Purpose : Gentle Cleansing Bar

Brand:
Reviews
4.3
201 Reviews

Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, BHT, Trisodium HEDTA, D&C Yellow 10 (CI 74005), D&C Orange 4.

63.7%
19.9%
7.5%

Used Purpose : Gentle Cleansing Bar? Rate It:

Choose from 1 to 5 stars
May 11, 2011

Pros:

effective cleaning
strips oil off well
large size
cheap

Cons:

extremely drying
did I mention drying?

I ran out of dan's cleanser, so I thought I would give this product a try. Withing 3 days of use my skin was flaking off in large chunks, and even moisturizer would not hide the dryness. Under my jawbone on the neck was the worst, just raw epidermis lol. I don't know why this happened but the purpose bar did not play well with me, I am using Dr. Bronners soap now and it works well
This Was Helpful

18 user(s) found this helpful

July 5, 2008

Pros:

*It's yellow

Cons:

* Couldn't buy it in the UK so had to pay a fair bit of dosh for it to be shipped over here from the states.
* Brought my face up in redness and little spots
* Hard to maintain, have to buy a plastic soap carrier

I think I must have really sensitive skin, I'm not one that normally uses treatment.. I just wash my face with a bit of water under the shower normally. But my spots were getting bad, and I was getting all these little crispy bits of dead skin around my nose and cheeks. So I tried this little bar out, but after the first use, I don't think I'll use it again. I only lathered it a little bit before putting a bit around my nose area. It was on for about 10 seconds before I rinsed with cool shower water. When I got out the shower, my face was covered in residue, which took me ages to rinse off over the sink. After about 10 minutes, my face had more spots than I had before. My cheeks, nose and mouth area were most affected with unwanted redness. It might work for you, but I didn't enjoy my experience. This could be because I have naturally dry skin though, odd for a 17 year old white guy but hey. Might work for oily/combo skin?
May 29, 2008

Pros:

Cheap

Cons:

It works so well the first few times I used it. My face felt extremely clean. Until maybe the 3rd day when it began to feel "squeakly" clean. That's when it started to get bad. My face went extremely dry, and even after moisturizer, it itched.

I wanted to try a "bar" product because I thought it'd be different. But I'm not too sure now. I gave this product more than a week, but it's obviously not working for me, since my face is too dry, itchy, and breaking out pretty bad. If this works for you, great. The only sure thing I think I can say is that when your face feels "squeakly" clean, that's actually NOT good. It's a sign that the bar is overdrying your face.