna get too excited.. but.. I think this thread changed my life!

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 02/25/2011 2:26 pm

Greetings again everyone!

Acne didn't become a serious problem for me until 2 years ago. When I was a teenager I hardly did anything to my face. No makeup, no cleaning it even! I rarely had acne. Now my acne looks awful because I thought that the best way to take care of your face was to clean it daily. When I started getting acne I started applying harsh chemicals such as BP and all these moisturizers. Now my skin is at its absolute worst. I've never seen it this bad. I really, really want to just try not doing anything to it, but unfortunately I'm too insecure to leave the house without at least some cover up makeup. I dread going to work especially. I work with GORGEOUS women and I can't look like something's eating away at my face.

I don't know what to do anymore. My acne is constantly weighing on my mind. Even though I'll tell myself to not think about it and it will go down eventually, I can't help but think about it. I'm slowly trying to ween myself off of all the products I use. I don't want to stop them completely, but lessen them overtime until I'm not using them at all anymore. I hope this will help me get my old clear skin back. I never realized how good I had it. I hope one day soon I will grow the confidence to stop wearing makeup and let my skin recover.

I firmly believe that for some people all these cleansers, creams, moisturizers are NOT needed. I can't speak for everyone but I know for sure I don't need it. Sure you can get the occasional flare up due to hormones, stress, etc but for some people by using all this crap it will only worsen your face. Unfortunately I didn't learn this until 2 years of doing it :(

MemberMember
(@vavier)

Posted : 02/26/2011 1:28 am

I don't care about acne anymore, fuck it

MemberMember
(@liebehaus)

Posted : 03/17/2011 4:15 pm

Completely agree with everything that the OP has said and have seen amazing effects in even just a week. However, I have been eating gluten-free as well because I think I might really have a sensitivity to it. Overall, not giving a **** about my face has been amazing! I've gotten two zits since I stopped washing my face and they were tiny. My chin is my problem area and that is getting clearer and clearer every day. Basically, I'm excited to continue this and it will be really nice to be able to stay at my boyfriends house and not have to be worried about doing the regimen in secret because I'm too embarrassed to explain that Im putting all this BS on my face twice a day, haha.

To the haters: Maybe your incredibly negative attitude is why you still have severe acne! Think about THAT

MemberMember
(@adam-werner)

Posted : 05/04/2011 10:43 pm

To the creator of this entire thread:

I read through all 7 pages of this inspirational thread. It took forever, but everything that you said, every reply to the people trying to play devil's advocate or just play the role of an asshole, made the hair on my arms stand up as I stayed sitting and empathizing for those who are down. I couldn't possibly write down how this thread made me feel, just know that you've got another tally to mark down for the people that you've inspired and helped feel absolutely fantastic about their true self.

I personally have had on-and-off acne for about 3 years now, and I'm a 19 year old male. I couldn't recall when it started, but I do know that I began by using the pads (like everyone else). It seemed as though my prescribed Doryx helped out a tremendously, but that died off and I had to resort to something different. Then I was perscribed Minocycline, which cleared my cheek acne but not my chin. My body has grown an immunity to that as well now, and I was told to double the dosage. I can't even explain how much I let my acne rule my life... I don't indulge (ever), I constantly looked in the mirror like everyone on this thread has claimed to have done. Overall, I worried excessively and finally a few days ago, before coming across this post, I gave up and stopped using all 3 steps of my clinique acne fighting regime. I dropped it from using the scrub, toner and lotion, to just the scrub and the lotion. Then I cut out the lotion entirely and after doing these things it got better and better. I began to feel better, the redness was disappearing and I was feeling great. I then came across this thread just now and read it all. It make me feel so awesome. I copy and pasted the things that were said by various people onto microsoft word to reference back to whenever I need to, whenever I feel down or need a boost. I'm going to continue this with a very optimistic attitude.

