Notifications
Clear all

Topiramate for Scars

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 03/14/2010 6:38 pm

This is so weird! I was going to post how my sleeping tablets may be making my scars look better. It is lunesta, a new drug for sleeping. I wonder if it could be possible...

Anyone else take it?

Eight out of the ten patients enrolled in the study reported a total of 19 adverse events. Most were mild and transient. The most common side effects were language problems (n = 3), sleep disturbances (n = 3), anorexia (n = 2), and dizziness (n = 2) followed by one of each of the following: anhedonia, confusion, congestion, headache, muscle pain, nervousness, numbness, paresthesia, and pruritus. No side effects resulted in discontinuation of a subject. Only one subject (language problems) lowered the topiramate dose (from 30 mg/day to 15 mg/day).

Side effects exerted from the article. While the language problems indicates a neurological side effect--certaintly not dismissable--others aren't outrageous. Although I find it odd anorexia is included. This isn't exactly an effect I'd blame entirely on the medicine.

These test need to be conducted on more people specifically suffereing from Acne scars. Even if minimal results are shown, I wouldn't mind trying topiramate. Three months for a pill taken once a day is little inconvenience.

Browsing Google, I'm surprised not to see any follow up studies done. The original experiment was conducted over two years ago. You would have thought with a drug so promosing, someone would have bothered to write about it since summer of 03'.

ZXC--Goggle (google.com) topiramte. It's expensive. I hope you wouldn't consider buying it without atleast consulting a doctor.

NEC,

I dont think you read both links. There were two studies done, one by Shapira and one by Rakesh. Shapira's was more traumatic and surgical type scars but Rakesh's did include acne scars and the result were good to excellent.

I have a prescription for Topamax which is the brand name for topiramate.

Colin

Great! Let us know how it goes.

oh all this sounds really exciting. id love to hear how you all go trying these :)

I do not believe that they respond those to you that thought in this topic the majority no longer enters.

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 03/14/2010 6:47 pm

I believe that already I said to everything what tapeworm that to say on topamax.

MemberMember
(@tj101)

Posted : 03/16/2010 12:17 am

I think you'll be disappointed. I looked into doing this and through research found that it doesn't work for scarring and it causes acne. Someone was on it and it gave them bad acne so they had to stop it and go on spiro or BCP's. I dont remember who, why they were on it etc., but they posted in the Hormone section.

I took it for probably 6 months. I only got one pimple during this time. I did not take anything else during that time.

Most of the side effects only happen with higher doses. The amount given in the studies was relatively low.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 03/16/2010 3:18 pm

I know others took it and had no effect on scars. I don't remember who they were. If you read the whole thread and then look at the people who took it and their other posts you will see no one got results.

MemberMember
(@panos)

Posted : 04/07/2013 6:09 am

Well what do we have from this thread:

A guy claiming topiramate worked for his scars.

A guy claiming lunesta seemed to improved his scars.

The common ingredient of these substances is : titanium dioxide.

There is a study( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22962531 )that shows oral titanium dioxide contributes to the formation of singlet oxygen that kills bacteria.

I think this didnt work for many people because similar things could only work in the absense of any other inflammation.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 04/07/2013 9:05 am

Well what do we have from this thread:

A guy claiming topiramate worked for his scars.

A guy claiming lunesta seemed to improved his scars.

The common ingredient of these substances is : titanium dioxide.

There is a study( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22962531 )that shows oral titanium dioxide contributes to the formation of singlet oxygen that kills bacteria.

I think this didnt work for many people because similar things could only work in the absense of any other inflammation.

titanium dioxide is in most sunscreens. Not sure it helps.

MemberMember
(@panos)

Posted : 04/07/2013 11:09 am

^^^^ the medication was oral though.

Regeneration from inside out is better than almost anything else.