Coconut Oil Reviews

Coconut Oil

Giant90

Think For Yourself

Opinions are everywhere on the internet. All you can do is try to think for yourself and filter out ignorance. There is four awesome reasons backed by scientific research to use coconut oil for acne. There is only one shady reason not to. Four against one is decent odds. -It is 15x more antibacterial then benzoyl peroxide. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19387482 -Moisturizes better than dermatologist-favored treatments https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24320105 -Contains anti-inflammatory substances https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3666817/ -Coconut oil works as a decent sunblock https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3140123/ -Coconut oil has a high comedogenic rating. 4v1... enough said

Amazing!

I used this product after some topical treatments had my skin raw and peeling. I was afraid it would cause more acne but I was desperate to soothe my skin. I have been using this nightly since and find my skin glowing and plump the next morning with my acne looking less inflamed.

Comments

Great but clogs pores if used incorrectly

Ive never slathered it on my face and left it overnight before, but I would use it on my eyelashes and around my eyes and sometimes I'd wake up with breakouts around the area where I put it on. BUT, one time I did the African clay mask with Apple cider vinegar and the next day my face was raw, red, and flaking. I didn't know what to do so I grabbed coconut oil and massaged it into my skin and washed it off with a gentle cleanser. It calmed my skin and helped with the dryness and it didn't give me any breakouts. So once in a while if I'm desperate I'll rub some on my face in the shower before washing, that way the oil won't be sitting on my skin overnight and clogging my pores. I love coconut oil for cooking because it can withstand a high heat and it's antimicrobial/antibacterial with healthy fats. At first I was hesitant about sautéing veggies with it cause I thought they'd come out tasting like coconut but it gives them a wonderful flavor. I love using it in place of butter when baking breads and muffins. It's also amazing for stovetop popcorn topped with some pink salt!! It's the only oil I use in the kitchen. It's also good to put on after shaving my legs to keep them smooth.

Magically soothes skin

I don't exactly use this for acne, but when I've used coconut oil on my entire face I had no new pimples. More importantly, when my skin reacted awfully to something (no idea what, and I tested everything I had put on my face), coconut oil was the only thing that helped my chapped, red, burning face. As a moisturizer it can't be beat, but as it may cause acne breakouts, start with a very small amount and see what happens before embracing the oil.

Comments

Plz be extremely careful with this

Used coconut oil for a long time. Gave me clogged pores for months which I still cant get rid of and then later these clogged pores became cystic acne. I never had cystic acne in my life. I researched a lot n the internet and found that some people including me have ruined thier skin because of this oil. I am suffering since 4 months and finally had to go on accutane. Plz be careful with this. Stop as soon as you get whiteheads.

Comments

Patch test or something beforehand!

Used this and thought it felt kinda nice to put on. I noticed it felt warm to apply for some reason. I thought I'd check out my skin later on and noticed some red on my left cheek and ignored it. I looked again later and noticed black heads thst I didn't have before on my chin and on the side of my nose. Dark black ones..the nasty kind. The redness is definitely some irritation. It kept burning slightly and won't stop burning me now on my left cheek even though I washed I off!. I used this to help my acne, not cause an reaction and big nasty blackheads. Good for some people but boy it didn't like me!

Coconut oil is comodegenic. Clogs pores.

Broke me out massively!

After reading so much about the benefits of Coconut Oil i decided to give it a go on my skin... BIG MISTAKE! I broke out bad overnight, despite only using a small amount of oil on my skin. But I do have big pores, so maybe it could just be my skin that it doesn't suit. I do use it for my hair though and leave it in overnight which moisturises my hair massively, so the purchase was still worth it.

Coconut oil is comodegenic. Clogs pores.

Great benefits if you're willing to have clogged pores

This stuff is full of antifungal and antibacterial fatty acids that help kill acne bacteria. But because it's such a heavy oil, it clogs pores and makes your skin oily very quickly, which will eventually lead to more acne and lots of blackheads. It's okay as a short term and occasional treatment, but I highly recommend not using this every day. I've seen people putting this all over their face, that's a big NO! This is OIL, oil clogs pores and you can't avoid that. Add a little to your daily moisturizer or use it as a spot treatment, this isn't something to smear all over your face. That being said, this stuff dissolves makeup. Literally. Any makeup you have on, using this as cleansing oil will get rid of it all. Just be sure to exfoliate and cleanse afterwards to remove the excess coconut oil from your face. If you want the benefits of this oil without the clogged pores, eat it! Taking a spoonful every morning has many skin benefits, as well as other benefits for your body. Use with caution people!

please don't do this!!

