Notifications
Clear all

Old acne scars

MemberMember
(@bernadetterockhotmail-com)

Posted : 07/08/2020 6:48 am

Hi

I would love advice on getting rid of old acne scars at the side of my mouth. I'm 41, and the scars are from teen acne, and I've never had acne since. The scars have only become obvious over the last few years. I think they're box scars. I've tried micro-needling about 4 sessions but didn't make much of a difference, and a now use Dr Pen, but again, not making any difference. I also use retinol 1.0 and Vit C. The scars are quite mild but seem really stubborn, and I'm quite self-conscious of them.  I've looked at getting different types of laser,  including fraxel, but not sure if that would go too deep. Would really appreciate your advice or thoughts. Thanks in advance.

skin pic 3.jpg

skin pic 2.jpg

Pic 1.jpg

MemberMember
(@anonymous682)

Posted : 07/08/2020 9:38 am

Any procedure has risk even when performed by an expert. You risk making them worse, its low but still possible. Laser done with the best doc in the world won't make up for poor healing on your part. With such nice skin texture my thought would be more to focus on mental acceptance over a procedure for scars this mild.

If you really want to try it, you will need an ablative laser imo. The general consensus is that non ablative is a scam for scars. Believe fraxel is non-ablative.

MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 07/08/2020 10:26 am

If you're wary of laser resurfacing then peel resurfacing is probably a consideration

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 07/08/2020 2:46 pm

7 hours ago, ExuberantOther said:

I would love advice on getting ridof old acne scars at the side of my mouth. I'm 41, and the scars arefrom teen acne...

The scars are quite mild but seem really stubborn...

The older they get, scars becomemore stubborn. Isn't that, in general, same with human nature as well?

At any rate, consider getting 2 or more rounds of 50% TCA Cross for the pits and 35% around the surrounding area.

MemberMember

Posted : 07/09/2020 2:13 pm

Thankyou so much for taking the time to respond. Sirius Lee your specificadvice is so helpful & much appreciated. I'll try the 50% TCA Cross for the pits. I've read up a lot on how to do the procedure safely at home. Can you please recommend a TCA brand/ product? I know there are a lot on the market but I'm sure the quality varies. I should also add that I live in Ireland, so may not be able to access all products.

Also, do you think a 35%peel on the surrounding areas carried out at home is too high-risk? Again I have researched how to do the peel, but would value your opinion.

Thanks again

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 07/09/2020 2:51 pm

7 minutes ago, ExuberantOther said:

Thankyou so much for taking the time to respond. Sirius Lee your specificadvice is so helpful & much appreciated. I'll try the 50% TCA Cross for the pits. I've read up a lot on how to do the procedure safely at home. Can you please recommend a TCA brand/ product? I know there are a lot on the market but I'm sure the quality varies.

Thanks again

Usually eBay or Amazon for higher strength TCA. Otherwise, I suggest MUAC. Be sure to get ones marked "medical grade".

If you intend to go the DIY route, I suggest you thoroughly review YouTube videos on "TCA Cross". Know what's involved and what could possibly go wrong. There are some horrific videos of uneducated people wrongly using TCA.

Needless to say, TCA Cross is applying the TCA solution directly in the pit using a toothpick. We're not slathering TCA all over the face. I suggest you start out with one scar and see how it reacts. Some of the things to look out for:How long does it take to heal? What are the side-effects (eg. hyperpigmentation), if any?

Good luck.

MemberMember

Posted : 07/09/2020 3:02 pm

Thanks Sirius Lee, I'll start with one scar and see how it works out. With the 35% that you suggest for the surrounding areas, is this too high risk to do at home? I have read up a lot on it, but I'd rather avoid taking unnecessary risks.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 07/09/2020 7:43 pm

4 hours ago, ExuberantOther said:

Thanks Sirius Lee, I'll start with one scar and see how it works out. With the 35% that you suggest for the surrounding areas, is this too high risk to do at home? I have read up a lot on it, but I'd rather avoid taking unnecessary risks.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Well, 35% is the standard strength used as TCA peel. But you could skip the 35% altogether if you choose. I find combining both Cross and Peel to be more effective than Cross alone. That said, you can always dilute the solution with water. However, anything less than 25% will have no effect on scar.

MemberMember

Posted : 07/10/2020 4:58 pm

Hi Sirius Lee, can you give me a bit more detail about combining both Cross & Peel, such as% etc, please?I assume this would mean doingmy whole face with a TCA peel, and then going back over the scars with the TCA cross in one sitting. Thanks for your patience and really appreciate you taking the time to explain.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 07/10/2020 5:49 pm

45 minutes ago, ExuberantOther said:

Hi Sirius Lee, can you give me a bit more detail about combining both Cross & Peel, such as% etc, please?I assume this would mean doingmy whole face with a TCA peel, and then going back over the scars with the TCA cross in one sitting. Thanks for your patience and really appreciate you taking the time to explain.

No. You will only be spot treating your scars. First, apply 50% TCA as close to the pitas possible using a toothpick. Try to avoid hitting the outer area. When the TCA frosts white, go over the outer rim of the pit with 25% using a cotton swab.

As previously noted, I suggest you test it on one scar before proceeding.

MemberMember

Posted : 07/12/2020 10:54 am

Thanks for this advice, very useful.