Notifications
Clear all

Mind over Acne

MemberMember
(@sak)

Posted : 11/10/2009 12:40 pm

I wanted to apologize for the harshness of my last post.

I am in a really bad place right now and I realize that I am taking it out on people who actually have a positive outlook on life. I am incredibly sorry and ashamed that I have resorted to knocking down others' optimism in order to validate how I am feeling. There is no excuse.

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 01/31/2010 10:34 pm

I wanted to apologize for the harshness of my last post.

I am in a really bad place right now and I realize that I am taking it out on people who actually have a positive outlook on life. I am incredibly sorry and ashamed that I have resorted to knocking down others' optimism in order to validate how I am feeling. There is no excuse.

If you are still around, it is ok.

Some people may treat you different, but not the people who actually matter.

If your acne really got worse, I am sorry. Some people actually have a skin condition. Many do not though.

I have not met 1 person in real life who I convinced to stop worrying about acne who did not clear up almost instantly. It works.

I do not claim to have all the answers, but stressing about acne will only make it worse.

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 02/23/2010 6:52 pm

Hope everyone is having a great winter and staying warm.

I thank all of you who have been messaging me with questions and welcome any others.

I do not actively post here very much, but I do respond to EVERY single person who e-mails me, usually in the same day.

MemberMember
(@coppedsynergy999)

Posted : 02/23/2010 11:33 pm

Looook. Ok. I do agree that stress can contribute to acne. I also agree that your mind can make things real through "self-fullfilling" prophecy. I also agree that you can "over do it" on the topicals and make it worse, but to encourage people to do nothing is a horrible idea. Acne is a disease caused by inaccurate cell shedding and bacteria mixed with dirt oil and germs.Pleeeease stop this nonsense. Some people need to use anti-bacterial components or products to help there skin shed old cells faster.And to say you stopped taking zinc and this helped?please man.Zinc is good for your body acne or not.Many other supplements can do wonders for your skin. I AM A REALEST. gimme a break....

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 02/24/2010 4:36 am

Looook. Ok. I do agree that stress can contribute to acne. I also agree that your mind can make things real through "self-fullfilling" prophecy. I also agree that you can "over do it" on the topicals and make it worse, but to encourage people to do nothing is a horrible idea. Acne is a disease caused by inaccurate cell shedding and bacteria mixed with dirt oil and germs.Pleeeease stop this nonsense. Some people need to use anti-bacterial components or products to help there skin shed old cells faster.And to say you stopped taking zinc and this helped?please man.Zinc is good for your body acne or not.Many other supplements can do wonders for your skin. I AM A REALEST. gimme a break....

fair point and id argue the same thing about cells shedding etc.

but have you heard of meat? there is plenty of zinc in meat, even herbal teas. you do not need to supplement with anything. do you think the islands where acne dosnt exist they wake up and crack some supplements? no.

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 02/24/2010 1:52 pm

From your response, I see you have not taken the time to really read this thread. You have taken way too much out of context.

Here is something from a message I sent to one of my emailers, and I think most can benefit from it:

"Well... the hardest part of all of this is to stop worrying.

It is hard for me to explain, but this is how you must see it:

You are not trying to stop worrying about acne because you think it will make your acne go away. This method will only continue to make you think you are "doing" something for your acne and you will still be worried that it wont work... and then it probably wont.

You must stop worrying about acne BECAUSE you wish to not worry about acne. You must realize acne is not important. The rest comes naturally. You must first desire to just let go of all of your concerns and worries about acne. You must stop worrying about what other people think. You must stop worrying about if next week your face will be clear.

You must just not care anymore whether you have it or not.

It is hard, very hard, but once you have done it, you will look back and realize just HOW MUCH stress and worry you had bottled in you and how relieved you are to have let it go. You will also remark at how your face is actually more clear now that you stopped caring.

Hopefully that helps,

- Harrison"

MemberMember
(@dykim90)

Posted : 02/25/2010 3:27 am

great story man. honestly.

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 04/01/2010 3:06 pm

great story man. honestly.

It can be anyone's story. Hope all is well with this community.

Stay confident!

MemberMember
(@onelittleone)

Posted : 04/01/2010 3:22 pm

after reading some of the post here i have to say i fell somewhat better about myself

Thanks

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 04/05/2010 9:54 pm

after reading some of the post here i have to say i fell somewhat better about myself

Thanks

Keep reading it and things like it... and feel better about yourself every day.

