Notifications
Clear all

Need a community to talk about acne scar impact on mental health

MemberMember
(@stargirl16)

Posted : 02/23/2021 11:58 pm

Hello,

I had severe acne throughout most of high school and eventually my parents allowed me to take Accutane. It worked wonders on my skin but similar to many other people, I was left with deep acne scarring all over my cheeks and temples. Over the past 2 yearsI have tried many laser treatments and got subcision twice. The constant downtime and damaging of my skin again and again took a big mental tollon me. Aside from that I wasn't seeing much results and was beginning to shape my life around my scarring. I would avoid going to the gym because of the intense lighting and the fact that I couldn't hide behind my hair. I've struggled feeling fully comfortable in a relationship because my mind would constantly get wrapped around the idea that no guy could actually want to spend the rest of their life with someone whose skin looked like this. I do have up days and down days but I'm exhausted of keeping all of these thoughts bottled up and as much as I love them there's no way my clear skinned friends and family would fully understand.I'd really love advice on how to overcome this insecurity because I've decided that I don't want to get any more treatments done (laser seemed to only age my skin and I haven't seen any noticeable results for the price). Anything would be helpful; I'd love to talk to someone whose going through something similar.

Best wishes fellow acne sufferers!

Linds

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 02/24/2021 1:40 am

1 hour ago, Linds16 said:

I'd really love advice on how to overcome this insecurity because I've decided that I don't want to get any more treatments done

Get it fixed. That's really the only way.

Mentally, don't pay too much attention to what others might think or perceive of you. Don't let others dictate how you should live or think. If you can, give yourself some breathing room. Try to separate yourself from others and become independent. In the process, work on your inner strength.

1 hour ago, Linds16 said:

Over the past 2 years I have tried many laser treatments and got subcision twice (laser seemed to only age my skin and I haven't seen any noticeable results for the price). The constant downtime and damaging of my skin again and again took a big mental toll on me. 

I kinda digged around and found your pics. I hope you don't mind I post one here to make my point.

First of all, your scars are nowhere near severe. You have a combination of icepick and boxcars (see below for scar classification). Your icepicks are not that bad. It's the wide boxcars that really stick out. Luckily, there aren't that many and I believe they're easily treatable.

Second, I don't know who made a recommendation for laser and subcision, but those are pretty useless for both icepick and boxcar scars. Many people mistakenly think it's the pit or the depression that makes the scar visible. That is not the case. It is not the pit but the SHADOW, which is created by the scar border, that actually accentuates the scar. This is why in certain lighting your scars look much worse and in others they're less visible.

As such, what you need to do is, first and foremost, smooth down the hard edge around the boxcars and icepicks. In order to do that, you need (that's right) TCA. It's a medium-grade acid and it will over time lessen the appearance of hard lines as well as stimulate collagen. But, just to be sure that we're on the same page, it's important to understand that you need several treatments. 

image.png.1bdbf0b33bf2dec25f6f768de2b34a74.png 

image.png.77494ce00ec24a424c61375ca2a451e8.png

getsmart121, Amanda Hall, Suvvolo and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@stargirl16)

Posted : 02/24/2021 8:10 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the response, those pictures actually aren't mine however my skin looks very similar to hers. I'll definitely look into what you suggested however I think I want to give my skin a break from treatments for a while to see if any healing happens on its own. I'll include some pics bellow (my camera isn't that good so it looks less deep than it is). Would you still suggest TCA?

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 02/24/2021 8:39 pm

You could try dry needling in addition to a TCA peel. It may help, but you have to be consistent. You also at least in my experience can't have ongoing flare ups when doing this. If it were me I would pay the cost to have anaesthetician do it. I've caused problems going too much or too far with either intervention which is depressing in and of its self...However, that is not always in peoples' budget. And while I have chosen these treatments over saygroceries at the time. I wouldn't make that same decision again. Careful in what you do.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 02/24/2021 10:05 pm

1 hour ago, Stargirl16 said:

Would you still suggest TCA?

Yes, everything I mentioned abovestill stands. But there's no reason to rush, if you feel you need time off.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 02/25/2021 9:56 am

Look into TCA Cross. You'll need a number of treatments, patience, and time though. Talk to a qualified dermatologist - not all of them know how to apply it or even perform the procedure.

MemberMember
(@markjsatergmail-com)

Posted : 02/28/2021 2:35 am

As far as your mental health, try focusing on the positives in life. I know it can be challenging (acne scar sufferer myself), but in comparison to my scars yours are much better then mine. We tend to notice everything we dont like about ourselves, but pick one thing you do like about your appearance. My scars might be worse other people, but i know people with diabetes, alsertive colitis, MS, drug addictions, etc. Imo thats worse then having scars. I dont know your life but My point is their is always someone who has it worse. Life is too short and tomorrow is not guaranteed. Be grateful for everything you have today and good luck on your scar journey.

