Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gigi2233

After a year of Rf microneedling treatment, I am disappointed.

Hi all,

I have tried 4 sessions of RF microneedling ( Endymed brand) , 4 sessions of cool touch laser for my acne  ( at Dr Suzan Obagi ’s office ) the past 10 months, and I don't see any improvement :(  I am very depressed at this point. No doctors at my area offer TCA cross or phenol cross. My best bet would be Erbium YAG & CO2 laser ( for scar ), Obagi blue peel ( for acne and scar ). I don't want to waste $$$$ on unnecessary treatments anymore. Please advise me! Thank you !

E1049DA9-1986-430C-876A-834CABC218EB.jpeg

8781E64B-0AFC-4E33-A79D-7651389F98AF.jpeg

0ED6F930-0E5B-4143-BD53-60C1FBBFAB29.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear that. I don’t think your type of scars will respond well to lasers and would hate to see you waste more money. CROSS is the best, but TCA can make them look wider so there’s always that risk factor with any treatment especially with Asian skin. Phenol would be great but you’d have to fly for CROSS and that equals more $$$. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dodgerguy said:

Sorry to hear that. I don’t think your type of scars will respond well to lasers and would hate to see you waste more money. CROSS is the best, but TCA can make them look wider so there’s always that risk factor with any treatment especially with Asian skin. Phenol would be great but you’d have to fly for CROSS and that equals more $$$. 

I totally agree with you ! Could I have some blue peel, TCA peel, Phenol done before I save enough Vacation days and $$$$ for TCA Cross? I was so disappointed when Dr. Suzan Obagi ( she is Dr. Obagi ’s daughter and director of the Upmc hospital cosmetic surgery center ) suggested me to have 3 sessions of Fraxel laser to get the best outcome.  Her methodology is so out of dated and the treatment plan for my acne doesn't work at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gigi2233 said:

I totally agree with you ! Could I have some blue peel, TCA peel, Phenol done before I save enough Vacation days and $$$$ for TCA Cross? I was so disappointed when Dr. Suzan Obagi ( she is Dr. Obagi ’s daughter and director of the Upmc hospital cosmetic surgery center ) suggested me to have 3 sessions of Fraxel laser to get the best outcome.  Her methodology is so out of dated and the treatment plan for my acne doesn't work at all.

I think peels will help more for texture and not so much for ice pick and boxcar scarring. You want to try to level the scars with the surface of the skin, so you can only imagine how many times you'd have to do peels to come close to doing that. I mean it might be possible if you do a peel every 3-4 months for like 10 years? Haha but I hope you get what I'm saying and don't fall for what aestheticians and dermatologists try to sell you on lasers and peels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

agreed with dodger, you will see minimal results with just peels. you want tca/phenol cross treatments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

perfect candidate for phenol cross, TCA cross. Just call around doctors in your area before you make consultation visit to not waste your time if they don't do it. There is aboslutely no reason you couldn't find a doctor that does this procedure. Call 5-10 different dermatologists if you have to. The FAQ has a list of doctors, Realself is also a good resource. 

Also please have active breakouts under control before you do this because it will block doctors from being able to paint scars if you have active acne over them. 

Also cross tends to lessen hyper pigmentation within scars, I would highly recommend taking advantage of getting on a tretinoin and hydroquinone routine with a good sunscreen while doing the Cross to even further lighten pigmentation. 

Edited by joeysk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gigi2233 CROSS is the way to go. If you went to Susan Obagi’s office, then you’re near Pittsburgh.

University of Penn does TCA cross according to the list of recommended docs in the link below:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2020 at 11:04 PM, dodgerguy said:

I think peels will help more for texture and not so much for ice pick and boxcar scarring. You want to try to level the scars with the surface of the skin, so you can only imagine how many times you'd have to do peels to come close to doing that. I mean it might be possible if you do a peel every 3-4 months for like 10 years? Haha but I hope you get what I'm saying and don't fall for what aestheticians and dermatologists try to sell you on lasers and peels. 

I lost trust in most doctors when they try to put me on laser and microneedling disregard the fact that those treatments have little affect to my scar 

On 2/2/2020 at 11:43 AM, joeysk said:

perfect candidate for phenol cross, TCA cross. Just call around doctors in your area before you make consultation visit to not waste your time if they don't do it. There is aboslutely no reason you couldn't find a doctor that does this procedure. Call 5-10 different dermatologists if you have to. The FAQ has a list of doctors, Realself is also a good resource. 

Also please have active breakouts under control before you do this because it will block doctors from being able to paint scars if you have active acne over them. 

Also cross tends to lessen hyper pigmentation within scars, I would highly recommend taking advantage of getting on a tretinoin and hydroquinone routine with a good sunscreen while doing the Cross to even further lighten pigmentation. 

Thanks :)  I will definitely start using the tretinoin again. I have called around but those doctors gave me an impression that they are not confident about their skill on Cross, they keep calling it’s outdated and the more advanced treatment is laser :( 

22 hours ago, superburrito said:

@Gigi2233 CROSS is the way to go. If you went to Susan Obagi’s office, then you’re near Pittsburgh.

University of Penn does TCA cross according to the list of recommended docs in the link below:

 

Thanks! I will check it out 

16 hours ago, Binga said:

You need to clear your acne first with accutane. 

