Notifications
Clear all

[Rant] One thing I love...

MemberMember
(@flakyforecast)

Posted : 07/01/2022 9:58 pm

...is when others who have regular, smooth skin (or who may have had to deal with pimples in their teens) look at me, and then try to educate me on skincare and recommend me routines, procedures, or whatever else that tooootally worked for them. As if now I need a clue.

"Try putting grapefruit on your face!"
"I like to use x moisturizer! It's formulated with hya...h-hyur...hylonic.... uh, it has 'HA' inside it!"
"Look, this person got a laser peel!" *shows you an Instagram post of someone immediately after the procedure, who looks like they just paid someone to give them a mild sunburn instead*

Just kidding, sort of. I used to get upset over this when I was younger, but now I just go along with them and laugh about it later. Thanks for the uninitiated advice, I guess?!

MemberMember
(@catharsis2018)

Posted : 07/02/2022 8:40 am

10 hours ago, DramaticLatte said:

...is when others who have regular, smooth skin (or who may have had to deal with pimples in their teens) look at me, and then try to educate me on skincare and recommend me routines, procedures, or whatever else that tooootally worked for them. As if now I need a clue.

"Try putting grapefruit on your face!"
"I like to use x moisturizer! It's formulated with hya...h-hyur...hylonic.... uh, it has 'HA' inside it!"
"Look, this person got a laser peel!" *shows you an Instagram post of someone immediately after the procedure, who looks like they just paid someone to give them a mild sunburn instead*

Just kidding, sort of. I used to get upset over this when I was younger, but now I just go along with them and laugh about it later. Thanks for the uninitiated advice, I guess?!

I like to repeat what they said back to me in an exaggerated tone, with my eyebrows raised, and my mouth shaped into a little doughnut hole 

it usually shuts them up lol and makes them realize they are in no place to be giving you advice 

MemberMember
(@skin-pessimist)

Posted : 07/02/2022 2:36 pm

I dislike when people suggest acne (or scarring & other imperfections) is just caused by poor skincare or a bad diet. It's possible for those things to contribute, but it's absolutely not the only factor.

Some people eat poor diets and have a skincare routine consisting of washing their face with a bar of soap, yet get minimal acne. Meanwhile, I follow a comparatively better skincare routine (by conventional wisdom) & I'm in good health. That didn't stop me from getting acne scars

Kay24, harmlessboy1441, FlakyForecast and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@flakyforecast)

Posted : 07/02/2022 4:11 pm

7 hours ago, Catharsis2018 said:

I like to repeat what they said back to me in an exaggerated tone, with my eyebrows raised, and my mouth shaped into a little doughnut hole

it usually shuts them up lol and makes them realize they are in no place to be giving you advice

That reminds me of one time years ago, this older foreign woman who was cutting my hair (this is why I cut my own hair now) put her face really close to mine about halfway through the haircut, and began very loudly commenting on how bad my skin was. She told me something along the lines of how I need to take care of my skin, and told me to look at her smooth skin (it was smooth but also quite wrinkled). Her accent was so thick though I can't even remember what she was even trying to tell me. This was in front of a full salon with other staff & patrons, the rest of my time there felt like a nightmare lol

MemberMember
(@skin-pessimist)

Posted : 07/02/2022 8:16 pm

4 hours ago, DramaticLatte said:

That reminds me of one time years ago, this older foreign woman who was cutting my hair (this is why I cut my own hair now) put her face really close to mine about halfway through the haircut, and began very loudly commenting on how bad my skin was. She told me something along the lines of how I need to take care of my skin, and told me to look at her smooth skin (it was smooth but also quite wrinkled). Her accent was so thick though I can't even remember what she was even trying to tell me. This was in front of a full salon with other staff & patrons, the rest of my time there felt like a nightmare lol

that must have been incredibly uncomfortable for you

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 07/02/2022 9:07 pm

4 hours ago, DramaticLatte said:

Yeah some a-holes are like that but that's the world in a nutshell. I personally wouldn't be embarrassed at it anymore since most patrons would've seen it already. I'd just politely tell the woman you can't really cure, prevent or even fix DNA or medical issues but whatever too ignorant to understand probably.

That's what I mean when others on here use to compare acne scars with some other illness. It's perceived as "dirty" or different by society in many ways almost like it's an illness you could have prevented and you didn't or so on. There's a heavy level of discrimination with acne scars.