Honestly, if I could, I would give this zero stars. Maybe it works for some people, but after trying the oil cleansing method with coconut oil over two years ago, my acne has exploded into a nightmare of cysts, blocked pores, oiliness, and red marks from the constant onslaught of pimples. After realising how comedogenic coconut oil is, I understand how it blocked my pores in the first place, but I cannot for the life of me understand why I have ongoing acne from using this. Perhaps it messed up the pH of my skin or something like that? All I know for sure is my skin was almost perfect before I tried coconut oil and now it's ruined and I would do anything to go back and tell myself to PUT THE DAMN COCONUT OIL DOWN and stick to my perfectly good skincare routine. This review probably sounds crazy but I just want to tell anyone considering coconut oil to do so at your own risk.

The BEST I've tried so far

I can't say enough good things about coconut oil. I've looked and looked for something that would help me and I can honestly say that I wish I would have tried it earlier. I only use a little bit at night and I wake up with glowing skin. I occasionally have a pimple here and there when my hormones are acting up but it's rare nowadays. The best thing about it is that it's cheap and effective. I brought a jar at Walmart and it lasts a very, very long time cause a little goes a long way.

Comments

Coconut oil saved my oily acne prone skin!

I've been using coconut oil on my hair for a little less than two years and I've read and seen people online claiming that coconut oil worked wonders on acne prone skin. All this time, I was always reluctant to use coconut oil on face -- it didn't feel right and I was afraid that it was going to clog my pores. About a week, I decided to give it a try and, let me tell you, IT IS the best decision I have ever made in whole life. I haven't had a pimple since coconut oil came into my life. The few pimples/bumps that I had are actually fading away. Also, my face has been getting brighter and healthy looking. My current skincare routine (day/night): - Wash my face with Lush's Herbalism (it's expensive but I don't care because it works. I'd still buy it even if it was a 100 bucks) - Lush's toner water Melaleuca (optional) - Organic virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer (I use less than a dime size, a little goes a long way) - Once or twice a week, I use raw honey mixed with lemon as mask. Leave it on for 15-30 minutes, then I wash it off. I used to do these steps before coconut oil but I was still breaking out. However, my face has drastically changed ever since I've incorporated coconut oil in my skincare regimen.

Moisturizing and Soothing

Coconut oil is amazing and has so many benefits for the skin. However, I do think it is best used in moderation for most people, especially if you are trying it for the first time. I think some of the people who have negative experiences with it tend to over-do it. I use it to cleanse my skin 1-2 times a week in the shower using the oil-cleansing method. I really like it because it gently takes off all my make-up & my skin is left feeling super fresh and soft. I have sensitive, normal/dry skin with old acne scars. I also love that it's natural and super simple - just one ingredient. My only complaint?? Having to move it back and forth from the bathroom and the kitchen all the time! Haha :)

Comments

It absolutely works for me - the results even I still can't believe

I have had acne for FOREVER and treated it with everything under the sun. I was one step away from asking to try Accutane. One evening I washed my face with a tea tree oil lathering cleanser and slathered a light layer of coconut oil on my face before bed. Can't tell you why other than I had heard that it had anti-bacterial qualities. It went against EVERYthing I know about oily skin and acne. The next morning my skin was not shiny or oily, but it looked better. I washed again with the tea tree oil lathering cleanse rand applied makeup (no coconut oil during the day). I proceeded with the same routine and have not stopped since. It's been over 6 months and my skin has NEVER looked better. It looks hydrated and clear. I clean and apply every night and clean in the morning. I don't apply makeup on the weekend anymore because, well, I don't need to! It may not work for everyone, but I cannot believe it worked. I do still get a big ole zit now and again (probably hormonal). It's low cost and natural. I don't own stock in coconut oil or anything - but it is AWESOME!

Brilliant

My skin changes with the seasons. In summer it's fine, not too dry and not too oily, in autumn/spring the texture is off and is oily in my t-zone and dry on my cheeks (that's where I used to have cysts), in winter my skin is oily af. Coconut oil tricks my skin into believing that it doesn't need to produce oil, thus my skin is moisturized but not oily. It's great for oil clensing, but it only works for a few people, if it makes you breakout don't use it. I have also used coconut oil after sunburn and after dermarolling (because the pain is very similar) and it really sooths the skin and leaves it soft and smooth.

love coconut

I love coconut oil too. I got a giant tub and It has done wonders for DS's excezma prone skin. Very moisturizig without any chemicals to irritate skin. It's great head to toe. The only drawback, I wouldn't recemend using it during the day. It does take some time to absorb, and can stain clothes. But it's great at night.