For those who think that others care, especially girlfriends:

I began dating my girlfriend in the summer two and a half years ago (when I only got winter acne). We grew especially close and over the past year I began to get worse acne. Did I think she cared? Hell yeah I thought she cared. I no longer considered myself worthy of dating her because she's very attractive, and I'm not just saying that because I'm obligated to lol. One day I asked her if she cared, and by that point I had the ability to sense truth in what she said. She answered truthfully and told me "I don't care that you have acne at all, it does NOT bother me one bit". Although that was nice to hear, I still was unconvinced for I still had a low self-confidence because I had acne... But now looking back, I'm still dating her, and a week ago I had a bad breakout before Easter with her family. With that being said, even with acne I have a sexy girlfriend.

I hope this helps other people out who are in the same boat. Don't let your acne control you, as a person mentioned earlier in this thread, "Tell it to get the heck out".

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 05/05/2011 6:14 am

Sat and read through all this. Just emphasises what I already know: I need to relax and give my skin a break. Had I stopped being so stressed about it for all these years, I think I would have have been clear a long while ago.

Had I not over-washed, or used and over-applied such terribly harsh and ineffective products through my teens because I didn't know any better, I wouldn't have damaged my skin. I would have broken the cycle and it would have recovered.

After so many years, it's hard to break those habits. You put faith in those products and to let go of it all seems drastic. It's almost like I feel I need to use those products and I need to treat my skin the way I do. And over those years, I always thought that whatever I was doing was ultimately making it better. That mentality is kind of engrained in me know so it's taking time to let that go as well.

Knowing what I know now, If I saw someone behaving like I was 12 years ago, I'd say to them, "If you want to be consumed by skin problems for the next 12 years, you're going the right way about it!" I would make them see and I would make them stop. Just a pity I didn't have all this information to hand back then.

Better late than never of course. I do think that breaking the vicious cycle I was in is enough to greatly reduce my acne to a point where I don't even see it as an issue. I also think the damage I did will repair over time.

So much of my problem has been based on blind faith and is now deeply rooted in fear, a lack of confidence and generally feeling worthless compared to everyone I meet.

My response to the feeling of inferiority was to stop meeting people. Of course, when I didn't have any friends to hang out with as a result, I was making myself feel even worse and thinking, 'Nobody likes me because I have acne'. The reality was, I didn't have any friends to hang out with because I was never out there for people to even see that I existed! I dropped off the radar and completely stopped living my life. Instead of being me, I was being acne. I let it become the only thing I was about.

Not too sure how to fix that aspect of things, socially and so on, feel a bit out of my depth due to the lack of experiences to be honest, but I can fix that and I can get help.

As dramatic as it may sound, I just think if I made it through the phases were I was so lost and thinking, 'Nobody cares, all I have in my life is acne, so I can't see the point in being here, then the only way from there is up. I no longer feel that way and can't believe that I ever felt for even just a second that it was the right mentality to have. I let that go, so I think I can let go of acne as a crutch as well.

:)

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 05/07/2011 11:51 am

Hello again! I really appreciate all of the PMs and emails that I get from you all. I am surprised how long this thread has been around...and how much this site has blown up in terms of online users. The number grows exponentially it seems!

Completely agree with everything that the OP has said and have seen amazing effects in even just a week. However, I have been eating gluten-free as well because I think I might really have a sensitivity to it. Overall, not giving a **** about my face has been amazing! I've gotten two zits since I stopped washing my face and they were tiny. My chin is my problem area and that is getting clearer and clearer every day. Basically, I'm excited to continue this and it will be really nice to be able to stay at my boyfriends house and not have to be worried about doing the regimen in secret because I'm too embarrassed to explain that Im putting all this BS on my face twice a day, haha.

To the haters: Maybe your incredibly negative attitude is why you still have severe acne! Think about THAT

MemberMember
(@beadyb)

Posted : 06/14/2011 6:40 pm

I'm obviously very late on this thread. I have a similar story, although I'm female, so the hormonal aspect is a bitch. lol

Got a skin infection from a pimple when I was 19. I got my treatments, and moved on. Still not washing my face except for in the shower. I got a few more spots when I was 20 and I saw a derm. She said I "suffered" from adult onset acne. I was prescribed antibiotics, washes, topicals, and birth control. Yup. All at once. I seriously regret that day above anything else in my life, because from then on, my skin has never been the same. I have so many scars now its ridiculous! And also quite a shock. I NEVER worried about my skin. Ever. I feel so narcissistic for feeling basically traumatized by this. (I hope you all can relate)

I just have to ask OP. Do you think gentle cleansing would be that detrimental? I've obviously stopped all treatments, but I need to wash gently to remove makeup and sunscreen.

