Fish Oil reviews

3.7/5 - 244 reviews

Fish Oil

May work for some people...
Reviewed on August 18, 2017

But didn't work for me. Gave my very oily skin and hair. My scalp even broke out.

I love eating fish but fish oil supplement is not for me.

Caused breakout
Reviewed on April 7, 2017

Had been using natural yoghurt as a face mask and taking omega 3 capsules for two weeks,, my skin cleared up massively and a lot of the redness and patchiness went away,, however after about two weeks my skin suddenly broke out with a lot of cysts and redness and is taking longer than usual to go away ,, would not recommend

Not for me
Reviewed on January 11, 2017

The only supplements that really work to control my hormonal acne are zinc and vitamin d3.

Go to a website called "clearskinforever", they explain there why zinc and vitamin D work, while fish oil could actually make it worse.

Best of luck!

FO caplets = BAD, eating fish = GOOD
Reviewed on October 24, 2016

Oily, hormonal-acne skin. So years ago I was taking fish oil *caplets* for my health and I think (though not sure) that the caplets were causing some cysts because they stopped forming once I stopped taking the caplets. And a family member said the caplets made their skin very oily. If you read about fish oil caplets, some would say that the oil is of inferior quality or is even rancid and thus could be causing acne... HOWEVER! I started eating fish everyday (herring, sardines, occasionally salmon - NOT the big mercury fishes) and it does not cause acne, and instead I think it helps my skin! One day I visited Little Tokyo LA and ate of nothing but sashimi/sushi that day and the next day my skin was glowing. So, fish oil helps but not as caplets, but as actual fish!

May cause cystic acne
Reviewed on November 17, 2015

I took these for about a month and they did nothing for my general health. I didn't feel like they were beneficial a all. Also my skin was left unimproved and I even got a few cystic pimples on my chin. May be helpful for some but definitely not for me! They may have more effect in the long term but I had to stop because of the cystic acne.

Don't be fooled with dosage
Reviewed on August 21, 2015

I have long been a proponent of fish oil for all of the well documented benefits. For several years I would give my daughter several pills a day for pcos and acne, but it did not seem to make much of a dent. I finally got serious about looking at the EPA and DHA content and discovered that her dosage was way less than expected. I bought a liquid fish oil and gave her about 3000-4500 mg of EPA+DHA per day. Her skin went from seriously acne prone (blackheads and pimples) to clear in a matter of a few days. This has been an eye opener for both of us. She is also gluten and dairy free, but it wasn't until good doses of fish oil that her skin cleared up.

may be doing you harm
Reviewed on April 20, 2015

I have been taking fish oil for a number of years to combat seborrheic dermatitis and joint pain from years of playing sport. It has really helped with pain in my knee but reading all these negative reviews got me thinking about it's impact on acne. I stopped taking my daily fish oil only 9 days ago and my skin is 90% clearer! I have had a terrible summer with cystic acne and until reading some of these reviews I would never have put two and two together. If you have been supplementing with fish oil long term I suggest you ditch it for a week or two and see what happens.

by Helpingforabetterworld on 04/24/2015 22:26
Try Vitamin B5, with L-Cysteine and Vitamin C. If you Had oily skin like I did it will work wonders.
Helps Inflammation but is not a cure
Reviewed on March 8, 2015

Been taking fish oil for about a year now . Has definitely helped my acne appear less red but haven't seemed much of a decrease in acne. Still definitely worth taking as Omegas are very good for you

Doesn't break me out
Reviewed on March 3, 2015

I take this stuff for preventative heart health ( I'm genetically predisposed to heart disease) and it doesn't break me out. I take a few supplements though so I'm not sure whether or not it helps clear my skin.

I had high hopes but it didn't work for me
Reviewed on February 26, 2015

I started taking fish oil supplements after reading a great book on the overabundance of omega6's in the diet and the great effect omega 3's have against inflamation in the body, the positive effect on mood regulation, specifically in people with bi-polar disorder, and the possiblity it might reduce acne. I will say that the high potentcy supplement I have been taking for the last month has done wonders for my mood and temper and it's only 300mg of EPA and 400mg of DHA (or possibly I've switched the two but you get the idea.) Anyhow, this past Monday (Feb 23) I decided I would double my dose, one in the morning and one at night. Well, it's Wed and I've already developed a cyst on my forehead and then tiny, really hard bumps in a couple other places on my face and neck. The first night I took it about 30 minutes after I started to get a prickly warm feeling all over my face. I didn't notice anything weird the next morning and I don't know if the feeling is even related to what's going on with my skin, I just wanted to be detailed. Anyhow, I have not had a cyst in...well, I can't remember and I'm pushing 40. About my acne- I never really had cystic acne in the first place, it was mostly moderate from the 15-20 and then with peels etc it's been pretty mild the last 10-15 years. So, to sum up, two days ago I doubled my fish oil supplement and now I've got a decent sized cyst and some angry hard (I mean like their is a pearl under the skin-hard!) red bumps so I will be going back to my one a day routine as it really has been incredible for mood regulation (and yes, I am a legit diagnosed bi-po, in case you're wondering.) Last thing- one of the NIH studies on omega3s and acne notes that the subjects in their study who "deteriorated" ie had an increase in acne were classified as mild cases. It seems to be good for moderate acne so give it a try. You will know right away if it works or not. And as far as why I'm giving it such a high rating despite it making things worse for my skin- as a bi-po who refuses to take psychiatric drugs and has definitely paid for it (interpersonal issues) fish oil feels like a real solution.