Witch Hazel reviews

4.3/5 - 249 reviews

T.N. Dickinson's All Natural Astringent For Face and Body, 16 oz
updated: 09/30/2016 21:54 UTC
Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Organic Aloe Vera Formula Toner, Rose Petal, 12 fl oz
updated: 09/30/2016 21:54 UTC

Witch Hazel

Not for everyone, and certainly not for me!
Reviewed on July 30, 2017

My mom told me witch hazel is good for break outs, so I decided to try it instead of a rose water toner. During the first week of using it, I didn't see my skin getting any better or worse. During the second week, I started breaking out in places I have rarely before, like the sides of my cheeks, my hair line, and my temples. The pimples were on the smaller size and were some were more red than others, but none of them were whiteheads,nor turned into them. I was completely horrified. I stop wearing makeup in the summer (bedsides mascara), so going back to wearing fountain and powder in the 80 degree humid Connecticut weather (and where I worked had NO AC was a bit of struggle. I stopped using witch hazel and switched back to the Mario Badescu rose water toner and formula 10.0.6 Best Face Forward daily cleanser and their mattifying daily moisturizer, and things started to look better. I also use honey and brown sugar on my face, in the shower, two or three times a week and let it sit for five minute (works wonders on lips too!) because the sugar naturally exfoliates skin and get rid of those little pesky forehead pimples, and the Aztec Clay Mask almost every other night with apple cider vinegar. I have struggled with acne for years and at one point my face was just on big literal pimple. Getting back to basics with natural simple product is really whats best for you face. Even though Witch hazel is a natural astringent it ins't right for everybody, and don't keep using it hoping it will get better! find another natural skin-care product that instantly soothes and compliments you skin. Keep it natural! Other good natural skin-care lines I would recommend is LUSH, and Dr. Bronners.

If I could only have one skin care product this would be it.
Reviewed on July 27, 2017

I never write reviews but am writing one in hopes that I may help someone out.

About 2 months ago I had decided that I wanted to try a completely natural approach to combating my oily skin/acne. I purchased Apple Cider Vinegar, a Bentonite Clay Mask, Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe and JoJoba oil.

I began toning with witch hazel morning And night, using the mask (mixed with acv) and applying JoJoba oil at night.

This was helping a lot, but I was still feeling oily and having to use the mask every day. So instead of leaving the jojoba oil on my face, I began using it more like a face wash with cold water. I also switched all of my makeup to natural oil-free makeup. This is my skincare regimen now-

Wash with organic natural facewash

Tone with Witch Hazel (using cotton ball)

Clean makeup brush with alcohol and papertowel

Once dry, apply my makeup.

Wash again at night (with hot water)

Tone with Witch Hazel

Rinse with cold water and jojoba oil

Pat dry

If I'm feeling oily sometimes I skip the jojoba oil wash and just put a little on my undereyes and any dry areas before bed.

Sorry that wasn't so long, I'm just excited because for the first time in my life I can be comfortable in front of people without skin makeup on!

Used 3 days breaking out bad but it get worst before better
Reviewed on February 10, 2017

Ok so to start of two years i was pregnant my skin was the best I ever it had ever been i never could go with out wearing makeup due to my scars but being pregnant I actually could go with out it was a great feeling, also my eating habits definitely change to be more healthy . After having my child my skin started to go back to having acne but it was manageable, once I got on b.c my skin definitely didn't adjust to the changes an it seems to be getting worst. I Google natural ways to heal and prevent acne and first thing popped up was witch hazel went out and got it that night and was so excited to try it. I also purchased hair skin and nail vitamins along with zinc. I've been taking the vitamins twice a day and using witch hazel once in the morning after I wash my face, once before I put my makeup on as a toner and two times at night. I believe my skin is purging because both my cheeks and chin is filled with white heads and painful pimples under the skin. I also am detoxing my body with lemon water and after this container of ice cream is gone I will be going on a no sugar (sweets ) diet to shock my body into being healthy again. I have notice many pimples that haven't come to a head before me using witch hazel are having a head and other ones are forming certain parts of my face and in some areas it hurts. On my of off days Sunday through Wednesday I will be going with out makeup completely. I have my notice my skin softer and smooth as of right now my skin is going through that awkward stage of healing I seen oils also help such a tea tree oil which tonight I'm buy for scaring also along with vitamin e helps when you bust open the gel to move scaring and eucalyptus to open the pores to help remove the infection from the acne and lavender to calm the skin will be my next purchase I am hoping in a few weeks my skin will bounce back I may also get prenantals just to help with my skin and why not lol. I also think I'm ask my doctor for another birth control to help with the extra levels of estrogen never got a refill from the one I was prescribe before but it did clear my skin up a bit last time I used it. I think drinking more soda then water and always having a sweet tooth has definitely took a toll on my body and your body(skin mostly face) will tell you when it needs sonething or to stop something. Hopefully in a few weeks I can give another review or edit this one, to help anyone that may have the same skin symptoms i do. Acne sucks makes anyone who has it badly feel insecure I hate being around my fiance without makeup he tells me he loves me with out makeup but it's hard to believe him when majority of your face is filled with little pores filled with dirt, puss and infection. I tell him all the time that as long as he finds me attractive and beautiful who cares even though I really do. Good luck to you all I though when you got older it got better lol

