Reviews
67%
Based on All Available Studies
Strength of Evidence
Topical Retinoid / Topical Antibacterial
Side Effects
Low-Medium
Acne.org’s Real World Take
A way of using benzoyl peroxide in combination with the topical retinoid, adapalene, that studies show works a bit better than benzoyl peroxide alone. Comes with side effects for the first weeks and can bleach fabric. Note: When used correctly, benzoyl peroxide on its own can completely clear the skin.
How to Get It
Have a dermatologist? Make an appointment to get this medication. Don't have a dermatologist? See The American Academy of Dermatology Physician Database to find one.
Read All About Adapalene / Benzoyl Peroxide (Epiduo®)
Compare To Other Treatments
14.9%

Used Adapalene / Benzoyl Peroxide (Epiduo®)? Rate It:

Choose from 1 to 5 stars
October 24, 2009

Pros:

cleared up skin entirely in about 2 weeks.

Cons:

dry skin at first, went away later

if paired with a moisturizer right before application of epiduo, then results are great and dry skin is less severe

2 user(s) found this helpful

October 11, 2009

Pros:

cleared up my skin perfectly after about a week

Cons:

my face was horribly dry the first 2 weeks and it stopped working after a few months.

I guess its a good thing to try, but it became ineffective. As a 'sample' I got a normal sized tube free from my Dermatologist, so I'm not sure how much it costs.

13 user(s) found this helpful

September 29, 2009

Pros:

Worked very well in beginning. My skin never felt so good.

Cons:

Dry, irritated skin. After 1-2 months it seemed to lose its function and I'm worse than ever.

Worst breakout of my life at the moment. The acnes are large, painful and many. I have no reason why this suddenly happened. Have used Epiduo for 3-4 months. Worked very well in the beginning, but no lasting effect. Is it possible to become immune? Talked with my doctor today and he suggested combining Epiduo (at night) with Dalacin (in the morning). Hope that works!

7 user(s) found this helpful

September 29, 2009

Pros:

>cleared cyst likpe pimples after a few weeks.
>didint notice if it got worse in the beginning because my face was already so bad.
>shows results

Cons:

at first i was a little dry.

After having my son my scne got so bad, and its really hard for women to get the accutane route nowadays. so this it what the doctor prescribed with backtrum and it has worked very well so far. cleared up just about all of my cyst like pimples. and has over all helped my face. i have only been using this for a lil over a month. but i definetly reccommend! at least give it a try
September 18, 2009

Pros:

Cleared my skin within a few weeks.

Cons:

Very drying for the first week or so, until you get used to it
Gets much worse before it gets better

Overall I am very pleased with this product. When I started Epiduo I only used it once a day and it cleared my skin pretty effectively, but not completely. The only problem I had was being very dry for the first week. My dermatologist recommended using it twice a day to increase it's effectiveness. The first week, it worked perfectly. The second week, I broke out HORRIBLY. I thought I was allergic to it, because I had horrible blister-looking cysts all over my chin. My entire chin was so swollen, I could barely eat. However, I knew that these types of medicines get out all the "impurities" before they work, so I continued using it on my acne. Within 4 or 5 days, the bad breakout had basically disappeared. Ever since then, I've had almost flawless skin. I still have one or 2 pimples every month or so, but that's basically it. I've had moderate to severe acne since puberty, so this is the first medicine that has worked this well. I definitely recommend this product!

15 user(s) found this helpful

September 13, 2009

Pros:

Dosnt dry out skin. Non-irritating. Easy to use.

Cons:

Takes awhile to work. It does get worse before it gets better.

Using Epiduo at night with Duac in the morning. This combo took 3 full months to work. I almost gave up due to IB. The first 3 weeks I actually totally cleared up, but weeks 3-12 had constant breakouts. Now clear with a occasional spot. I had clear skin from age 16-21 but was on yasmine and then decided to get off and give my body a rest and after 4 months I started breaking out. This combo does work for hormonal acne.

3 user(s) found this helpful

August 29, 2009

Pros:

works quickly and effectively

Cons:

dries out skin a bit but a good moisturizer helps with that

I would recommend this product to anyone with an acne problem. Everyone complains that it dries out your skin and burns but i haven't experienced any of that, all you have to do is apply a good moisturizer after you apply the Epiduo. I'm not sure why no one else does this. Now I think i saw results so quickly because i started using this immediately after i had been using AcneFree for 2 months so there wasn't a lot of bacteria under my skin that needed to come out. So, it may take longer for other people but it still works very, very well. I HIGHLY recommend giving this a try. Just make sure you use it with a gentle cleanser and a moisturizer.

5 user(s) found this helpful

August 27, 2009

Pros:

+stopped acne from getting bigger the next morning
+didn't experience any dryness
+nice fragrance

Cons:

+I've heard that it is pretty expensive
+doesn't prevent period breakouts

I got my first tube of Epiduo for free from my dermatoligist, but I've heard that it's pretty expensive. It made my skin worse at first, but it works pretty well. I have really oily skin so it didn't dry it out. I use it once during the nighttime, but I use Duac in the morning on the big spots.
August 19, 2009

Pros:

I just started using it and it cleared up a huge cyst I had on my chin real fast. I think it 's because it has the benzol peroxide in it. Using a retinol alone only helped me with future breakouts.

Cons:

Stings a little when you first start using it but after a while it goes away. I haven't used a retinol in a while.

I think this med is great because of the combination of the retinol and the benzol peroxide. It's great that the company has a coupon so that you only pay $20 in case you don't have insurance.

6 user(s) found this helpful

August 17, 2009

Pros:

-Gets rid of acne pimples (quickly)
-Decreases inflammation (quickly)
-Smoothes ski (quickly)

Cons:

none, really

works! worth a try for you!

5 user(s) found this helpful

Finding a Doctor

The right dermatologist can make a big difference to your patient experience and the success of your acne treatment plan. Here are the steps to find a dermatologist who is a good fit:

1. Use the search feature on the American Academy of Dermatology website to look for board-certified dermatologists in your area, and filter the search results for doctors with a special interest in treating acne.
  2. Read online patient reviews of any dermatologists you are considering and ask people you know whether they have any experience with these dermatologists.
  3. Do your research and go to your first appointment with questions prepared.
  4. Listen to what your gut feeling tells you once you see a dermatologist in person. If you are not completely comfortable, try a different dermatologist.

Finding a Doctor

Only a select few plastic surgeons specialize in acne scar revision surgery. Be certain to find a provider who specializes in acne scar repair and who is passionate and experienced in this area.

Be sure to:

• Look at before and after photos, the more the better, especially patients with similar scarring to your own.
  • Be realistic about results. Look for improvement, not a cure.

Questions to ask a potential scar revision specialist:

• Are you board certified? Be certain that they are board certified.
  • How long have you been performing these procedures? Normally, the more experience the better, however, some younger surgeons may be more on top of the latest procedures.
  • Can I speak to some of your other patients? Ask for references for several patients who had similar scarring and speak to them about the process and their satisfaction with results.

Red flags:

• Their story changes: As you discuss different treatment options, if they tend to change their mind easily, or agree with whatever you say, consider this a red flag. A confident, experienced surgeon will possess strong, unwavering opinions.
  • Your gut tells you "no": Trust your gut. If you just don't feel that the doctor is the right fit, trust that and move on. On the other hand, if you feel they are the perfect specialist for you, trust that feeling.