Notifications
Clear all

I am suffering from either MPB or Acctane hair loss

MemberMember
(@andrewryan)

Posted : 04/28/2019 12:04 am

Over the past few days I have noticed my receding hairline and I feel pretty down about it. I noticed hair loss for a few months because I was on accutane (its been almost over 6 months since I quit) and the past few days I the toll its taken.

I have pretty bad acne scars all over my face, which was why I ended up on acctuane, as I was breaking out massivly again. There's a few other factors but the scarring has led me to quite bad depression. I am not on any medication for the depression but was on valium few times when times got super rough.

My hair gave me a little confidence boost but now its going, I am starting to have pretty bad thoughts again, which I have had in the past. I went to the doctors and was told it's not my thyroid because I had blood work done. I was told accutane could lead to hair loss but not to worry as it usually comes back.

I feel from looking at myself in the mirror, accutane may have started it but this looks like male pattern boldness. I hate sounding dramatic but this one is tough and I feel like I won't be able to handle it well.

I took two photos with harsh light as I work at a 24hr gym. I can see my scalp, which is something that's never happened to me before. When I comb my hair strands fall out and when I wake up there's usually hair on my pillow.

Any suggestions or even just a converstation would be appreicated.

Thank you.

Image 1 : [removed]

Image 2: [removed]

MemberMember
(@rapharapha)

Posted : 04/30/2019 2:18 pm

This looks normal for a man. Accutane might have speed hair loss probably. If you are not naturally losing hair, accutane induced hair loss is not permanent.

BTW. you dont have any scarring on forehead and temples which is very good.

How much accutane (times, dosage and duration) have you used until now?

-----------------

Baldness is 0 problem comparing to scarring acne in my opinion.

MemberMember
(@andrewryan)

Posted : 05/03/2019 1:12 am

On 4/30/2019 at 8:18 PM, rapharapha said:

This looks normal for a man. Accutane might have speed hair loss probably. If you are not naturally losing hair, accutane induced hair loss is not permanent.

BTW. you dont have any scarring on forehead and temples which is very good.

How much accutane (times, dosage and duration) have you used until now?

-----------------

Baldness is 0 problem comparing to scarring acne in my opinion.

I want to first say thank you and sorry for not getting back sooner. I didn't notice you had replied. I sadly do have scarring on temples and forehead. It seems my phone has this auto smoothing filter on and I don't think it can be turned off.

I was on Roccutane 20mg per pill and I had to rotate: 2 pills a day on day 1, three pills a day on day 2, then I had to alternate between day 1 and day 2. I was on this routaine for many months (almost a year i think) before quitting around November because I couldn't take the ultra dry skin and hair was falling out.

Once I stopped, I assumed the hair would stop falling out too. I honestly didn't pay much notice even when I saw hair was falling out (I have depression and jobless at the time). I had very thick hair, so I tried not to stress too much. It's only when I looked in the mirror (I try to avoid looking at myself because of the scarring) recently I noticed how much had actually fallen.

My scalp is senestive. Sometimes it feels there's a tingling feeling. There seems to be spots ontop of my head too. My GP said i don't have scalp disease but maybe he didn't notice the spots. They feel like lumps but there's not many of them.

I take various vitamins and minerals like: Iron, krill oil, msm crystals, vit c, milk thistle, saw palmetto and baicalin.

I have changed my shampoo to Nizoral and I apply Regrowz (natural hair loss solution). The natural solution I apply every other day and its very greesy, so I end up washing my hair every other day too.

Should I stop the natural solution and see what changes? My hair was falling before, so I don't think its harming by applying.

MemberMember
(@rapharapha)

Posted : 05/05/2019 2:48 pm

On 5/3/2019 at 8:12 AM, AndrewRyan said:

ooner. I didn't notice you had replied. I sadly do have scarring on temples and forehead. It seems my phone has this auto sm

Hmmm. Dont know what to suggest. I wouldnt put greasy stuff on my hair, as this could trigger scalp acne, which causes MY hair to thin. I wouldn't take a lot of suplements also, but replace with natural sources, but if you feel some supplements help keep taking.

Don't know, hair thinning is natural for post adolescent males.

So you took like 60mg one day and 40mg another, for a year? After how long did your skin clear?

MemberMember
(@andrewryan)

Posted : 05/07/2019 2:09 am

On 5/5/2019 at 8:48 PM, rapharapha said:

Hmmm. Dont know what to suggest. I wouldnt put greasy stuff on my hair, as this could trigger scalp acne, which causes MY hair to thin. I wouldn't take a lot of suplements also, but replace with natural sources, but if you feel some supplements help keep taking.

Don't know, hair thinning is natural for post adolescent males.

So you took like 60mg one day and 40mg another, for a year? After how long did your skin clear?

My skin has been clear ever since. If I happen to have the odd spot, it clears up on its own within 1 or 2 days at most. This leads me to think Acctuane is still in my system.

Was the amount of Acctuane I was on unusually high?

Since we last spoke, I cut my hair short to keep track of it. I have started sleeping much better since I was put on my anti-depressants and I even put on weight (I have been underweight for all my life).

I will keep trying with the hair but thank you for helping me through the shock phase. Seeing my scalp for the first time was quite a surprise.

MemberMember
(@gold-casio)

Posted : 05/07/2019 1:56 pm

I have the same scalp tingling you have too man. Ive been off accutane for about 2.5 years now. Hair loss on my beard and eyebrows and scalp. This sucks. Had to shave my head. I had thick asian hair and it is thin all over my head and patchy.

