Notifications
Clear all

Topiramate for Scars

MemberMember
(@zupelman)

Posted : 01/05/2006 10:29 am

I found this link that says that a drug can eliminate even dissapear acne scars!

Here is the link http://dermatology.cdlib.org/113/letters/t...ate/rakesh.html

Abstract

Topiramate may be a safe and effective treatment for scars. Shapira et al. reported an open label study on ten adult subjects with discolored or raised scars at least 2 years old who were given topiramate in an oral dosage of 15 mg per day for 1 month. The dosage was then increased to 30 mg per day if there was minimal or no improvement [1]. Based on that study, BDC Research Centre treated 91 patients with various scarring conditions including post acne, varicella, dermatitis scars, melasma, hypertrophic scars, and keloids. Excellent to good results were observed in post-acne and post-varicella scars.

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 01/05/2006 10:51 am

I am not going to take that drug before it is 100 % sure that it eliminates scars. And since it says "may be a safe..." it is not 100 % sure. Sorry to disappoint, but this seems like another company trying to earn money.

MemberMember
(@baravykas)

Posted : 01/05/2006 10:54 am

This is bullshit man! Don't fall for such crap. There are many pages which advertise drugs that they say 'eliminates' scars. Just look at those pictures of the girl. The lighting angle is absolutely diferent + tones of makeup added and scars are still visible. So as I said don't fall for that crap.

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 01/05/2006 11:04 am

Try Tretinoin-ionophoresis. Opposing to this drug it has been DOCUMENTED to work.

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 01/05/2006 11:12 am

First of all this drug has been mentioned already a while back on this forum. Secondly it was originally manufactured and approved by the FDA as a prescription drug for epileptic seizures. This drug isn't from some BS con artist website that claims a scar cure all. Studies were done and the drug showed marked improvement in peoples scars so believe what you will.

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 01/05/2006 11:29 am

First of all this drug has been mentioned already a while back on this forum. Secondly it was originally manufactured and approved by the FDA as a prescription drug for epileptic seizures. This drug isn't from some BS con artist website that claims a scar cure all. Studies were done and the drug showed marked improvement in peoples scars so believe what you will.

So you're indicating that it SHOULD work?

Why would it work? Was does the drug actually do?

MemberMember
(@baravykas)

Posted : 01/05/2006 11:32 am

Ok ok. I get the point But still, I always do conlclusions about the drug when looking at before/after pics. If the lighting angle, intensity isnt changed and no makeup is added then its ok. I dont know is it just me or that girl has no makeup in the first pic and tons of makeup in the second one. I just dont understand why a serious organisation would do such a thing.

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 01/05/2006 12:04 pm

So you're indicating that it SHOULD work?

Why would it work? Was does the drug actually do?

Think about it. Alot of prescription drugs have side effects. Maybe this drug's side effect is it causes the immune system to repair damage like it should. Not all side effects have to be bad but most typically are. Most drug companies and scientists don't truly understand what alot of drugs do in the body, just that they cause certain reactions to occur. These reactions are also different from person to person which is why you get allergic reactions in some people with some drugs. But the goal of any drug is to induce a targeted 'good' reaction in a high percentage of the population with little to no side effects. The higher the percentage the 'safer' the drug.

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 01/05/2006 1:38 pm

Then it would be VERY interesting for the ones, who have large disfiguring scars! Definitely!

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 01/05/2006 1:39 pm

Look at the acne scar improvement on the first two pictures. http://dermatology.cdlib.org/95/original/scars/shapira.html

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 01/05/2006 1:44 pm

A drug doing that from the inside

what are the possible side-effects?

Why has it not been more discussed/used?

