Purpose : Gentle Cleansing Bar

Brand:
Reviews
4.3
201 Reviews

Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, BHT, Trisodium HEDTA, D&C Yellow 10 (CI 74005), D&C Orange 4.

63.7%
19.9%
7.5%

Used Purpose : Gentle Cleansing Bar? Rate It:

Choose from 1 to 5 stars
April 14, 2017
1st timer
I just buy this product today. Hope it work for my oily face. I used different kinds of cleansing bar but its does not work for me. Hope this is the ONE 😁. Wait for my next post after I use it for 3 consecutive weeks okay...

4 user(s) found this helpful

May 5, 2017
It does not work for me 😔
August 16, 2011

Pros:

Inexpensive
Available in drugstore
Working so far!

Cons:

None yet - - crossing fingers!

I've battled acne for about 7 years, and in that time have gone through pretty much every treatment imaginable including over-the-counter products, prescription ointments, washes, light treatments, Clarisonic brush (don't waste your money!), etc. I've taken different oral antibiotics and eventually did a round of Accutane - which cleared my skin for about 2 yrs. When I started breaking out again, my dermatologist gave me a prescription for Spironolactone which I never took because the side-effects just sound scary and I'm tired of popping pills into my mouth and wondering what they're doing to my body in the long run. I feel like I've hit the end of the road with dermatologists .. so I tried tackling it on my own by bombarding the blemishes with benzoyl peroxide. After reading these boards .. I bought Clean & Clear's Continuous Control cleanser and their PersaGel 10 spot treatment and used it for the past two months. I think the cleanser was too harsh/drying for me because the acne didn't improve at all...if anything, it got worse. So, after doing more research .. I decided to try the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar (along with the PersaGel for active spots). It's only been about 5 days, so I was reluctant to even post anything out of fear of jinxing myself .. but so far, my skin is already improving somewhat. Maybe just this simple cleansing bar (in conjunction with a hard hitting spot treatment) is what I've needed all along .. I don't know. If that's true, it makes me want to scream over the amount of money we've spent on prescriptions and stuff. Hoping and praying for continued clearing.

5 user(s) found this helpful

January 1, 2010

Pros:

Works well, cheap, easy to find, pleasant smell, not over-drying if you have oily skin

Cons:

Drying on my cheeks (I have combo skin)

It's a pretty good product. I use it with St. Ives 3 times a week. It sometimes flakes my skin. Overall a good product though...

10 user(s) found this helpful

July 20, 2009

Pros:

The acne on my forehead and chin disappeared! I also suffered from a lot of blackheads. Purpose seemed to take care of this problem. Also I'm 27 and most other acne treatments for teens were too harsh and made my skin go NUTS! So this was good.

Cons:

My cheeks are still affected by acne. It's better than before but not as clear as I hoped it would be. I'm not sure if it's the soap or the moisturizer I have to use after washing. The soap is going to dry you out.

Give it a try. The Bar may work for you. At the very least it will remove excessive oil without the harsh chemical of acids and peroxide. I've been using it for about a month. I'll post another review after the bar is gone. Maybe things will have cleared up completely by then!

33 user(s) found this helpful

June 12, 2009

Pros:

Controls Oil. Rinses clean. Nice lather. Large bar (long-lasting)

Cons:

Price but you get a large bar.

Been using for 4-5 years. Started for facial acne but now use as a total body bar of soap. Like the fresh smell and clean feel.

15 user(s) found this helpful

April 17, 2009

Pros:

Clean feel.
Effective for such a big bar of cleansing soap.
Good for sensitive skin.

Cons:

Slightly dries the skin when coupled with BP.

After months of continuous treatment using the soap, I've got comments from students in my school and they said my face is clearer, though there are still growing acne but small pigments. Use twice a day, try warm water!

20 user(s) found this helpful

March 17, 2009

Pros:

smells isn't over bearing, good price, will last a long time

Doesn't over-dry my skin and leaves it feeling really smooth and looking fresh!

23 user(s) found this helpful

January 28, 2009

Pros:

it wrks ever since i started using it my acne has greatly decreased. ith has no sticky feeling toward the skin afterwards

Cons:

price? but hey it works

was recomended by my dermitologist and i do truely believe it works. good product for summer time and winter with its moistutizer as well.

2 user(s) found this helpful

July 6, 2008

Pros:

Clean feeling, fragrance doesn't bother me. Lasts a while.

Cons:

Dries out skin, esp with use of Dan's BP! (Or any BP for that matter)

Too dry for my skin. I'll be trying something else.

5 user(s) found this helpful

November 12, 2007

Pros:

Price
Works very well

Cons:

A little drying

I ended up buying this at target after reading all the reviews. I bought this, a soap travel case, and a tube of BP from neutrogena. This face wash works very well. It does strip your skin of any excess oil, and does dry out your skin, but its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. My skin type is NOT oily either. I would say I have pretty normal skin. After washing, it leaves your face feeling very clean, no residue. Works very well for the price. After using this product I do not think I will go back to any other cleanser thats not a bar. I ended up taking the advice of one of the other reviewers here. The bar was too big for my travel soap box, but I cut the bar in half, and put half in a zip lock bag to save for later.