Gets rid of swelling
Reviewed on August 12, 2016

When I first got acne and it wasn't as bad, I used this to wash my face with Witch Hazel every morning and night, and it seemed to do the trick. Of course it didn't get rid of my acne, but it definitely slowed things down. I don't use it now, because now my treatment works. (Coffee mask midday, and urine in the morning.) but all i know is that this stuff is GREAT for mosquito bites alongside with rubbing alcohol. Really gets rid of the itch.

by SaraNicole88 on 11/25/2016 21:05
Urine in the morning?
Absolutely love it
Reviewed on July 13, 2016

I use witch hazel every day, in the morning and at night, and I absolutely love it. I have been using it as a toner/moisturizer for the past few months and it has given my skin a natural glow and moisturizes my skin very well. I have had acne since I was a teenager and although it doesn't remove my terrible, stubborn acne it does keep my skin clean and helps prevent further breakouts outside my "acne zones".

I would definitely recommend this product, it also works as a great makeup remover that's gentle on the skin and it smells wonderful.

like it
Reviewed on May 13, 2016

I like this. I use it instead of a toner to help with my oily skin and let tell you ever since ive been using it not only is my skin less oily. It also is wonderful to have as a first aid ingredient for small irritations and insect bites etc. as it can help with inflammation and itching.A great product to have around.

Excellent
Reviewed on June 11, 2015

I am female and 25 years I have absurdly oily skin I'm talking 2-3 hours from now I could take a paper napkin wipe my face and you can see through it kinda oily skin. Needless to say A) I have hated it for most my life and B) it helps my more hormonal based acne flare ups flourish into vicious patches on my jawline and near my ears / neck that make me want to put my face in a paper sack when I go out. I have tried every major brand over the years with minimal improvement ( my doctor finally put me on birth control which helped enormously) recently I've been going through a bad break out patch like I haven't seen since like the 7-8th grade *ugh* however I took a stack of paper towels cut them in half and put them in 2 old grocery store celery Tupperwares I added a cup of distiller water, 1/2 - 3/4ths a thing of dickinsons witch hazel a splash of tea tree oil and let this all absorb. I leave one on my desk for when I am doing hw, gaming, Netflix, etc. the other is in the bathroom every couple hours I reach over open it up grab a towel and wipe my face, neck, cleavage, and shoulders ....basically whatever I can reach. I find this to have helped immensely the redness has gone down and the pimples shrank my skin looks much nicer. Something to be aware of though it is going to bring pimples underneath your skin to head so to speak... so sometimes it look a little bad before it gets better but it will clear it up / make it less bad or at least it did for me and my extremely oily skin. I didn't find it to be overdrying nor the smell to be offensive.

~update almost a full year after original review I still use this method and find it very helpful I even got a spray bottle to use on my back after showering and before bed. I did end up going to a dermatologist who told me given that my acne was locate almost primarily on my lower jaw/neck area and given its appearance it was not regular acne instead it was an issue with my hormones which was why while I was achieving results decreasing the appearance of my acne it was not going away completely. I was treated with doxy-cycline for a few months and it cleared up beautifully now I use my witch hazel combo on my regular acne and it works wonders on making it dry up and go away. ( The Dr. Was kind enough to tell me that nothing I could have done would have helped clear it and nothing I was doing wrong was causing it. This made me feel better than you can imagine. I wish I could post pictures because there is literally almost a year of my life where the thought of going out in public almost made me cry because I had this red rash on my neck and people would actually ask me what is wrong. Now I am back to my occasional oil and or hormonal outbreaks that are easily combated with my witch hazel it dries up the oil and acne and at least to me is helping to slowly decrease the appearance of my acne scaring on my jaw although that could be the tea tree oil in it. Point being try this if you have oily acne prone skin but if it is bad enough also known as it actually hurts and looks like a rash or just is making you miserable I'd recommend seeing a dermatologist sooner rather than later it took months to get in to see mine.)