MemberMember
(@lolatme)

Posted : 04/06/2010 12:07 am

great another wannabe zen master trying to get inside the minds of acne sufferers all over the globe. mind over acne? please. that's just dumb. what does that solve? nothing. are you saying i shouldn't care about acne at all and just live life like my face is as smooth as james bond? why shouldn't i care about acne? why should I have a no care attitude? what is the point of ANYTHING if you aren't gonna care about what others think of you? People is the essence of life. people see other people and all people have faces. if my face looks like a blast site theres no reason to go out. Why set yourself up for failure? you think girls like guys with acne? ugly ones wont care but hot ones do. I don't want to settle. I will never settle. I will never put myself out there unless I have reason to. should blind people be truck drivers? no. just like acne sufferers shouldn't be part of regular society. I can't believe someone seriously expects people to take this advice. mind over acne. what? So should I walk through the mall or airport and simply IGNORE all the people staring at me like an I'm some kind of alien? literally an alien. Should I? fuck no. Why would I? To feel better about myself? just to be able to say I stepped out of my comfort zone? pointless. clear skins notice big time and care big time if someone has severe acne. I'm not even gonna read through all 6 pages or whatever in this stupid thing. I know it's full of fake shit. feel better about myself? WTF FOR? how can someone with bad acne feel GOOD? ever? about ANYTHING? do you realize what ur saying?

MemberMember
(@slave2makeup)

Posted : 04/06/2010 10:05 am

I'm not even gonna read through all 6 pages or whatever in this stupid thing. I know it's full of fake shit.
MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 04/22/2010 5:03 pm

I'm not even gonna read through all 6 pages or whatever in this stupid thing. I know it's full of fake shit.

hahhahahhah lol i just thought the same thing

May you stay slave2acne as well then.

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 04/22/2010 5:06 pm

great another wannabe zen master trying to get inside the minds of acne sufferers all over the globe. mind over acne? please. that's just dumb. what does that solve? nothing. are you saying i shouldn't care about acne at all and just live life like my face is as smooth as james bond? why shouldn't i care about acne? why should I have a no care attitude? what is the point of ANYTHING if you aren't gonna care about what others think of you? People is the essence of life. people see other people and all people have faces. if my face looks like a blast site theres no reason to go out. Why set yourself up for failure? you think girls like guys with acne? ugly ones wont care but hot ones do. I don't want to settle. I will never settle. I will never put myself out there unless I have reason to. should blind people be truck drivers? no. just like acne sufferers shouldn't be part of regular society. I can't believe someone seriously expects people to take this advice. mind over acne. what? So should I walk through the mall or airport and simply IGNORE all the people staring at me like an I'm some kind of alien? literally an alien. Should I? fuck no. Why would I? To feel better about myself? just to be able to say I stepped out of my comfort zone? pointless. clear skins notice big time and care big time if someone has severe acne. I'm not even gonna read through all 6 pages or whatever in this stupid thing. I know it's full of fake shit. feel better about myself? WTF FOR? how can someone with bad acne feel GOOD? ever? about ANYTHING? do you realize what ur saying?

Calm down, then I will address you as well.

MemberMember
(@eleonne)

Posted : 09/24/2010 2:39 am

The Murad Acne Complex cleared my face of acne. (I had severe acne, cystic as well as comedonic). I still have acne from time to time, one or two sometimes, but it's nothing compared to the face I used to have before =( My face has really cleared.

I am not certain, however, if it was solely Murad that cured me. It could be that I was no longer stressed as I have already graduated from college. Stress could have been a factor and it might've been coincidental that during the time I was applying Murad products, I was no longer experiencing any stress. The Roaccutane I took could also have been a factor (I used the Murad set when my face was at its worst - when my face was experiencing relapse from the therapy. The acne was worse than ever 6 months after the therapy >.<); although my acne did worsen months after the therapy, the long term effects of the drug could have cured my face of severe cystic acne. The long term effects of Isotretinoin could have coincided with the time I was applying Murad products. This has always been a puzzle to me since I had very severe cystic acne, and I know for a fact that no topical medication can treat a cystic acne condition.

I posted this because of the invitation of the original post. Although Murad Acne Complex, a topical skincare product set, might've not cured me of my acne permanently (I will have to live my whole life before I'll know the answer), it did help. I just consumed one package of Murad that was sent to me, and then switched to other products that I needed to maintain my skin's integrity (VMV Hypoallergenics Superskin for Oily Skin), because Murad was not available in my country then (I think). I am still enjoying an almost clear skin for five months now ever since I used Murad =) The positive effects of Murad was apparent on my skin after just one month of usage.

