What Is It?
Ablative lasers shine an intense beam of light at the skin. The light completely removes (ablates) the entire epidermis. It also stimulates the underlying dermis to produce more collagen and elastin over time.
Good or Excellent Response
Strength of Evidence
78% of patients achieved a good (>50%) or excellent (>75%) improvement in scarring after 1 - 2 sessions
Strength of Evidence
96% of patients achieved at least a moderate (>25%) improvement in scarring after 1 - 2 sessions
- You, H.-J., Kim, D.-W., Yoon, E.-S. & Park, S.-H. Comparison of four different lasers for acne scars: resurfacing and fractional lasers. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 69, e87-95 (2016).
- Lee, S. J., Kang, J. M., Chung, W. S., Kim, Y. K. & Kim, H. S. Ablative non-fractional lasers for atrophic facial acne scars: a new modality of erbium:YAG laser resurfacing in Asians. Lasers Med Sci 29, 615–619 (2014).
- Ahmed, R., Mohammed, G., Ismail, N. & Elakhras, A. Randomized clinical trial of CO₂ laser pinpoint irradiation technique versus chemical reconstruction of skin scars (CROSS) in treating ice pick acne scars. J Cosmet Laser Ther 16, 8–13 (2014).
- Mohammed, G. Randomized clinical trial of CO2 laser pinpoint irradiation technique with/without needling for ice pick acne scars. J Cosmet Laser Ther 15, 177–182 (2013).
- Ghaly, N. Comparative study of 1540-nm non-ablative fractional erbium laser versus 2940-nm ablative erbium: YAG laser in resurfacing of post-acne scarring. Tanta Medical Sciences Journal 3, 29–39 (2012).
- Engİn, B. et al. Evaluation of effectiveness of erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser on atrophic facial acne scars with 22-MHz digital ultrasonography in a Turkish population. The Journal of Dermatology 39, 982–988 (2012).
- Kutlubay, Z. & Gokdemir, G. Treatment of atrophic facial acne scars with the Er:YAG laser: a Turkish experience. J Cosmet Laser Ther 12, 65–72 (2010).
- Wanitphakdeedecha, R., Manuskiatti, W., Siriphukpong, S. & Chen, T. M. Treatment of punched-out atrophic and rolling acne scars in skin phototypes III, IV, and V with variable square pulse erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser resurfacing. Dermatol Surg 35, 1376–1383 (2009).
- Tay, Y.-K. & Kwok, C. Minimally ablative erbium:YAG laser resurfacing of facial atrophic acne scars in Asian skin: a pilot study. Dermatol Surg 34, 681–685 (2008).
- Koo, S. H., Yoon, E. S., Ahn, D. S. & Park, S. H. Laser punch-out for acne scars. Aesthetic Plast Surg 25, 46–51 (2001).
- Jeong, J. T. & Kye, Y. C. Resurfacing of pitted facial acne scars with a long-pulsed Er:YAG laser. Dermatol Surg 27, 107–110 (2001).
- Kwon, S. D. & Kye, Y. C. Treatment of scars with a pulsed Er:YAG laser. J Cutan Laser Ther 2, 27–31 (2000).
- Walia, S. & Alster, T. S. Prolonged clinical and histologic effects from CO2 laser resurfacing of atrophic acne scars. Dermatol Surg 25, 926–930 (1999).
- Weinstein, C. Computerized scanning erbium:YAG laser for skin resurfacing. Dermatol Surg 24, 83–89 (1998).
- Shim, E. et al. Short-pulse carbon dioxide laser resurfacing in the treatment of rhytides and scars. a clinical and histopathological study. Dermatol Surg 24, 113–117 (1998).
- Ruiz-Esparza, J., Barba Gomez, J. M., Gomez de la Torre, O. L., Huerta Franco, B. & Parga Vazquez, E. G. UltraPulse laser skin resurfacing in Hispanic patients. a prospective study of 36 individuals. Dermatol Surg 24, 59–62 (1998).
- Bernstein, L. J., Kauvar, A. N., Grossman, M. C. & Geronemus, R. G. Scar resurfacing with high-energy, short-pulsed and flashscanning carbon dioxide lasers. Dermatol Surg 24, 101–107 (1998).
- Kye, Y. C. Resurfacing of pitted facial scars with a pulsed Er:YAG laser. Dermatol Surg 23, 880–883 (1997).
- Drnovsek-Olup, B. & Vedlin, B. Use of Er:YAG laser for benign skin disorders. Lasers Surg Med 21, 13–19 (1997).
- Apfelberg, D. B. Ultrapulse carbon dioxide laser with CPG scanner for full-face resurfacing for rhytids, photoaging, and acne scars. Plast Reconstr Surg 99, 1817–1825 (1997).
- Apfelberg, D. B. A critical appraisal of high-energy pulsed carbon dioxide laser facial resurfacing for acne scars. Ann Plast Surg 38, 95–100 (1997).
- Alster, T. S. & West, T. B. Resurfacing of atrophic facial acne scars with a high-energy, pulsed carbon dioxide laser. Dermatol Surg 22, 151–154; discussion 154-155 (1996).
- Ho, C., Nguyen, Q., Lowe, N. J., Griffin, M. E. & Lask, G. Laser resurfacing in pigmented skin. Dermatol Surg 21, 1035–1037 (1995).
High side effects and adverse reactions