Notifications
Clear all

Can antibiotics cure acne permanently? + Need help

MemberMember
(@huskychef)

Posted : 04/06/2019 1:56 pm

Hi all :)

(TLDR AT THE END)

Bit of background first, I suffered from severe cystic acne at the age of 16-17 and after trying antibiotics, topicals, etc that failed to help, the only relief I got was from accutane prescribed at the end of being 17 by my derm. I responded incredibly well and noticed almost immediate results...I did a 9 month course I believe starting off with a low dosage for my weight (so the course was longer to get the accumulated dose) and ended at about 1mg/1kg the last month or 2.. My skin had ABSOLUTELY NO ACNE and I regained confidence that had been lost to acne and started enjoying my life and it even cured my anorexia by just feeling better about my looks. A month after stopping I noticed little red blemishes on my face so my derm put me on a second course...again I was completely clear. This second course was about 4 months on 1mg/kg (80mg) from start to finish, but acne returned 3 months after stopping, albeit MUCH less severe and I was able to manage it with diet to keep it very mild for 2 years and I was happy. 

Well....6 months ago I was stupid and took bodybuilding drugs for 2 weeks (not steroids - a œsafer alternative) and ever since I™ve been breaking out so bad... I stopped them immediately but I™m still breaking out. I know I™m stupid. Diet doesn™t work anymore so I went to a private dermatologist and she prescribed an oral and topical antibiotic.

Will this work? I don™t want to bother if it™s only going to clear me for the 3-4 months I™m on them....  should I request accutane again as it seems to be the only thing that has ever had a noticeable effect on me?

TLDR: Had cystic acne as a teen that accutane resolved (2 courses). Recently been breaking out bad again 2 years later....went to a private derm and she prescribed topical and oral antibiotics. Is there any point taking these if oral antibiotics only work while you™re on them? Should I request accutane again?

2427ACA4-883F-4EA4-BEBB-C2BA3CE02221.jpeg

FD836A2A-4151-4D2F-BE59-A38F02874BD9.jpeg

MemberMember
(@rapharapha)

Posted : 04/30/2019 2:48 pm

Well. If acne was caused by hormon drug it could go away after your body "heals" from it. Antibiotics will solve and calm it for the meantime.

If it is acne caused by your body natural processes antibiotics will only clear it for the duration you take them. Expect acne to return couple of weeks after stop taking them.

On the pictures it looks like you have very minor scar for someone who has been taking 80mg of accutane daily. You are blessed and good luck.

BTW which antibiotics are you using?

MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 04/30/2019 4:00 pm

No, they do not fix the underlaying cause, they just get rid of ur active breakouts.

MemberMember
(@huskychef)

Posted : 05/01/2019 2:01 pm

It's been 7-8 months since I took the drugs tho, surely my body should be "healed" by now, no? Should I see an endocrinologist? This is making me insane! My hair isn't even half as thick as it used to be either! 

Doxycycline btw :) I stopped taking it a few weeks in because I didn't feel like it was doing anything and knew it would just come back as soon as I got off them. No point destroying my gut biome for nothing.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/01/2019 7:01 pm

Antibiotics cause fungal "acne". If you have dandruff and/or a white tongue, you are likely to have outbreaks of candida or malasezzia, which cause acne like symptoms but are not acne.

Get back to me for more information about controlling fungal "acne" if you have one or more of dandruff, flaking skin especially around eyebrows, a white or yellow coating on your tongue, red rashes, cracks at the corner of your mouth, and possibly unexplained tiredness or unexplained headaches.