The point that I would like to make here is that - absolutely in my own opinion, I think topical medications do help. It did in my case. I am indeed skeptical to the idea that topical products can cure acne permanently, that's why I am on maintenance. It's still going well for me. I hope it continues to be so =)

There are many different cases of acne and countless factors that could influence it. I don't want to put off anything as absolute - not doing anything could work out for you as much as doing something could work for somebody else.

Listen to your skin ^___^ LOL XD

MemberMember
(@beastyfee)

Posted : 09/24/2010 6:44 pm

I'm too lazy to effectively stick to a regimen. I mean, I take accutane, but I forget to take it so often that I have 3 boxes extra and I have 3 months to go.

I'm such a rebel.

MemberMember
(@tk13)

Posted : 09/28/2010 6:38 pm

for the guy that started this post .. how bad was your acne at its worst? i think it sounds like a great idea, but its really not practical for someone with a legitimate skin problem. If i stop using topicals i break out worse and it bothers me. I have tried it. I guess i never quit caring about it all together .. but not caring about something doesnt make it magically go away. If a diabetic stops caring about his/her blood sugar does it solve anything .. fuck no .. it would exacerbate their problems. I see it as the same thing for someone with an acne problem. I totally agree that you can overdo it with topicals because i used to do that, but not caring would be disastrous for some people's skin and would ultimately probably come back to bite them at some point. I mean it would be fantastic to just up and quit caring about it ... and even better if that actually cured the problem. That is not possible for a lot of people .. especially those who do have pretty bad acne. I guess a lot of our lives would be better if we just quit caring about it all together .. unfortunately mirrors exist lol. Im pretty far from optimistic when it comes to acne .... but realistically speaking this would probably prove disadventageous for a lot of people. I recently (like the past week) tried to go without using anything on my face .. just wash it ... after about three days i started getting a nasty sucker on my left cheek that if i had just left it alone would have likely turned into a cyst (based on past experiences). My skin didnt get much worse .. it stayed pretty stagnant .. still mild acne/scars/etc., but i started getting a pimple larger than i have gotten since taking accutane ... and ive been using topicals since a few weeks after i stopped it. I suppose that in the time period of stopping everything i never quit caring about my skin completely .. i thought about it less bc i wasnt doing anything for it and it started to get a little worse. I have since conlcluded that doing nothing is probably a bad idea for me seeing as simply not caring or thinking about it is pretty hard given the condition of my face. I wish i could stop thinking about it honestly ... im pretty sure my skin would get worse if i did that though given my recent experience .. and even past experiences. If i missed a night or two of topicals in the past i was sure to start breaking out worse ... just another reason to not stop using them.

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 10/15/2010 8:19 am

The Murad Acne Complex cleared my face of acne. (I had severe acne, cystic as well as comedonic). I still have acne from time to time, one or two sometimes, but it's nothing compared to the face I used to have before =( My face has really cleared.

I am not certain, however, if it was solely Murad that cured me. It could be that I was no longer stressed as I have already graduated from college. Stress could have been a factor and it might've been coincidental that during the time I was applying Murad products, I was no longer experiencing any stress. The Roaccutane I took could also have been a factor (I used the Murad set when my face was at its worst - when my face was experiencing relapse from the therapy. The acne was worse than ever 6 months after the therapy >.<); although my acne did worsen months after the therapy, the long term effects of the drug could have cured my face of severe cystic acne. The long term effects of Isotretinoin could have coincided with the time I was applying Murad products. This has always been a puzzle to me since I had very severe cystic acne, and I know for a fact that no topical medication can treat a cystic acne condition.

I posted this because of the invitation of the original post. Although Murad Acne Complex, a topical skincare product set, might've not cured me of my acne permanently (I will have to live my whole life before I'll know the answer), it did help. I just consumed one package of Murad that was sent to me, and then switched to other products that I needed to maintain my skin's integrity (VMV Hypoallergenics Superskin for Oily Skin), because Murad was not available in my country then (I think). I am still enjoying an almost clear skin for five months now ever since I used Murad =) The positive effects of Murad was apparent on my skin after just one month of usage.

The point that I would like to make here is that - absolutely in my own opinion, I think topical medications do help. It did in my case. I am indeed skeptical to the idea that topical products can cure acne permanently, that's why I am on maintenance. It's still going well for me. I hope it continues to be so =)

There are many different cases of acne and countless factors that could influence it. I don't want to put off anything as absolute - not doing anything could work out for you as much as doing something could work for somebody else.