Comments

good

I has started using it instead of shaving cream as I kept getting a shaving rash - I m loving it. The best thing about coconut oil is that's it's all natural - no chemicals or preservatives. I will always use coconut oil!

It changed my life!!

I've been having cystic acne breakouts for years and I've tried everything OTC and prescription, including Accutane, and nothing worked. The virgin coconut oil was the only thing that resolved my cystic acne. I only tried it because I saw it on Pintrest and I thought I had nothing to lose. So I went to Target and bought the organic virgin coconut oil, and the second I put it on my face I knew I made the right decision. My skin felt instantly better and I haven't had a cystic node since. I occasionally get one or two white heads but they're gone in 2 days and very easily manageable. I think I was just over drying my face which lead to my acne. This is my routine: Wake up and wash my face with warm water. Then I tone with a 1:1 ration of water and apple cider vinegar and let it dry. Next, I oil up my face with coconut oil and I'm done. Super fast and easy, plus it feels great and I smell coconut all day.

What brand did you get? And is it unrefined or refined? Thanks!

Clogs pores

I used coconut oil to moisturize + remove makeup and a few weeks later my skin was not only clogged but the texture was rough, my skin looked darker than my own complexion, and it looked dirty. I started breaking out even more and decided to add tea tree oil into the mix to help acne ... I was wrong it made it worst. After I stopped using oils to moisturize my skin (Months ago) my skins texture is back to normal, my complexion is even and my skin is glowing. Don't use coconut oil on your face if you have Combo-oily skin! I recommend Neutrogena oil free moisturizer I have been using it for 2 months and I see a huge difference.

its good

I lightly apply a layer of it to my face and body immediately after the shower and sometimes at night before I go to sleep. My skin has never been softer and I don't break out at all. I have tried the oil pulling, teeth whitener thing and it worked as well.

COCONUT OIL SUCKS FOR ACNE

If you have oily/sweaty skin DON'T TRY COCONUT OIL!!!!! One of the worst things I have EVER done to my spots and I have had acne for about 6 years now. I used it for a week and my spots popped up out of control, they were the worst they've ever been. Having said all this, coconut oil is AMAZING on the rest of your body, I literally put it everywhere, I mix it with shea butter and tea tree oil and then I put it all over my body and in my hair, does wonders for your edges. Coconut oil is also really good for your genital area ladies. Back to acne: I suggest assessing how severe your acne is and if it's pretty bad then go see a dermatologist and ask them about Isotetrinoin/Accutane tablets which I am currently taking, they are really doing the job. I live in the UK so it was free as I'm under 18. I have no spots which is pretty amazing for me, I just need to get rid of my acne scars and I'm making them worse by picking them :( (nervous habit). Don't be like me, DON'T PICK YOUR SPOTS/SCABS. The BEST treatment for acne scars is using an exfoliating brush set and using pure aloe vera gel with a very basic moisturiser like Cetaphil. My skin is glowing and the transformation is just amazing really. P.S the main side effect of the tablets is dry lips and I mean reallyyyyy dry :( and also your doctor will have to monitor you closely and stuff because there are other possible side effects. You're also not allowed at any cost to get pregnant 4 months before or after or during the treatment because the baby could be harmed by the tablets but your doctor will explain it all (I didn't have to worry about this because I'm 16 and I signed to say that I'm not sexually active but they still make me do a pregancy test each time). Here is a link to the exfoliating brushes I use and a 70% discount code too so it should be like $47 :) [link removed] DISCOUNT CODE: JAYSPA

acne.org have removed the link :( :( but if you want the brushes you can @ me on twitter or instagram @adaezeldn for the link or just go to Vanity Planet online and search for the Ultimate Skin Spa System facial brushes :)

good but not great

I use it to remove make up and it works great. I do not recommend leaving this on your skin as It is a very heavy oil and will clog your pores without a doubt.It will make your skin break out but Hair is a different story. This is lovely as a hair mask. It is great for dry scalps.

Comments

Does a coconut oil review even need words?

I use Organic virgin coconut oil for EVERYTHING. - Skin and hair moisturiser. - Part of my homemade hair conditioner. - Cooking and baking. - I supplement with 1 teaspoon daily as it is has antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties.

User523878

worked for a week

I used coconut oil for 3 weeks. The first week was amazing: I rarely got an infection, everything was healing faster (old and new scars) and my skin just felt amazing. After that week things just got back to how they were before I started using coconut oil. It wasn't teribble but I got infections pretty often, especially really small whiteheads on my forehead. Also my skin didn't feel as soft and amazing as it did the first week. I would recommend trying it but only if you have really light acne that could be cured relatively fast or some scarring that you want to get rid of. Good luck! :)

Popular Vitamins/Supplements