Notifications
Clear all

Prone to keloid and CO2 laser

MemberMember
(@jack817)

Posted : 10/22/2020 12:21 am

Hi all,

I have some small keloid and hypertrophic scars on my back from the acne and 2-3 small ones along my jawline, which are also from acne.

I have been doing 4 rounds of Fraxel Restore with high settings without developing any keloid and hypertrophic scars.

Since I only see 30% improvement for my scars, I would like to try the more aggressive version of Fraxel - the CO2 one.

Since I have the history of keloid, some of the websites say I shouldn't receive that treatment. But also from realself, some doctors say if it is done properly, it shouldn't have any issue.

Does any of you guys have similar experience or what do you think?

MemberMember
(@jack817)

Posted : 10/23/2020 12:04 am

Bump!

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 10/23/2020 2:04 pm

On 10/21/2020 at 10:21 PM, Jack817 said:

I have some small keloid and hypertrophic scars on my back from the acne and 2-3 small ones along my jawline, which are also from acne.

Since I have the history of keloid, some of the websites say I shouldn't receive that treatment. But also from realself, some doctors say if it is done properly, it shouldn't have any issue.

Well, if you think about it, keloid is nothing other than scar on steroid. It's just that, an oversized scar. It's almost like cancer. It doesn't know when to stop. So far, we know how to shrink the keloid by using steroid (yeah, play on words here) but we can't seem to find a cure to stop it from happening in the first place.

If you have history of keloid, then it's likely that history will repeat itself. It always does, sad to say.

BTW did you bother to ask the doctors on RealSelf what they meant by "done properly"? What does "properly" mean anyway?

MemberMember
(@jack817)

Posted : 10/23/2020 2:22 pm

Thanks @Sirius Leefor your feedback. This is the answer that I see from RealSelf https://www.realself.com/question/istanbul-tr-i-wanna-co2-laser-face-body-making-keloid-safe-laser-burning-scar . I might call to ask.

Do you think cheek will have less chance of developing keloids comparing to back and jawline since it has way less movement?

FYI, not every injury will leave a keloid on me, but only on back.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 10/23/2020 3:05 pm

29 minutes ago, Jack817 said:

Thanks @Sirius Leefor your feedback. This is the answer that I see from RealSelf https://www.realself.com/question/istanbul-tr-i-wanna-co2-laser-face-body-making-keloid-safe-laser-burning-scar . I might call to ask.

Do you think cheek will have less chance of developing keloids comparing to back and jawline since it has way less movement?

FYI, not every injury will leave a keloid on me, but only on back.

I'm aware that existing keloids can be treated with CO2 laser. There are many papers published on this topic. However, this isn't exactly the same thing as saying keloid can be avoided post-laser for those who are prone to developing it.

If you believe keloids are limited only on the back, then I suggest you experiment by treating your face with TCA, which is similar to laser. Ask your derm for a patch test. Apply small amount of 30% TCAon the cheek and see how your skin react.