Listen to your skin ^___^ LOL XD

I may be wrong, but I think you are a female. As I have already said here, women tend to have acne no matter what because of their monthly fluctuating hormones. This is why birth control helps often.

Either way, it is great to hear that you have had success. Good luck in the future!

for the guy that started this post .. how bad was your acne at its worst? i think it sounds like a great idea, but its really not practical for someone with a legitimate skin problem. If i stop using topicals i break out worse and it bothers me. I have tried it. I guess i never quit caring about it all together .. but not caring about something doesnt make it magically go away. If a diabetic stops caring about his/her blood sugar does it solve anything .. fuck no .. it would exacerbate their problems. I see it as the same thing for someone with an acne problem. I totally agree that you can overdo it with topicals because i used to do that, but not caring would be disastrous for some people's skin and would ultimately probably come back to bite them at some point. I mean it would be fantastic to just up and quit caring about it ... and even better if that actually cured the problem. That is not possible for a lot of people .. especially those who do have pretty bad acne. I guess a lot of our lives would be better if we just quit caring about it all together .. unfortunately mirrors exist lol. Im pretty far from optimistic when it comes to acne .... but realistically speaking this would probably prove disadventageous for a lot of people. I recently (like the past week) tried to go without using anything on my face .. just wash it ... after about three days i started getting a nasty sucker on my left cheek that if i had just left it alone would have likely turned into a cyst (based on past experiences). My skin didnt get much worse .. it stayed pretty stagnant .. still mild acne/scars/etc., but i started getting a pimple larger than i have gotten since taking accutane ... and ive been using topicals since a few weeks after i stopped it. I suppose that in the time period of stopping everything i never quit caring about my skin completely .. i thought about it less bc i wasnt doing anything for it and it started to get a little worse. I have since conlcluded that doing nothing is probably a bad idea for me seeing as simply not caring or thinking about it is pretty hard given the condition of my face. I wish i could stop thinking about it honestly ... im pretty sure my skin would get worse if i did that though given my recent experience .. and even past experiences. If i missed a night or two of topicals in the past i was sure to start breaking out worse ... just another reason to not stop using them.

As I said in the beginning of this thread, some people really do have a skin CONDITION. Most people that I have met in person, or talked to on here, do not.

As for any regimen, you need to try it for at least a month before you make a judgment about how it works.

The most important message though, is that it isn't about getting rid of your acne. As long as "getting rid of acne" is all that is on your mind, you will just be adding to your stress.

I still get pimples from time to time, but now I just don't care. I see some others with pimples/acne/sever acne... and I just want to tell them they look great. They walk around with their sullen faces, girls especially... and they are really beautiful.

MemberMember
(@insidemyhead27)

Posted : 10/21/2010 7:27 pm

I think there's definately some truth to this. Not 100% maybe, but I DEFINATELY notice that when i start to stress out over one or 2 pimples, that's when a dozen others emerge. and i start to feel like crapppppppp. so which came first? i dont know. but i love this quote from the last harry potter book, it kind of describes this phenomenon (as well as life in general - and yes im a huge harry potter dork):

"of course it's all happening inside your head, harry, but why on earth should that mean it's not real?"

MemberMember
(@wraithxl)

Posted : 12/07/2010 4:51 am

Drink water.. Try it! Lots of water and fresh fruits and veggies. Water makes the mind function better, which in turn, gives you self confidence. I'm telling you, I feel so good, and I dont even have a craving for alchohol which I used to love. First week of drinking h20 and a lil sea salt, and staying away from white flour, and can you believe it? NO GAS! I mean, no farts/flatulence whatsoever. So white flour is a culprit for my gas. But anyways, water brought back my energy from my youth, my skin looks younger, and I actually look foward to the next day! Sorry about the fart topic, but those of you acne sufferers who also have gas daily, try to stay away from white flour/breads. You will still have gas, because that is natural afterall, but not as bad, and not as stinky.

Back to water... I'm telling you my fellow acne sufferers... I was somewhat suicidal or had many suicidal thoughts because of my acne and scars. The only thing keeping me alive was the love for my family and not letting them down. I know what your going through, it's rough. I used to hate seeing people laughing in a corner, and then stare at me while they are laughing..Maybe the joke was not on me, but it sure felt like it. So if you really want a natural method, stay hydrated by water only. An occasional other liquid once in a while should be alright, but you need water to hydrate, no other drink can hydrate like water can. Try drinking lots for at least a week. If you don't like the way you feel by then, you can ignore my advice and do what you do best. I know, there are probably people that have been dehydrated for years, and no signs of acne. Keep in mind, that they may have other problems internally.