MemberMember
(@sick_skin)

Posted : 01/05/2006 1:46 pm

it says all the patients had discoloured or raised scars. Most people who have acne scars have indented scars. Maybe it would help people with red scars but i wouldn`t take an anti seizure medicine for something taht will heal on is own anyway

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 01/05/2006 1:54 pm

it says all the patients had discoloured or raised scars. Most people who have acne scars have indented scars. Maybe it would help people with red scars but i wouldn`t take an anti seizure medicine for something taht will heal on is own anyway

Look at my link above it shows acne scars on a 41 year old woman. In the original study all the scars were 2 years or older so they don't just start healing again after 2 years or more by themselves. If you look at the link that was posted by zupelman Rakesh did a separate experiment similar to Shapira and found that acne scarring had good to excellent results, better than surgical or keloidal scars.

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 01/05/2006 2:02 pm

No the important effect of this drug is not that the wound healing is fastened, but that the scar itself is beginning to heal....

If I had big disfiguring scars - I had certainly taken this drug if there are not any major side-effects.

Maybe it would be possible to find out exactly what in this drug causes it to have a positive effect on scars. If we could find that - we could take only that part of the drug and have a very much better effect.

100 times better! Unless it's all the drug's ingredients that together make the effect. BUT I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT!

The medicine "regulates the activity of nerves". Anybody see why that would be good for scars?

Damn those side-effects look dangerous!

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 01/05/2006 2:38 pm

Where can one buy "Topical Topiramate"? Does it exist?

What exactly does Topiramate contain?

MemberMember
(@nec2234)

Posted : 01/05/2006 3:58 pm

Eight out of the ten patients enrolled in the study reported a total of 19 adverse events. Most were mild and transient. The most common side effects were language problems (n = 3), sleep disturbances (n = 3), anorexia (n = 2), and dizziness (n = 2) followed by one of each of the following: anhedonia, confusion, congestion, headache, muscle pain, nervousness, numbness, paresthesia, and pruritus. No side effects resulted in discontinuation of a subject. Only one subject (language problems) lowered the topiramate dose (from 30 mg/day to 15 mg/day).

Side effects exerted from the article. While the language problems indicates a neurological side effect--certaintly not dismissable--others aren't outrageous. Although I find it odd anorexia is included. This isn't exactly an effect I'd blame entirely on the medicine.

These test need to be conducted on more people specifically suffereing from Acne scars. Even if minimal results are shown, I wouldn't mind trying topiramate. Three months for a pill taken once a day is little inconvenience.

Browsing Google, I'm surprised not to see any follow up studies done. The original experiment was conducted over two years ago. You would have thought with a drug so promosing, someone would have bothered to write about it since summer of 03'.

ZXC--Goggle (google.com) topiramte. It's expensive. I hope you wouldn't consider buying it without atleast consulting a doctor.

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 01/05/2006 4:02 pm

Where can one buy "Topical Topiramate"? Does it exist?

What exactly does Topiramate contain?

Topiramate only comes in oral form and you need a prescription here in the US anyways.

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 01/05/2006 6:07 pm

NEC,

I dont think you read both links. There were two studies done, one by Shapira and one by Rakesh. Shapira's was more traumatic and surgical type scars but Rakesh's did include acne scars and the result were good to excellent.

I have a prescription for Topamax which is the brand name for topiramate.

Colin

MemberMember
(@ty189)

Posted : 01/05/2006 6:09 pm

Eight out of the ten patients enrolled in the study reported a total of 19 adverse events. Most were mild and transient. The most common side effects were language problems (n = 3), sleep disturbances (n = 3), anorexia (n = 2), and dizziness (n = 2) followed by one of each of the following: anhedonia, confusion, congestion, headache, muscle pain, nervousness, numbness, paresthesia, and pruritus. No side effects resulted in discontinuation of a subject. Only one subject (language problems) lowered the topiramate dose (from 30 mg/day to 15 mg/day).

Side effects exerted from the article. While the language problems indicates a neurological side effect--certaintly not dismissable--others aren't outrageous. Although I find it odd anorexia is included. This isn't exactly an effect I'd blame entirely on the medicine.