MemberMember
(@bobbyeast)

Posted : 05/10/2019 11:40 pm

On 5/7/2019 at 2:56 PM, gold casio said:

I have the same scalp tingling you have too man. Ive been off accutane for about 2.5 years now. Hair loss on my beard and eyebrows and scalp. This sucks. Had to shave my head. I had thick asian hair and it is thin all over my head and patchy.

Sounds like me...off isotretinoin for about 4 months now. Didnt really notice significant rapid hair loss until 2 months ago. Hairline has receded and hair on top of scalp (the crown) has thinned out quite a bit along with my eyebrows and armpit hair. Oddly though the hair on the sides and back of head dont seem to have been effected at all. Also used to have thick Asian hair.Derm did a scalp biopsy and said its consistent with TE. Im just hoping its temporary (most websites and my derm suggested 6 months is typical) but its discouraging to hear so many stories on here and other sites of people continue to lose hair for years. Hoping what you have is chronic te and will reverse in time as opposed to being permanent.

when you say you had to shave your hair, do you mean you shaved it completely bald or do you mean a buzz cut? I would say Ive lost about 30-40% of the hair on my scalp in the last 2 months but it seems to be slowing down just a bit and maybe because I physically have less hair for it to fall out. Just really hoping I dont eventually go completely bald from this

MemberMember
(@gold-casio)

Posted : 05/11/2019 1:37 am

1 hour ago, bobbyeast said:

Sounds like me...off isotretinoin for about 4 months now. Didnt really notice significant rapid hair loss until 2 months ago. Hairline has receded and hair on top of scalp (the crown) has thinned out quite a bit along with my eyebrows and armpit hair. Oddly though the hair on the sides and back of head dont seem to have been effected at all. Also used to have thick Asian hair.Derm did a scalp biopsy and said its consistent with TE. Im just hoping its temporary (most websites and my derm suggested 6 months is typical) but its discouraging to hear so many stories on here and other sites of people continue to lose hair for years. Hoping what you have is chronic te and will reverse in time as opposed to being permanent.

when you say you had to shave your hair, do you mean you shaved it completely bald or do you mean a buzz cut? I would say Ive lost about 30-40% of the hair on my scalp in the last 2 months but it seems to be slowing down just a bit and maybe because I physically have less hair for it to fall out. Just really hoping I dont eventually go completely bald from this

I had to buzz it to. #3 at first but now its a #1. May have to go to 0 soon. At first it was just the top and now its the sides and back too. Theres a guy on reddit who is also asian and his looks like where mine is headed. Just google reddit xboxfun username. He posts pics of his.

MemberMember
(@bobbyeast)

Posted : 05/19/2019 6:42 am

On 5/11/2019 at 2:37 AM, gold casio said:

I had to buzz it to. #3 at first but now its a #1. May have to go to 0 soon. At first it was just the top and now its the sides and back too. Theres a guy on reddit who is also asian and his looks like where mine is headed. Just google reddit xboxfun username. He posts pics of his.

Yea Ive seen his post before. Mine doesnt actually quite look like that. Most of my hair loss seems to be on the top of my scalp and hairline rather than all over and I havent loss enough yet for people to notice or for my scalp to be visible. The only thing visible right now is my hairline has receded maybe a quarter inch. Im hoping the sides and back dont start to fall out as well as youve indicated although its only been two months since Ive been experiencing this. Damn,a #1 is pretty short thats almost completely bald. Is there a reason that you dont grow it out a bit? Or would it look patchy if you did? I purposely tell the barber to not touch the top of my hair at all so that the remaining longer hairs cover up any thinning. I find that gel also gives it a bit more volume to cover up any thinning. Maybe Ill post a pic of mine later so u can see what I mean.

MemberMember
(@owen2000)

Posted : 05/27/2019 5:19 pm

On 4/28/2019 at 6:04 AM, AndrewRyan said:

Over the past few days I have noticed my receding hairline and I feel pretty down about it. I noticed hair loss for a few months because I was on accutane (its been almost over 6 months since I quit) and the past few days I the toll its taken.

I have pretty bad acne scars all over my face, which was why I ended up on acctuane, as I was breaking out massivly again. There's a few other factors but the scarring has led me to quite bad depression. I am not on any medication for the depression but was on valium few times when times got super rough.

My hair gave me a little confidence boost but now its going, I am starting to have pretty bad thoughts again, which I have had in the past. I went to the doctors and was told it's not my thyroid because I had blood work done. I was told accutane could lead to hair loss but not to worry as it usually comes back.

I feel from looking at myself in the mirror, accutane may have started it but this looks like male pattern boldness. I hate sounding dramatic but this one is tough and I feel like I won't be able to handle it well.

I took two photos with harsh light as I work at a 24hr gym. I can see my scalp, which is something that's never happened to me before. When I comb my hair strands fall out and when I wake up there's usually hair on my pillow.

Thank you.

Image 1 : https://imgur.com/KGMkYQL

Image 2: https://imgur.com/D6BAmly

Thats exactly how slowly mine is starting to look as well.

Im really considering getting a hair transplant on finance if it proceeds to get any worse.

MemberMember
(@owen2000)

Posted : 07/01/2019 4:40 pm

On 4/28/2019 at 6:04 AM, AndrewRyan said:

Thank you.

Image 1 : https://imgur.com/KGMkYQL

Image 2: https://imgur.com/D6BAmly

That looks exactly like whats happening with me right now.

By any chance did you lose any of your eyebrows or eyelashes at all, Im experiencing loss on those too, although I dont have alopecia.