by Sukibear612 on 08/21/2015 22:54
I seem to have the same skin type and problem areas as you do. Screw those oil blotter sheets I could go through a whole pack of those things in a day, so I know what you mean when you say you can take a napkin to your face and have it turn see through. I love the Tupperware idea and definitely have to try it with your homemade concoction. Thanks so much for the tips!
Doesn't work well with my skin
Reviewed on April 4, 2016

I used T.N Dickinson's witch hazel for just over a week, I'd say 6 months ago. This witch hazel actually made my face break out quite moderately. But I don't think it felt too harsh on my skin when I applied it. I'm not entirely sure, but it may have activated the moderate-severe acne that I have right now (but I don't think it was the real reason why). This witch hazel only contains 100% Distilled Witch Hazel and 14% Alcohol. I am actually suspecting the alcohol made me break out more so than the witch hazel, because I recently tried a new cleansing gel and cream that had alcohol in the ingredients and it also made me break out, after my skin was already doing so well! At least now I know what I should stay away from. Probably would have been better if I used an organic/natural witch hazel, alcohol-free. Nonetheless, witch hazel might still work for you. Remember to be observant about what your skin likes and does not like, good luck!

by AustinAgliata on 06/06/2016 03:47
You broke out because you only used it for a week... with every facial cleansing product there's going to be a purge period where the cleanser brings all the oil, dirt, and other stuff buried in your pores to the surface causing you to break out.. with all these products it gets worse before it gets better. You breaking out from it meant it was cleaning out your pores.. that's why with any facial cleansing product you should use it for at least 3 weeks before deciding if it's working or not. By the 3rd week you should start clearing up tremendously. If you dont, that'd when you know it's doing more harm than good and you should try another product.. do research before saying something doesn't work when in reality you just don't know what you're talking about.
by kelbell812 on 08/02/2016 12:44
^^To the other person that commented... First off, rude much?? There's no need for that, especially considering you aren't even right. Not every facial cleansing product is going to cause a purge. That's completely false. ONLY products with active ingredients that increase cell turnover will do that (i.e. AHAs, BHAs, topical acne creams). Witch hazel does not contain any of these and should not make you purge. Witch Hazel can simply be irritating to some people's skin, especially if it contains alcohol or if you don't dilute it. If you are breaking out from something that does not contain active ingredients, it means it's not working for your skin and you should stop.
by careofkj on 11/15/2016 00:58
To kelbell812, thank you for replying to AustinAgliata who I found to be very rude as well, especially given that FastAcrylic was only simply trying to give HER OWN experience with the product and was in no way rude about explaining what had happened. I do agree with your comment as it's very accurate and informative for people reading reviews to get a better understanding .. FastAcrylic, I hope you've been able to find a product that gives your skin better results and thank you again to kelbell812 for taking the time to help set the record straight.
Pretty great!
Reviewed on February 21, 2016

I got the Dickinson's witch hazel bottle the other day from my local Walgreens. I have to admit, it makes an amazing toner make sure to put it on a couple of times a day, and it will definitely clear your pores and get rid of excess oil! It's not a miracle product of course, but it really improves the quality of your skin :))

Preparation H with 50% witch hazel.
Reviewed on January 22, 2016

Hello. If you like witch hazel, try Preparation H Cooling gel, which is 50% witch hazel and phenylephrine .25%. The phenylephrine helps reduce blood flow to a pimple or cyst, thus reducing the redness and pain. Witch Hazel also has these properties. It is a gel, so the witch hazel will stay where you put it, and penetrate better. Use it for spot treatment, not your whole face. The name says cooling but there is no menthol. Try it. It seems to reduce the life of the pimple, while reducing redness. Only buy this specific type of Preparation H. The other creams or gels don't have witch hazel. I know this product is not specifically for acne, but I've read on other sites that people had some success with this, so use at your own risk.