Notifications
Clear all

Need a community to talk about acne scar impact on mental health

MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 09/29/2021 12:01 am

9 hours ago, harmlessboy1441 said:

I agree but there's a huge difference in mild scarring and severe scarring, not just cosmetic but physical symptoms.

What kind of physical symptoms do you have?

I noticed my face aches more often since treatment. Irritation is definitely higher. The worst thing I did was go hard with tretinoin. That stuff is no joke to lighter skin.

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 09/29/2021 8:10 am

Kay24 and liked
MemberMember
(@samsadleir)

Posted : 09/29/2021 9:33 am

10 hours ago, Acnescars6665 said:

Completely agree that it depends on the scarring. Severe/extreme scars would impact someone more than mild or moderate scarring. But man honestly I remember you posting your scars not too long ago and honestly your scars lookedreally mild, even other people said the same thing. Be easier on yourself..Judging by your recent posts I think this is affecting you more than it should. I really hope your situation gets better. Again, be easier on yourself bro. Your scars werent that bad if I remember correctly. Keep your yourhead up.

I'm not saying they are the worst on this forum, absolutely not, but they are still definitely worse than 95% of the general population. I'm just about to turn 26, yet I constantly see people in their 40s and 50s with better skin then me. The ones on my neck are severe. I can look normal in some lighting but in others it is brutal. I also am pale ginger so my complexion is sh*t anyway, which accentuates how blemished I look especially outdoor lighting.

MemberMember
(@perfectskin_dreamer)

Posted : 09/30/2021 7:17 pm

Let's all agree that if someone is suffering mental health issues over concerns related to their acne or acne scars that it is their experience and without judgment about that. Yes, could we all be more positive and say others who have a disability or other traumatic injury have it worse - yes, probably. However, it does not help if our reality is what we are living every day when we look in the mirror. It is hard to ignore the acne scars. And for people who have perfectly clear and non-troubled skin...they never even think about it. My husband, for example, has never had a skin issue, pimple nothing...he literally splashes his skin with water and goes....never even thinks about it. On the other hand, I am obsessed, I have all my creams and then appointments for scar treatments and then OCD looking at the scars, regretting treatments that have made it worse, researching treatments or doctors who can help. Yes, wasted hours of life, mental health issues because of it, a lot of money spent, etc. Hard to not compare and feel a bit depressed that it is something that is hard to conquer. Do we all probably need to get to that happy place of acceptance - yes, just not there. Am I a weak or shallow person because I just can't be happy the way I am - that God or genetics cursed me with sensitive, cystic acne skin? Yes, probably. But, that is my reality. The hardest has actually been the self-blame and misery after a treatment has not worked or gotten worse. That is when I think I have been at my lowest. Maybe, someday I will get to that ok place...just to accept that this is my story, that it is just who I am...just not there yet.

MemberMember
(@sick_wit_it)

Posted : 10/24/2022 10:01 pm

How is everyone doing today ? Hope you guys found peace somehow someway dealing with this disease of acne scars that makes a lot off people suffer . You guys are not alone