Reviews
Efficacy
56%
Based on All Available Studies
Strength of Evidence
Note: Improvement significantly increases after 24 weeks.
Oral Contraceptive
Side Effects
High
Acne.org’s Real World Take
All oral contraceptives appear to clear the skin about the same amount. Some people report cessation of acne symptoms and others see partial relief. However, messing with hormones is messing with hormones and it’s best to proceed with caution. But if you’re looking to take the birth control pill anyway, one of the benefits is clearer skin.
How to Get It
Have a dermatologist? Make an appointment to get this medication.

Don't have a dermatologist? See The American Academy of Dermatology Physician Database to find one.
Read All About Drospirenone (Yasmin, Yaz)
17.4%
28.6%
22.5%
17.6%
14%

Used Drospirenone (Yasmin, Yaz)? Rate It:

Choose from 1 to 5 stars
December 24, 2021
I keep getting compliments on my skin

This is a review for a Yaz generic manufactured by Glenmark in India which I took for 4 years.  I’ve never taken the brand but I am very satisfied with how well even the generic cleared up my full face of severe cystic acne. 44 years old here and I’ve been taking birth control pills with no breaks for the last 25 years of my life.  It is the BEST birth control pill for acne that I came across out of many that I’ve tried.  Desogen and Mircette are excellent too but made me depressed.  Accutane worked but thinned my hair so much I wasn’t able to regain it long after discontinuing it.  Prescription topicals and antibiotics never gave me the perfect porcelain skin that Yaz gave me.  With Yaz, I don’t even need use any other acne treatments.  I don’t even think about acne.  I know it’s working when I saw how greatly reduced the sebum is on my face and scalp during the first month.  The sebum goes away first before the acne goes away.  It may take longer for the acne to improve if you have a severe case, usually up to 6 months.  I find that Yaz’s anti-androgenic effects continued to get stronger if taken for longer than that.  After 4 years, I had to switch to another pill because it was causing painful dry eye due to lack of lubricating oil.  I also noticed stronger anti-androgenic effects in continuous use where placebo pills are skipped.  There really is no need to have a period anyway.  Yaz’s active ingredient drospirenone is a cousin of spironolactone, making it its equivalent of 25mg.  I feel that it behaves like a much stronger dose.  I’d like to lower the dose but I can’t.  It doesn’t have the flexibility of dosing like the way spironolactone does.  Expect lots of peeing for the first few months.  Drink lots of water to counteract dehydration side effects such as palpitations, fatigue, headaches.  As for other side effects, I get anxiety for a few hours a day.  It exacerbates my existing insomnia and migraines.  Other than that, it is much tolerable than other birth control pills.  It doesn’t mess with my mood or energy.    If you’re unsatisfied with your results, you can always switch to a different generic made by a different manufacturer.  From what I experienced, generics have different effects from each other even though they are listed as the same ingredients.  This can be done without having your doctor write you another prescription, as long as you have refills left.  Just talk to your pharmacist.  I get better quality generics and customer service from a small local pharmacy than a large chain one.  About blood clots, yes, Yaz is notorious for that.  The risk is highest during your first year of taking it or when you restart after 4 weeks of not taking them.  That goes for any bc pill. So I believe “taking breaks” from birth control pills can cause more harm than good.  I plan to be on birth control pills for as long as I can so I can dodge menopause.  Good luck to anyone reading this!

February 11, 2021
First week of YAZ - will be updating!

Okay so, i've had acne since i was around 13 and I have just turned 18 and nothing has ever worked for my skin. I've tried antibiotics, prescribed creams and even the microgynon pill but none seemed to work. My skin only ever clears slightly when I'm on my period, but most of the time I just have acne everywhere - it's never cystic, and I defo don't have it as bad as some people but it's still bad probably around 15 pimples on an average day but all different sizes.

Anyways, I started YAZ a week ago and my skin has gone TERRIBLE lol but that's as expected. In addition to this, my boobs have grown (thank god!) about half a cup size and i'm having no emotional side effects as of yet. The worst side effect is defo the breakout, it's honestly so bad! My face is basically one huge spot and they're all so aggressive and sore but i'm praying they will start to clear at the 3rd month. I'll keep updating this when I get a change to any side effects :))

-Kate.

