The total cost of dermabrasion may vary from less than $1000 up to $4,000. Dermabrasion is considered to be a cosmetic procedure, so your medical insurance is unlikely to cover the cost.
The total cost of dermabrasion depends on multiple factors, such as:
- Geographic location of medical facility: The same procedure is more expensive in some cities and countries than in others. The cost of dermabrasion in any given location will depend on the cost of living and on the amount of local demand for the procedure.
- Physician’s experience: Doctors who have more experience with dermabrasion are likely to charge a higher price.
- Size of skin area to be treated: The larger the area of skin that will be treated for scars, the higher the price is likely to be.
- Type of anesthesia: Dermabrasion under local anesthesia or light sedation will be cheaper than under general anesthesia.
- Severity of acne scars: The more severe and deeper the scars, the longer the procedure will take, and the more follow-up visits will be necessary, all of which will increase the cost.
- Number of treatments: A single dermabrasion session is often sufficient for acne scars. However, if your scars require multiple treatments, this will drive up the costs.
Dermabrasion performed in an inexpensive city, on a small area of skin, under local anesthesia or light sedation, and requiring minimal follow-up may cost under $1,000. In a more expensive location and with a larger treatment area, general anesthesia, and extensive follow-up, the total cost may be as high as $4,000.
Ask multiple doctors for their price estimates before scheduling a treatment.