Notifications
Clear all

could accutane help pre existing scars?

MemberMember
(@bellacat)

Posted : 03/12/2019 12:35 am

I'm just thinking if the topical tretinoin helps regenerate collagen and even out scars could accutane do the same because it is an oral version of a retiniod? has anyone had that experience that it has helped?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10886272

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 03/12/2019 8:42 am

@bellacatRetin-a, tretinorin, differin, micro... these are all basics to useat home for cell turnover. They will not get rid of scars in all but the most light scarring. Excessive usage can also though not be prudent. Look at Accutane that causes the skin to need to heal for a year afterwards, thin, damaged, dry, causes more scars to appear, sensitivity. I think it would be absolutely insane to take take Accutane for scarring, sounds like a pharma rep is looking for more sales with this study. They are not the same thing, one is a topical, the other works on deep layers using the liver to purge. Read any of the Accutane posts they come here and complain and then want treatment but have to wait to heal - not to mention side effects.

If you see my posts I offer this solution often, not to solve people's scars but as a at home treatment regimen to soften them a bit.

Use nightly: Retin-a or tretinorin(prescription), or Differin (Target/Walmart), The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid (if you can't get the above). Cureology(USA) & Yoderm(USA) provides online prescriptions with customized skin care creams for your concerns, those in UK Dermatica provides the same thing. Apply a moisturizer when your face is dripping wet. Wait 5 minutes for it to dry, and then apply the tretinoin. This cuts down on irritation, you can also skip days of application if it's irritating and you need to build up %. This provides skin turnover - new collagen. To prevent (reds & browns from all Dr-treatments to ethnic skin or to work on current skin discoloration), try PCA hydroquione free gel for Hyperpigmentaion (Amazon) or Cureology/Dermatica includes this in their products if ordered. Using this prevents hyperpigmentation from treatments. Hydroquinone has side effects for some people, natural option as listed above is better or ingredients kojic acid/Konjac and skin lightener ingredients, like Niacinamide by The Ordinary is great for pores and discoloration as well. The Ordinary, Cerave, Eucerin, Dr Sam Bunting Flawless Cleanser, and Acne.org's products are all great options for moisturizers and cleaners without fragrance / dyes / allergens. Sunscreen is a must (for the sensitive use zinc only physical ones)!