March 25, 2020
SECOND MONTH - ACNE WORSE

Hi! I am an Italian girl and I have been suffering from hormonal acne (especially on my chin) for almost 1 year beacuse of my PCOS. I tried different therapies with topical medication and antibiotics but nothing seems to work :( So, my doctor prescribed me Yasmin. I started to take this pill almost 2 months ago: the first month nothing changed (I just had normal breakouts especially before my period), but the second month has been awful, my face is a mess with lot of red and itcy bumps on my chin and even on my neck (where I usually don't have pimples). I called my dermatologist who told me that during the first 3 months skin can get worse (hormones need time to stabilize), so I should stick with it for at least another month to start seeing some improvements. I am very afraid, but if my skin is getting worse before it gets better, I will stick with it! Did any of you experience initial breakout before noticing skin improvements?

September 6, 2019
Stay away

If I could give this pill 0 stars, I would. I started this pill after I had mild acne, looking back at it now it’s nothing compared to what I have now. Back pain, feeling nauseous constantly, no energy, constantly tired and worst of all my cystic acne I have gained from this. There is not 1 area or my face that doesn’t have a huge boil like spot on it, it’s made me depressed, given me anxiety, I don’t want to leave my home and I have had to quit my job. I am embarrassed to go out with friends, I used to always be out and always talk to new people but my confidence has been shattered by this pill and no amount of make up can make it look any better. I developed hearing loss in both ears, which the drs have linked to this pill. It has been 6 weeks and I haven’t had any hearing, I have just finished my 2nd month on the pill. Avoid.

April 22, 2019
Not sure about this pill

I've been taking the Yasmin pill for 20 years now. It helped clear my acne a bit during puberty. However I'm now wondering if it's actually causing the cystic acne that I've had for almost 15 years, since it seems to clear up a bit every time I stop taking it for a week (which I only recently started doing). So I'm keeping the score at 3 stars.

March 6, 2019
BEWARE! DOES NOT WORK FOR ACNE OR PCOS!

I wish I listened to the bad reviews about this pill. I just wasted £30 on this crap. Before starting this pill I had oily skin, blackheads on nose and very mild acne, (mostly in the sides of my face), little acne on arms and a little on my back and it wasn’t too noticeable. I decided to take the pill for 3 months to reduce the oily skin and it hasn’t made my skin any better (my skin has gone much worse) . It has also caused the peach fuzz on my chin to darken slightly as well as my upper lip hairs to darken slightly.  My skin is now not good. It is still oily and I have visible acne on the sides of my face. Don’t take this pill for acne or PCOS BECAUSE FROM MY EXPERIENCE IT INCREASES TESTOSTERONE NOT DECREASES IT.

