Notifications
Clear all

TCA Peel with spot laser treatment?

MemberMember
(@charisma786)

Posted : 07/31/2021 1:25 pm

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? I will be getting this procedure done from a doctor. I was going to do a phenol peel but now I have changed my mind as I don't want potential side effects. People that have gotten phenol done don't have the kind of scarring I do (there's is from acne and mine are thirteen year old chemical atrophic burn scars) i think I would be too much ofa risky candidate for phenol.

This is the info on the procedure I am looking into getting. So first they will do a TCA peel and then target any thickened lesions or scarring with the laser in a spot treatment. This soundsmore favourable to do thanjust a TCA peel alone.

This new Erbium Yag 2940nm Laser has the ability to effectively remove thickened lesions that cannot be sloughed off with the peel alone. The entire face and/or scalp is first treated with the procedure listed above, treating the superficial and underlying lesions. Immediately following, hypertrophic (thickened or enlarged) cells are flattened out in a systematic process with the laser. Multiple passes may be required until all the thickened areas are removed. The advantage is the skin is smooth when you leave the office, before the peeling has even started. Treatment can usually be completed without the use of any anesthetic and healing time is about 7-10 days

Any thoughts?

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 07/31/2021 1:38 pm

Interesting! I'd like to hear from someone who has more experience with this.

TCA peels areusually for the shallowest of scars. Usually it's done in conjunction with other treatments such as microneedling to stimulate collagen. I've done several of those and it didn't do anything for my boxcar scars.Erbium treatments also did nothing for my scars - or maybe they did but I only got 0.1% improvement and I couldn't tell. If combining them is more beneficial, I'd be learning something. I haven't seen a doctor offer both at the same time though.

MemberMember
(@charisma786)

Posted : 07/31/2021 2:24 pm

43 minutes ago, Amanda Hall said:

Interesting! I'd like to hear from someone who has more experience with this.

TCA peels areusually for the shallowest of scars. Usually it's done in conjunction with other treatments such as microneedling to stimulate collagen. I've done several of those and it didn't do anything for my boxcar scars.Erbium treatments also did nothing for my scars - or maybe they did but I only got 0.1% improvement and I couldn't tell. If combining them is more beneficial, I'd be learning something. I haven't seen a doctor offer both at the same time though.

So far I have done multiple subcision, fraxel repairs, microneedling, one phenol cross, and some fillers and I have gotten significant improvement from all with me thinking subcision, microneedling and fillers did the most improvement for me. I am also curious to combine. I read one study where microneedling was done then two weeks after TCA peel and this was alternated back and forth for a total of six treatments and each patient had substantial improvement. I am curious to try something similar. Fraxel repair, btw, is garbage and can cause fat loss. I had to use filler to fill in my upper cheeks because of the damage it caused me.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/31/2021 2:44 pm

19 minutes ago, charisma786 said:

So far I have done multiple subcision, fraxel repairs, microneedling, one phenol cross, and some fillers and I have gotten significant improvement from all with me thinking subcision, microneedling and fillers did the most improvement for me. I am also curious to combine. I read one study where microneedling was done then two weeks after TCA peel and this was alternated back and forth for a total of six treatments and each patient had substantial improvement. I am curious to try something similar. Fraxel repair, btw, is garbage and can cause fat loss. I had to use filler to fill in my upper cheeks because of the damage it caused me.

What % tca are they gonna use?

Do you know what % tca was used alternating with needling?

MemberMember
(@charisma786)

Posted : 07/31/2021 3:17 pm

34 minutes ago, JaysonC said:

What % tca are they gonna use?

Do you know what % tca was used alternating with needling?

Here is the study. Some of them are impressive results. They used 15 percent TCA.Subcision I have done 20 times already lol I do attribute that to most of my improvement along with fillers. It's the edges of three boxcars I need to get rid of. In most pictures my scarring is hard to see now as compared to before. I did show my pics to one or two people on here and they were of the belief that something like a phenol peel would be too strong for me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3996784/

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 07/31/2021 5:37 pm

3 hours ago, charisma786 said:

I was offered Fraxel by a dermatologist but I turned it down. Dr. Lim in one of his videos says it still works but its behind newer devices in terms of effectiveness and cost.

Fillers definitely help if you have rolling or wide or flat boxcar scars. Subcision is for rolling scars. I'm still unsure about microneedling.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/01/2021 12:27 am

9 hours ago, charisma786 said:

Here is the study. Some of them are impressive results. They used 15 percent TCA.  Subcision I have done 20 times already lol I do attribute that to most of my improvement along with fillers. It's the edges of three boxcars I need to get rid of. In most pictures my scarring is hard to see now as compared to before. I did show my pics to one or two people on here and they were of the belief that something like a phenol peel would be too strong for me. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3996784/

thanks charisma :) yeah phenol peel is very strong. unless you have really extensive scarring theres no neeed to get it done. by all means try a few tca peels first, you might end up not needing phenol at all

oh but they also performed subcision in the study not just needling and tca.

Charisma what would you say imrpoved with your 20 subcisions? Did the scars lift /fill or  was it rather the whole scarred area which lifted you know full field? did you also have Taylor L done?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/01/2021 12:42 am

also theres a hyper or hypopigmentation risk with darker skin types with the phenol peel. you dont want to end up hypopigmented. hyperpigmentation you can treat but hypo...

MemberMember
(@charisma786)

Posted : 08/01/2021 2:42 am

9 hours ago, Amanda Hall said:

I was offered Fraxel by a dermatologist but I turned it down. Dr. Lim in one of his videos says it still works but its behind newer devices in terms of effectiveness and cost.

Fillers definitely help if you have rolling or wide or flat boxcar scars. Subcision is for rolling scars. I'm still unsure about microneedling.

I felt subcision helped my boxcars but those scars like I said aren't from acne so maybe that's why. I am against laser usage after my experience. Should be used as a very last resort and maybe only once or twice at the most. 

2 hours ago, JaysonC said:

thanks charisma :) yeah phenol peel is very strong. unless you have really extensive scarring theres no neeed to get it done. by all means try a few tca peels first, you might end up not needing phenol at all

oh but they also performed subcision in the study not just needling and tca.

Charisma what would you say imrpoved with your 20 subcisions? Did the scars lift /fill or  was it rather the whole scarred area which lifted you know full field? did you also have Taylor L done?

That's what I am thinking that phenol isn't necessary for me because it's too much. The scars seemed to lift substantially so now when I look at them in different overhead lighting and even when I take different angled pictures it's harder to see. I still have the sharp borders there and some pores all over (scarred pores on nose and upper cheeks) that I would like to reduce. 

2 hours ago, JaysonC said:

also theres a hyper or hypopigmentation risk with darker skin types with the phenol peel. you dont want to end up hypopigmented. hyperpigmentation you can treat but hypo... 

I am a type 2 type 3 in my skin tone. I heal really fast from treatments and had no pigmentation issues with fraxel repair or phenol cross when I did it.