Peace. My fellow humans.

Edit* It's been 2 weeks now of me drinking lots of water. I counted one microscopic pimple on my nose, but I know it will be gone by tomorro morning. Since those two weeks I have been pretty much acne free, and the scars seem to be fading.

MemberMember
(@rubberduck)

Posted : 12/07/2010 12:51 pm

your a great guy, I have alot of respect for you mate, as you said, not many people stick around to help others after theyve beat acne, so thanks for that! I'm going to try your advice, but i'm scared that my skin might be use to BP, so I might break out without it? And I have exams this year too! A little bit of advice would be great! :)

MemberMember
(@matt-f)

Posted : 12/17/2010 8:54 am

Cool topic.

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 12/30/2010 1:28 pm

I think there's definately some truth to this. Not 100% maybe, but I DEFINATELY notice that when i start to stress out over one or 2 pimples, that's when a dozen others emerge. and i start to feel like crapppppppp. so which came first? i dont know. but i love this quote from the last harry potter book, it kind of describes this phenomenon (as well as life in general - and yes im a huge harry potter dork):

"of course it's all happening inside your head, harry, but why on earth should that mean it's not real?"

Yep, you make your own reality more than you know.

Drink water.. Try it! Lots of water and fresh fruits and veggies. Water makes the mind function better, which in turn, gives you self confidence. I'm telling you, I feel so good, and I dont even have a craving for alchohol which I used to love. First week of drinking h20 and a lil sea salt, and staying away from white flour, and can you believe it? NO GAS! I mean, no farts/flatulence whatsoever. So white flour is a culprit for my gas. But anyways, water brought back my energy from my youth, my skin looks younger, and I actually look foward to the next day! Sorry about the fart topic, but those of you acne sufferers who also have gas daily, try to stay away from white flour/breads. You will still have gas, because that is natural afterall, but not as bad, and not as stinky.

Back to water... I'm telling you my fellow acne sufferers... I was somewhat suicidal or had many suicidal thoughts because of my acne and scars. The only thing keeping me alive was the love for my family and not letting them down. I know what your going through, it's rough. I used to hate seeing people laughing in a corner, and then stare at me while they are laughing..Maybe the joke was not on me, but it sure felt like it. So if you really want a natural method, stay hydrated by water only. An occasional other liquid once in a while should be alright, but you need water to hydrate, no other drink can hydrate like water can. Try drinking lots for at least a week. If you don't like the way you feel by then, you can ignore my advice and do what you do best. I know, there are probably people that have been dehydrated for years, and no signs of acne. Keep in mind, that they may have other problems internally.

Peace. My fellow humans.

Edit* It's been 2 weeks now of me drinking lots of water. I counted one microscopic pimple on my nose, but I know it will be gone by tomorro morning. Since those two weeks I have been pretty much acne free, and the scars seem to be fading.

Water has endless benefits. Mostly though, if you are drinking a lot of water, you are not as thirsty and are less likely to drink some sugar filled drink.

your a great guy, I have alot of respect for you mate, as you said, not many people stick around to help others after theyve beat acne, so thanks for that! I'm going to try your advice, but i'm scared that my skin might be use to BP, so I might break out without it? And I have exams this year too! A little bit of advice would be great! :)

I don't come around too often, but I do try to stop by every now and then. I get quite a few emails from people, so that keeps me in touch fairly often.

My advice is to not worry. If your skin is used to BP, then you most certainly need to get off.

Realize that you are your own worst critic. Other people REALLY don't care about your acne as much as you think they do... I promise. If you have any direct questions, feel free to ask here or via private message. I may not come around often, but all private messages come strait to my email, which I check almost daily.

Cool topic.

Glad you like it.

This round of comments has a much better tone then the past round...Maybe this is a good sign.

MemberMember
(@fnix)

Posted : 12/30/2010 1:41 pm

food does not effect acne. stop making yourselves more depressed by eating boring foods, indulge yourselves, your suffering mental pain the least you could do for yourselves is eat anything you want. acne is cause by 3 things only, dead skin cells, oil production, and bacteria, get rid of these and you're acne free.

MemberMember
(@yourworstnightmare)

Posted : 12/31/2010 3:07 pm

food does not effect acne. stop making yourselves more depressed by eating boring foods, indulge yourselves, your suffering mental pain the least you could do for yourselves is eat anything you want. acne is cause by 3 things only, dead skin cells, oil production, and bacteria, get rid of these and you're acne free.

In some cases it does.