Oh sorry and i tottally can relate not not feeling secure in a relationship due to my scarring. Its so hard when everyone looks like they have gloss perfect skin.

MemberMember
(@stargirl16)

Posted : 02/28/2021 10:44 pm

It's so hard especially because everyone I know has largely nice and smooth skin.I agree, trying to focus on other things in life has helped a lot and there are people who have way worse struggles than acne scars. I appreciate your comment. I'm hoping overtime that I'll become more accepting of my scars.

MemberMember
(@bongomceegmail-com)

Posted : 08/05/2021 12:36 pm

What is most depressing is how futile it seems to treat it, seems like every other problem , weight, hair loss, big nose even recessed jaw have lifestyle or surgical options that are actually effective, yet here on the forums and others you constantly hear how people treat it for years with the variety approach and spend thousands and yet dont see any significant improvement. Mine is worse than the picture linked and are also fresh (under 6 months old for the most part), and I am housebound because of it.

1 hour ago, JenessaMontagna said:

The best solution for any problem is a Psychoanalyst. It's a fact that we should all know by now. We are all suffering from some mental blockage.

Even if some part of the problem is psychological, they are objectively unattractive, and studies have shown how people with acne scars are rated as less attractive and happy than than those without. I am worried that my dating prospects, job prospects , social prospects etc are all going to be affected by this, if I known the consequences of this kind of scarring when I was a teen, I would have insisted on accutane sooner.

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 08/05/2021 8:11 pm

On 2/24/2021 at 12:40 AM, Sirius Lee said:

Get it fixed. That's really the only way.

Mentally, don't pay too much attention to what others might think or perceive of you. Don't let others dictate how you should live or think. If you can, give yourself some breathing room. Try to separate yourself from others and become independent. In the process, work on your inner strength.

I kinda digged around and found your pics. I hope you don't mind I post one here to make my point.

First of all, your scars are nowhere near severe. You have a combination of icepick and boxcars (see below for scar classification). Your icepicks are not that bad. It's the wide boxcars that really stick out. Luckily, there aren't that many and I believe they're easily treatable.

Second, I don't know who made a recommendation for laser and subcision, but those are pretty useless for both icepick and boxcar scars. Many people mistakenly think it's the pit or the depression that makes the scar visible. That is not the case. It is not the pit but the SHADOW, which is created by the scar border, that actually accentuates the scar. This is why in certain lighting your scars look much worse and in others they're less visible.

As such, what you need to do is, first and foremost, smooth down the hard edge around the boxcars and icepicks. In order to do that, you need (that's right) TCA. It's a medium-grade acid and it will over time lessen the appearance of hard lines as well as stimulate collagen. But, just to be sure that we're on the same page, it's important to understand that you need several treatments. 

image.png.1bdbf0b33bf2dec25f6f768de2b34a74.png 

image.png.77494ce00ec24a424c61375ca2a451e8.png

If you™re scarring is really like that I can suggest you to try 1 to 2 excision. The way you wanna do this break the scar up if it is a large one by excising the middle portion of the scar.

. As there is a higher failure rate with large excisions and not healing properly.

MemberMember
(@perfectskin_dreamer)

Posted : 09/02/2021 9:30 pm

Absolutely understand. And for all of us acne and acne scar sufferers out there feel similar. It is hard to be confident when you worry about lighting and how your scars will show up and how it feels like such a focus, avoiding mirrors and harsh lighting whenever I can. I have been the happiest during the periods where I have done no treatments. It seems I have went into a tailspin when I try a treatment and it goes wrong and looks worse than when I started. It is the self-blame of trying something and making it look way worse that throws me into a depression cycle. I am not sure if this will help you, but after this last 6 month tailspin after a botched excision, I have now started Zoloft. I am not sure yet if it is helping as so new in trying it. I think of how much of my life has been wasted over my skin issues. It is so sad. The wasted time, the wasted money. No one who has clear skin and never even thinks about skin issues could ever understand this. It is the first thing people see and when that is not clear and even, it is noticeable. It is depressing. I have had so many sleepless nights because of it. Am sure many of you can relate...