These test need to be conducted on more people specifically suffereing from Acne scars. Even if minimal results are shown, I wouldn't mind trying topiramate. Three months for a pill taken once a day is little inconvenience.

Browsing Google, I'm surprised not to see any follow up studies done. The original experiment was conducted over two years ago. You would have thought with a drug so promosing, someone would have bothered to write about it since summer of 03'.

ZXC--Goggle (google.com) topiramte. It's expensive. I hope you wouldn't consider buying it without atleast consulting a doctor.

NEC,

I dont think you read both links. There were two studies done, one by Shapira and one by Rakesh. Shapira's was more traumatic and surgical type scars but Rakesh's did include acne scars and the result were good to excellent.

I have a prescription for Topamax which is the brand name for topiramate.

Colin

Colin- i would be really interested to know your results with this.

MemberMember
(@sassy_svengali)

Posted : 01/05/2006 8:23 pm

This is so weird! I was going to post how my sleeping tablets may be making my scars look better. It is lunesta, a new drug for sleeping. I wonder if it could be possible...

Anyone else take it?

MemberMember
(@nec2234)

Posted : 01/05/2006 9:00 pm

IDBNVS2,

You must have a close, friendly relationship to medical personnel. I doubt I could walk into the office of my family physician, suggest I've been suffering migraines, then request the doctor to prescribe Topamax. Since I'm 20 years old, I don't know if many physicians would willingly allow access to a drug intended for controlling seizures.

Although, honestly--I'm glad if anyone is taking this medication, it's you. I've read your posts since joining and believe you're inherently skeptical of various scar treatments. If you develop noticeable results, I'll trust your view. Good luck during the process.

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 01/05/2006 9:47 pm

Actually NEC, if you go to www.topamax.com migraines is the thing that is mainly mentioned. I believe the drug is also for bipolar disorder.

I find it very positive for us that Rakesh's study found that indented scars like chicken pox (varicella) and acne scars responded best. It's also a good sign that they didn't report excellent results for all scar types since that would make it seem like they were maybe over zealous about reporting good results regardless of what was really happening. His study was done in 2004 so maybe newer studies are now going on but we won't hear about them until they get published.

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 01/05/2006 11:02 pm

This link has better pictures from the report. Click on the link below then click on item #4 to see the better pictures.

Click on Item #4 Link After You Click Here

MemberMember
(@novalie)

Posted : 01/05/2006 11:46 pm

IDBNVS2, did you tell your doctor that you were suffering from migraines? That is pretty powerful medication. Or did you tell the doc that you wanted to treat acne scars with it? I'm just surprised that you were able to get a perscription so quickly and readily. Usually, even if you WERE suffering from migraines, a doctor would start you out on less intense medications, and you would work your way up to something like Topamax.

Keep us updated, ok? :-)

MemberMember
(@keithr23)

Posted : 01/05/2006 11:58 pm

Be careful with the bi-polar and seizure meds though. THey can cause hair loss and severe depression or manic fits in some people. I also know they can cause diabetes. I know this about most bi-polar meds because I researched them thinking i may have bi-polar at one time. THis is really a terrible story.

I went to the doctor and said that I was feeling exhausted which was from working a lot and studying late. She gave me Zoloft and said that it would make me feel better. I didnt think I was suffering from depression at all but took one of the starter pills a few nights later. I had a horrible reaction and had manic fits of ups and downs for the next week and a half. The next day I went to the emergency room and got a sedative. I then went back to the doc who gave me a mood stabilizer and said that she thought I was bi-polar and that the zoloft had triggered a manic fit. THe mood stabilzer made me feel literally crazy and I quit taking that after two pills. I then went to a shrink and told him what had happened. By the time of the appointment I was feeling more myself. He said I could not take any antidepressant because I would have the same reaction to them all and that the zeprexa which was the mood stabilizer should NEVER have been prescribed by the doc. He also said I was perfectly ok mentally if any of u were wondering lol.

Seriously be careful with that stuff that was the worst week and a half of my entire life.