I already did, but my hormone acne just won't go away :/ sad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doctors who tell you lasers are better are definitely the ones to avoid! As others have said cross would be the best treatment for your scars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hsd87 said:

Doctors who tell you lasers are better are definitely the ones to avoid! As others have said cross would be the best treatment for your scars.

I agree. I am so disappointed with the cosmetic surgery industry.  Doctors should care for the patients not takIng advantage of them. Sadly 99% the doctors ( even the best in my city ) just want to scam the most out of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gigi2233 said:

I lost trust in most doctors when they try to put me on laser and microneedling disregard the fact that those treatments have little affect to my scar 

Thanks :)  I will definitely start using the tretinoin again. I have called around but those doctors gave me an impression that they are not confident about their skill on Cross, they keep calling it’s outdated and the more advanced treatment is laser :( 

Thanks! I will check it out 

I already did, but my hormone acne just won't go away :/ sad 

Then you need another round with stronger dose. Also look into salicylic acid peels. I like salicylic acid gel peel from perfect image. For your scars the only thing that will work right now is phenol cross and punch float excision if you can find a doctor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gigi2233 said:

I lost trust in most doctors when they try to put me on laser and microneedling disregard the fact that those treatments have little affect to my scar 

Thanks :)  I will definitely start using the tretinoin again. I have called around but those doctors gave me an impression that they are not confident about their skill on Cross, they keep calling it’s outdated and the more advanced treatment is laser :( 

Thanks! I will check it out 

I already did, but my hormone acne just won't go away :/ sad 

yup. just keep calling, its worth it. Better if you can find someone that does Phenol cross because there is close to 0 percent chance of scar widening. I had 100 scars painted on my face both big and small and they all improved only 1 scar widened but also got shallow at the same time. You live in a major metropolitan area (Philly or Pitsburgh) so there is absolutely no reason you can't find a good doctor, just be persistent and keep doing research and making calls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2020 at 12:15 AM, joeysk said:

yup. just keep calling, its worth it. Better if you can find someone that does Phenol cross because there is close to 0 percent chance of scar widening. I had 100 scars painted on my face both big and small and they all improved only 1 scar widened but also got shallow at the same time. You live in a major metropolitan area (Philly or Pitsburgh) so there is absolutely no reason you can't find a good doctor, just be persistent and keep doing research and making calls. 

I live in Pittsburgh.I just find one doctor said TCA Cross is the same concept as TCA peel and he could help me.  If TCA Cross is that simple and easy then I am wondering why not many doctors willing to perform such simple procedure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gigi2233 said:

I live in Pittsburgh.I just find one doctor said TCA Cross is the same concept as TCA peel and he could help me.  If TCA Cross is that simple and easy then I am wondering why not many doctors willing to perform such simple procedure 

Lasers are very profitable, is my understanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gigi2233 said:

I live in Pittsburgh.I just find one doctor said TCA Cross is the same concept as TCA peel and he could help me.  If TCA Cross is that simple and easy then I am wondering why not many doctors willing to perform such simple procedure 

I wouldn't say it's easy, there are risks involved if you do it wrong. I went to a doctor and still got scar widening in two areas, and still have some pigmentation which is fading extremely slowly (I'm indian so have the darker skin type). 

Phenol cross apparently has less risks so I would try to find someone who does this first before looking for a tca cross person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, hsd87 said:

I wouldn't say it's easy, there are risks involved if you do it wrong. I went to a doctor and still got scar widening in two areas, and still have some pigmentation which is fading extremely slowly (I'm indian so have the darker skin type). 

Phenol cross apparently has less risks so I would try to find someone who does this first before looking for a tca cross person. 

do u know a good doctor besides Dr Rullan who offers phenol cross? i have large pores and small indents i want to get rid of but am afraid that tca will widen them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sisi90 said:

do u know a good doctor besides Dr Rullan who offers phenol cross? i have large pores and small indents i want to get rid of but am afraid that tca will widen them. 

I'm from the UK and dont at the moment no, I havent been looking yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hsd87 said:

I'm from the UK and dont at the moment no, I havent been looking yet.

me too. UK. do u know about dr firas al niaimi?  there should be another doctor at his clinic who does phenol? Dr Harryono Judodihardjo according to BA's guide. i just saw.

Edited by Sisi90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sisi90 said:

me too. UK. do u know about dr firas al niaimi?  there should be another doctor at his clinic who does phenol? Dr Harryono Judodihardjo according to BA's guide. i just saw.

No I havent. I'm seeing Dr Anil atm. Cross is a low priority for me because my scars are different. Im going to focus more on RF and subcision for now. Maybe they have a contact you can email. It would be good to know if this doctor does do phenol cross. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hsd87 said:

No I havent. I'm seeing Dr Anil atm. Cross is a low priority for me because my scars are different. Im going to focus more on RF and subcision for now. Maybe they have a contact you can email. It would be good to know if this doctor does do phenol cross. 

i googled him. on the website of his clinic it says tca not phenol cross hmm strange. thanks i'll email them and ask but consultation fee is £ 250 I have mild scarring, tried 70% glycolic peels but it didn't help much. i think i should see a doctor for those scars now

Edited by Sisi90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with peels resulting to only minimal results. I tried it once and it didn't work that well for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Thienphuoc no serum or cream will magically fill in ice pick, boxcar, and rolling scars. First pic looks like different person and second set has different lighting with some makeup. Nice try with the spam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×