October 2, 2018
Acne ridden mess to kinda clear in 3 months
Just finished my third pack, and compared to how my skin was before, it has improved tremendously. I think I have a few more pimples coming in at the moment, one on my cheek, near my lip and on my forehead, but they're pretty small. Also, before starting the pill I was dealing with a lot of those little bumps on my forehead that take foreeevver to go away. They've cleared up A LOT but there is still some there, so I'll update next month on their status. The first month I had occasional mood swings (legit a couple fits of full blown tears for pretty much no reason.) I think my body/emotions just had to get used to the new hormones, because that hasn't happened since. My body, namely my butt and my boobs, have actually filled out quite a lot, so I've probably gained a bit of weight, but I honestly haven't checked because I like the way it looks. My only negative is that my boobs have been kind of sore, but nothing particularly bothersome. All in all I'm pretty happy so far. It definitely takes time. It's only been in the past couple weeks that I've really seen the improvement, but it's been getting better and better quicker and quicker.
November 10, 2018
Update: Currently on my fifth pack, my skin is almost completely clear except for one small pimple on my left cheek and some blackheads here and there (nose mainly). The bumps on my forehead are pretty much entirely gone, and my skin is soo soft. I think that has a lot to do with the skincare i've been using lately, but I know the pill was helping me before, so it's hard to tell what is working the best. Overall I'm thrilled with how my skin looks and feels, and would definitely recommend yaz in conjunction with a good skincare routine and drinking lots of water, provided the pill is an okay option for you health-wise. I stand by four stars because while yaz has worked very well, I don't think it's truly capable of getting the job of totally clearing done on it's own. Also, by pack four, the soreness in my boobs had gone away.
September 3, 2018
Poison
Was on a pill called Qlaira for a long time. Came off it due to irregular bleeding, and as ive suffered with my skin in the past, my doctor recommended lucette (cheap yasmin) . All i can say is my skin hasnt been this bad since i was a teen, and these period pains and heavy bleeding are unreal. Its poison. Im actually fuming. In light of my headache (literally) ive decided that i will not be using an oral contraceptive again. Ive tried everything and this has taught me a valuable lesson, to let nature do its thing. Condoms will have to do....i am.not going to damage my body or my skin any more. I really hope this stops someone going through what i have! Not worth it girls!
August 15, 2018
Do not take Yasmin
I was on dianette for a year before changing to Yasmin in Feb. I took Yasmin roughly 5-6 months and it's ruined me. Mood swings, headaches, head fuzziness, heart palpitations. I ended up in hospital because of it - my heart rate was extremely elevated. However every taste came out fine and I've never had any health problems prior. I stopped mid pack a month ago because it was making me feel so awfully depressed. It did make my skin better (not perfect) but it is NOT worth feeling like this. I now have suffered panic attacks and anxiety when I have never dealt with that before. I still feel spaced out and tired all of the time. I just don't feel right and it's affecting my everyday loft. If I can stop even one girl taking Yasmin then that is enough. it's not worth the risk of reacting like myself and many others have (do your research). I wish I had known all this before taking it. Take other routes to clear your skin!
August 11, 2018
Cured my acne!
I have had acne since I was a teenager, but it had never been as bad as it was when I turned 23. My hormones decided to suddenly wack out and nothing I did helped alleviate it. I've tried going on Doxycyclin, Tretinoin, Spironolactone, topical Clindamycin, and many different kinds of washes and prescription creams. I even tried going the natural route and taking herbs such as vitex, saw palmetto, DIM, milk thistle, and completely changing my diet. NOTHING WORKED. I was afraid to try Yasmin because of the horrendous possible side effects but I was at my wits end and very desperate. The problem was whenever my hormones shifted slightly throughout my cycle, my skin would respond by breaking out all along my cheeks, forehead, and jaw. Yasmin keeps your hormones balanced at all times, allowing no fluctuations. Within two weeks it started completely clearing my acne! I've been on it for four months now and since then I've had three tiny pimples tops and I'm lucky enough to not have experienced any side effects at all. I highly recommend at least trying Yasmin, it could seriously work for you and save you a lot of pain. It did for me!

Finding a Doctor

The right dermatologist can make a big difference to your patient experience and the success of your acne treatment plan. Here are the steps to find a dermatologist who is a good fit:

1. Use the search feature on the American Academy of Dermatology website to look for board-certified dermatologists in your area, and filter the search results for doctors with a special interest in treating acne.
  2. Read online patient reviews of any dermatologists you are considering and ask people you know whether they have any experience with these dermatologists.
  3. Do your research and go to your first appointment with questions prepared.
  4. Listen to what your gut feeling tells you once you see a dermatologist in person. If you are not completely comfortable, try a different dermatologist.

Finding a Doctor

Only a select few plastic surgeons specialize in acne scar revision surgery. Be certain to find a provider who specializes in acne scar repair and who is passionate and experienced in this area.

Be sure to:

• Look at before and after photos, the more the better, especially patients with similar scarring to your own.
  • Be realistic about results. Look for improvement, not a cure.

Questions to ask a potential scar revision specialist:

• Are you board certified? Be certain that they are board certified.
  • How long have you been performing these procedures? Normally, the more experience the better, however, some younger surgeons may be more on top of the latest procedures.
  • Can I speak to some of your other patients? Ask for references for several patients who had similar scarring and speak to them about the process and their satisfaction with results.

Red flags:

• Their story changes: As you discuss different treatment options, if they tend to change their mind easily, or agree with whatever you say, consider this a red flag. A confident, experienced surgeon will possess strong, unwavering opinions.
  • Your gut tells you "no": Trust your gut. If you just don't feel that the doctor is the right fit, trust that and move on. On the other hand, if you feel they are the perfect specialist for you, trust that feeling.