Notifications
Clear all

Epiduo burns like crazy but clears acne... Help?

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 06/18/2019 2:36 am

I was prescribed Epiduo two weeks ago because I went to the doctor for my itchy skin and he told me it was due to my acne (which I don't really believe because the itching started this year while I've had acne for 4 years, and it's also itchy where I don't have acne). Anyway, I used it 2 nights in a row, and on the 3rd night (June 6)I applied it and had it on for about an hour until I couldn't take the burning and needed to wash it off.

On June 10 I decided to start using it again, but more carefully.I used it from June 10 until June 12, so 3 nights in a row without washing it off. On June 13 I applied my moisturizer with SPF as normal in the morning and then makeup on top and met up with my friend but my skin was itching like crazy so I had to go home and wash it off. That's when I decided to not use Epiduo that night. I haven't used it since either.

On June 15 I was gonna go to a hair appointment and I decided to try another SPF cream which I have at home, but as soon as I applied it my face started to sting so I had to wash it off immediately. I hadn't applied Epiduo for two days at this point!I decided that the SPF 15 in one of my mineral powder foundations would be my protection for the day. I was only out in the sun for 15 minutes when I walked to the salon, and 15 minutes when I walked home. When I got home I was a bit sweaty in my face. It started to sting and burn like crazy, as if someone had thrown acid on my face almost?! I washed off my makeup immediately and my face was burning for the rest of the day. It hasn't been burning since that day but my skin has been itchy and yeah... But it was itchy before I started with the Epiduo anyway.

The thing is, Epiduo is actually clearing up my acne. Although I only got to use it 6 times I noticed a huge different. I mean, the blackheads on my nose even cleared up overnight! I did use a spot treatment with benzoyl peroxide a few years ago but only for about a week because I absolutely hated the side effects. So yeah... I'm so torn between trying to use Epiduoagain and never using it again. The burning and itching affects my social life as I feel like I can't walk outside. When you're using Epiduo, you need to use SPF, but how the heck am I supposed to do that if every SPF starts to sting and itch when I apply it?! Also, I have soo much hyperpigmentation I can NOT go outside and feel pretty without makeup. I just can't. The day I went to the doctor (without makeup) and got Epiduo prescribed to me I actually cried on my way home because it was just too much when I noticed that people were looking at me. So yeah, I just wanna get rid of my acne once and for all but I also wanna be able to have a social life without needing to go home and wash off the SPF and the makeup. I want to feel beautiful. Has anyone been on Epiduo, or do you guys have another solution (NOT ROACCUTANE OR ANTIBIOTICS OR ANY OTHER MEDICINE OR WHATEVER! ONLY TOPICALS!)? Right now I'm only using tea tree oil but it's probably not gonna be as effective as the Epiduo...

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/18/2019 8:59 pm

Clear Skin

Itchy skin means fungus. Your itchy skin is NOT caused by acne. Instead, it is caused by fungus. Epiduo might control the "acne" for a short time (because it dries skin and kills any SECONDARY bacterial infection), but it will not control FUNGAL ACNE in the medium or long term (epiduo will generally make fungal acne worse after appearing to control it for a while). And, as you have found, the epiduo will NOT control the itching, because epiduo does not control fungus fungus very well if at all.

Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics and some other meds. Fungal acne can also be caused by hormonal issues just as ordinary acne can be.

Doctors know nothing about fungal skin conditions.

You can control the "acne" and fix the itchy skin by doing the following -

1. Buy clotrimazole topical antifungal cream and apply it to the areas with "acne" 2-3 times a day. Topical antifungal creams are TOTALLY safe and some/most (depending on country) are available without a prescription.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. Do NOT apply any moisturisers or organic oils to the areas with acne unless your skin becomes very dry. Moisturisers and organic oils feed one type of fungal acne and all fungus loves moisture.

If you get back to me with answers to the questions below, I can provide targeted information to control your "acne".

Have you taken antibiotics or other meds.

Do you have one or more of the following (as well as the acne) - white coating on your tongue, dandruff, flaking skin, toenail fungus, itchy (yes) and/or painful skin, red rash/es, unexplained tiredness, headaches, "brain fog", stomach or gut problems, sinus problems.

You may need a more targeted antifungal cream to control the "acne". I can provide information about this after I hear back from you.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 06/19/2019 1:10 am

Yeah, you wrote that in my other thread from a few weeks ago. I used the anti-fungal creams for 2 weeks and while the acne got a bit improved from it, the itchiness didn't. So I stopped because I figured it wasn't fungal after all.

Now that I have started using tea tree oil, it feels like something is crawling on my face. Don't know if it's non-related to the tea tree or if it's a sign that it's killing bacteria or fungus... Because it's crawling in other places as well. I might be deficient in B12 so I'm gonna take a blood test tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/19/2019 9:01 pm

OK