P.S. You mentioned earlier your girlfriend has flawless skin. May I ask what she does for her complexion? (Always nice to hear a womans perspective.)

Sorry if thats too personal.

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 07/17/2011 8:04 am

I will respond here, but also send you a PM, since it has been over a month. I don't come around too often except to answer PMs/emails people send to me.

I'm obviously very late on this thread. I have a similar story, although I'm female, so the hormonal aspect is a bitch. lol

Got a skin infection from a pimple when I was 19. I got my treatments, and moved on. Still not washing my face except for in the shower. I got a few more spots when I was 20 and I saw a derm. She said I "suffered" from adult onset acne. I was prescribed antibiotics, washes, topicals, and birth control. Yup. All at once. I seriously regret that day above anything else in my life, because from then on, my skin has never been the same. I have so many scars now its ridiculous! And also quite a shock. I NEVER worried about my skin. Ever. I feel so narcissistic for feeling basically traumatized by this. (I hope you all can relate)

I just have to ask OP. Do you think gentle cleansing would be that detrimental? I've obviously stopped all treatments, but I need to wash gently to remove makeup and sunscreen.

P.S. You mentioned earlier your girlfriend has flawless skin. May I ask what she does for her complexion? (Always nice to hear a womans perspective.)

Sorry if thats too personal.

MemberMember
(@jamie-freedman)

Posted : 09/08/2011 4:49 am

Just another viewpoint, but maybe the fact that you consciously are trying to ignore your acne and preaching about how others should do the same to cure themselves is testimony to the fact that you havent let go at all, but are just treating it in a different way. Sorry if thats a bit deep for some peoples liking lol.

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 11/09/2011 9:30 pm

Just another viewpoint, but maybe the fact that you consciously are trying to ignore your acne and preaching about how others should do the same to cure themselves is testimony to the fact that you havent let go at all, but are just treating it in a different way. Sorry if thats a bit deep for some peoples liking lol.

I come to this site every couple months at most. The main reason being is because I receives messages and questions via my inbox.

It's not about ignoring anything. It is about not caring and stressing over it.

...You've just got my message wrong. Not sure what else to tell you.

Wish you the best.

MemberMember
(@cherryx)

Posted : 11/09/2011 11:30 pm

Amen. I agree 100%

Ever since I stopped using daily treatments my skin started to get healthy. It used to all red all the time, now it looks like skin. It's a fact people.

MemberMember
(@collipso)

Posted : 06/11/2013 8:34 am

I know this was posted a long time ago but I really need a few answers, if you still read this. I don't have severe acne at all. It's actually pretty mild and only really gets bad in a few places sometimes. I have also used pretty much every product you can think of including proactiv, Equate, Differin, natural remedies, cleansers, clinique, retina A, ect. And when I read your post it really inspired me and I want to live my life through confidence and not constantly think about a problem that isn't even as severe as I sometimes make it seem in my head. This is kind of a question I think I may already know the answer to but what are your views about popping pimples. Is it absolutely wrong to do this? I do not exactly just get them on my face but really kind of along my jawline and on the very top of my neck sometimes. Let me know what your thoughts are on this

MemberMember
(@sadicalvibes)

Posted : 02/02/2014 8:09 am

I'm extremely late here, but you shouldn't think 'oh, I need to get rid of my acne to make me happy'. If anything it should be 'I should be happy and as a result, my acne will go'.

Try and be positive anyway. It's hard but totally worth it.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 02/03/2014 5:22 am

I'm extremely late here, but you shouldn't think 'oh, I need to get rid of my acne to make me happy'. If anything it should be 'I should be happy and as a result, my acne will go'.

Try and be positive anyway. It's hard but totally worth it.

It doesn't work that way. I've read billboards at school which said stuff like "you look as how you feel". It's all bullshit! Now, what can be done is thinking "well, I have a skin condition, but that doesn't change me as a person and I can still do stuff that I did before". However, only a small fraction on this board can actually think like that. Most people want to wallow in self-pity. That's an easy thing to do, but that doesn't solve your problems.