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/02/2021 10:54 pm

ee with u more perfectskindreamer...going tru the same 'hell' at 45

couldnt agree with u more skindreamer

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/03/2021 4:35 am

I feel you so much. Acne has literally ruined my life and the scarring just causes even more mental damage. I can be optimistic and think of positives to going through certain experiences but thats just to make myself feel better. I've been through multiple procedures multiple times that have overall costed about 10k dollars with minimal results. It hurts so much just thinking about how that money could've helped me further my future, but now I'm just broke and still feeling ugly. It's even worse thinking a whole industry is looking like a haven or recovery center, but its in all honestly just another business banking on peoples insecurities. Its hard to maintain relationships, find employment, its always in the back of my head and I'm always in awe to watch people interact without caring what lighting their in, or what angle looks worse. If I'm going to be honest, it makes me suicidal.

7 hours ago, perfectskin_dreamer said:

Definitely sleepless nights. I can just vision a life I want to live, but stop myself because of my scars. These fake ass treatments make me feel even worse just throwing my money at people trying to chase a dream that is actually unrealistic. It makes me so mad to just think about how nice and fake they come off to reel in a patient just fucking with peoples mental health even more. I went through a 6k procedure that keeps you inside for 2 months and had minimal improvement. It's so traumatizing, I remember i couldn't even show my face to people who knew I was getting it from the embarrassment

MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 09/03/2021 3:27 pm

Wasted money, lost time (years), broken hope, sleepless nights, awful unspeakable experiences with others involving the scars. I have ptsd and agoraphobia from my experiences and I'm pretty sure I'm already gone. I have paranoid depression and my life is empty. I never leave the house for fun, only obligations.

If other peoplementally handle this better I'm grateful because it's taken itstoll on me. Treatments are HARD too, nothing is easy about any of this.I know getting notreatments is so so much worse but treatments are still hard. The downtime, the long recoveries, the redness and swelling,the letdowns. I'm so close but this journey has taken so much from me and I can't forget all that happened in the past. The stares, the dehumanizing comments, the horror on peoples' faces, the microaggressions from men who hate your face and hate your existence. That period whennot even my mother could look me in the eyes. There's mental trauma to being a scar victim. I hope I can overcome.

MemberMember
(@perfectskin_dreamer)

Posted : 09/03/2021 6:22 pm

Feel for all of us. Have been on this battle for 30 long years - in mid-40s. Have been on accutane, every acne treatment - topical, antibiotics, and then many acne scar treatments. Two botched that made things so worse - ultherapy and excision. Ultherapy caused me to go into an 18 month depression as I lost a bit of fat, feared my face would melt off like some cases, and was such a dumb move. Thie medspa thought oh if youtighten your face the acne scars will look a bit better. Had not researched it, felt harmless - radiowaves and then got home and went into a googling spiral of the horror cases. My face did not melt, thank goodness, but lost a bit of fat which at my age and scarring is not good! Then this last excision was a complete hack job on an ice pick scar - should have tried TCA cross, but didnt instead dented, deformed my whole cheek - 6 months of depression. It is just too much;want to live a normal carefreelife like many of us. As I blamed myself with this last botched excision and it deformed my cheek, I was semi- suicidal and knew I couldnt get out of this on my own - week 2 of Zoloft. Helps a bit take the edge off. I can think of a bit of other things than my face problems.

Now, I am awaiting my next move on this skin journeyI have a CO2 profractional laser appt Sept 22 and at the end of Oct. Made the same treatment appt so I could cancel Sept and give myself a mental health breakor better to get this next step just over - any advice? We all live on hope could this be the miracle to help me live a normal life and be ok with my looks. Or will thisbe a procedure where I go in a tailspin, get orange peelskin, redness for months, locked in crusty for a week and really take another mental nosedive. Any advice???

Kay24 liked
MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 09/03/2021 7:15 pm

MemberMember
(@perfectskin_dreamer)

Posted : 09/03/2021 7:38 pm

Happy to hear thst dermabrasionhelped you a lot! I feel your pain like many of us.

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 09/03/2021 8:29 pm

MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 09/03/2021 8:37 pm

2 hours ago, perfectskin_dreamer said:

Feel for all of us. Have been on this battle for 30 long years - in mid-40s. Have been on accutane, every acne treatment - topical, antibiotics, and then many acne scar treatments. Two botched that made things so worse - ultherapy and excision. Ultherapy caused me to go into an 18 month depression as I lost a bit of fat, feared my face would melt off like some cases, and was such a dumb move. Thie medspa thought oh if youtighten your face the acne scars will look a bit better. Had not researched it, felt harmless - radiowaves and then got home and went into a googling spiral of the horror cases. My face did not melt, thank goodness, but lost a bit of fat which at my age and scarring is not good! Then this last excision was a complete hack job on an ice pick scar - should have tried TCA cross, but didnt instead dented, deformed my whole cheek - 6 months of depression. It is just too much;want to live a normal carefreelife like many of us. As I blamed myself with this last botched excision and it deformed my cheek, I was semi- suicidal and knew I couldnt get out of this on my own - week 2 of Zoloft. Helps a bit take the edge off. I can think of a bit of other things than my face problems.

Now, I am awaiting my next move on this skin journeyI have a CO2 profractional laser appt Sept 22 and at the end of Oct. Made the same treatment appt so I could cancel Sept and give myself a mental health breakor better to get this next step just over - any advice? We all live on hope could this be the miracle to help me live a normal life and be ok with my looks. Or will thisbe a procedure where I go in a tailspin, get orange peelskin, redness for months, locked in crusty for a week and really take another mental nosedive. Any advice???

Did you mention to the nurse or doctor that you have orange peel texture fears? I always mention my side effect concerns so they can keep it in mind and stay with me during recovery. Also see if they have before and afters available.

Definitely go in when you feel ready. If you need a month to process october isn't too far, if you feel eager to get it then Sept 22 is right there for you.

MemberMember
(@perfectskin_dreamer)

Posted : 09/03/2021 10:51 pm

I am ready to have it one day - get it over with it and move on, but if it turn out worse or other side effects after the last 6 monthsI fear my mental state. I can cancel 2 days prior with no issue. Why isnt this all easier the process? navigating this? deciding on our own what to do?

MemberMember
(@perfectskin_dreamer)

Posted : 09/22/2021 5:17 pm

On 9/3/2021 at 8:37 PM, Kay24 said:

Did you mention to the nurse or doctor that you have orange peel texture fears? I always mention my side effect concerns so they can keep it in mind and stay with me during recovery. Also see if they have before and afters available.

Definitely go in when you feel ready. If you need a month to process october isn't too far, if you feel eager to get it then Sept 22 is right there for you.

So today was the day...and I went for it. I decided to take it on, was the next step from all my research CO2 Profractional Laser. I am now laying down and 'recovering' - my skin is very hot, but surprisingly no pain during the procedure with the face numbing cream that was on for an hour prior. I was so fearful of the pain and had virtually none. So, let's see how this goes. He says that it will be about 4 days of recovery and goop on my face, so stay in and the section with the most scarring will be better in more like 7 days. It is so strange to see the grid/dot patterns on my face - freaks me out. And during, you smell your flesh burning. So now we wait...

Kay24 liked
MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 09/22/2021 9:04 pm

MemberMember
(@scarwarrior)

Posted : 09/25/2021 2:48 am

On 9/22/2021 at 3:17 PM, perfectskin_dreamer said:

So today was the day...and I went for it. I decided to take it on, was the next step from all my research CO2 Profractional Laser. I am now laying down and 'recovering' - my skin is very hot, but surprisingly no pain during the procedure with the face numbing cream that was on for an hour prior. I was so fearful of the pain and had virtually none. So, let's see how this goes. He says that it will be about 4 days of recovery and goop on my face, so stay in and the section with the most scarring will be better in more like 7 days. It is so strange to see the grid/dot patterns on my face - freaks me out. And during, you smell your flesh burning. So now we wait...

CO2 is a great treatment but one single sessiontypically gives only 15% to 20% improvement. Generally 3 treatments result into 55% improvement in scars (boxcar and rolling) and a negligible improvement in ice pick scars.Hangin there and keep doing the treatments.

MemberMember
(@samsadleir)

Posted : 09/25/2021 8:40 am

tbh this scar journey is making me want to kms. i started optimistic, but two infini sessions produced no improvement and actually made my skin worse, lost collagen, fat, look damaged. i look 10 years older than I am. i have such bad fat atrophy in some lighting it's ridiculous. i have not seen any evidence that my scars can be treated really. can't even go outside anymore because i look like a monster in natural light, nevermind the lighting at clubs and shit like that. idk what to do rly. the future looks dim.

MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 09/25/2021 4:35 pm

7 hours ago, JudgmentPuzzleheaded said:

tbh this scar journey is making me want to kms. i started optimistic, but two infini sessions produced no improvement and actually made my skin worse, lost collagen, fat, look damaged. i look 10 years older than I am. i have such bad fat atrophy in some lighting it's ridiculous. i have not seen any evidence that my scars can be treated really. can't even go outside anymore because i look like a monster in natural light, nevermind the lighting at clubs and shit like that. idk what to do rly. the future looks

I know this feeling. Literally the only people who understand are other scarred people. The issueis incomprehensible to others.