Notifications
Clear all

Can anyone explain what this is?? Cluster of small white bumps

MemberMember
(@whitesoles)

Posted : 08/16/2018 1:43 pm

Hey guys. So I have mild acne here and there, usually triggered by eating habits but lately I have not been having anything out of the ordinary.. no extra sugar or sodium. I™ve had dairy products sparingly but that™s it. I notice thought, that I frequently (every week or so) get breakouts of a cluster of white heads(?) around my mouth and on my cheek. They™re the type that if I was to scratch it lightly it would pop but they also sting a bit if I exfoliate over them. They usually go away within a week but I™m getting super frustrated. If anyone can offer any insight I™d be super happy. 

173FF05D-6FE9-4B4C-8232-19D8E3C76B13.jpeg

MemberMember
(@ehkawthaw)

Posted : 08/18/2018 3:06 pm

I get those all the time and idk what they r either

MemberMember
(@nvrr)

Posted : 05/13/2019 3:56 pm

Did you find out what they are? Out what cures them? I have them too. Haven't been able to find anyone else with these!!

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/13/2019 7:29 pm

These white bumps are possibly gram negative foliculitisis. Gram negative foliculitisis is caused by gram negative bacteria, and occurs from taking antibiotics for acne (which kill gram positive bacteria and allow gram negative bacteria to flourish). Have you taken doxycycline or tetracycline ? If so, get back to me.

MemberMember
(@pitchface)

Posted : 06/20/2019 11:39 am

On 5/14/2019 at 5:59 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

These white bumps are possibly gram negative foliculitisis. Gram negative foliculitisis is caused by gram negative bacteria, and occurs from taking antibiotics for acne (which kill gram positive bacteria and allow gram negative bacteria to flourish). Have you taken doxycycline or tetracycline ? If so, get back to me.

I have the exact same type of bumps. They started two years ago when I switched sunscreens, but even after switching back they are just not disappearing! Started around the jaw, now have spread to cheeks, forehead, chin.. They persist, spread sometimes, disappear within a day only to reappear in the morning. I went to a derm who said my 10 year old acne was starting to come back(??) but the stuff she prescribed did not help. I haven't taken any of the above antibiotics. But switching sunscreens was the beginning of it. Have tried nizoral, tea tree oil, clindamycin cream, aloe vera, facial scrubs - and now vitamin c cream, zinc, and nothing is working. Have been told by doctor that I don't have dandruff, either. Please suggest some solutions? I am feeling completely helpless. Pic attached

Image_acne_org.jpeg.d6d86e1d288981b30a81f3be1ec9752d.jpeg

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/20/2019 7:36 pm

Pitchface and others on this thread

You have gram negative bacterial acne probably/possibly combined with fungal acne.

Clindamycin is an antibiotic and it can also cause gram negative acne (sometimes called gram negative folliculitis), which is what you most likely have. Clindamycin kills bacteria but it does not kill the bacteria that cause gram negative acne, and they proliferate and cause acne.

Apply an antibiotic ointment with polymixin in it (sold as neosporin or polysporin) to the areas with acne. Polymixin kills the bacteria that cause gram negative acne.

Also apply some clotrimazole anti fungal cream (sold a Canesten or similar) to the areas with acne, because gram negative acne an fungal acne often occur together.

Clindamycin (and other antibiotics) cause fungal acne.

Dermatologists and other doctors know NOTHING about fungal acne and they mostly know NOTHING about gram negative acne.

Acne does NOT just come back. Something causes it - in adults that sometime is usually fungus or gram negative bacteria.

Do you have a white tongue or itchy or painful red rashes?

Let me know how you go after a week or 10 days of applying the polymixin ointment plus the clotrimazole cream.

MemberMember
(@pitchface)

Posted : 10/08/2019 2:58 pm

On 6/21/2019 at 6:06 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

You have gram negative bacterial acne probably/possibly combined with fungal acne.

Clindamycin is an antibiotic and it can also cause gram negative acne (sometimes called gram negative folliculitis), which is what you most likely have. Clindamycin kills bacteria but it does not kill the bacteria that cause gram negative acne, and they proliferate and cause acne.

Apply an antibiotic ointment with polymixin in it (sold as neosporin or polysporin) to the areas with acne. Polymixin kills the bacteria that cause gram negative acne.

Also apply some clotrimazole anti fungal cream (sold a Canesten or similar) to the areas with acne, because gram negative acne an fungal acne often occur together.

Dermatologists and other doctors know NOTHING about fungal acne and they mostly know NOTHING about gram negative acne.

Acne does NOT just come back. Something causes it - in adults that sometime is usually fungus or gram negative bacteria.

Let me know how you go after a week or 10 days of applying the polymixin ointment plus the clotrimazole cream.

Thank you. I did as you suggested and applied neosporin and clotrimazole cream, which immediately spread my breakout to other parts of my face and neck. It was terrible- I must have had a hundred of those pustules sticking out of my face.I think the greasy neosporin did it, really. I do have very sensitive skin susceptible to breakouts.

My skin was so bad then that I immediately went to a new derm who diagnosed me with folliculitis and suggested an antibiotic Levaquin, which got rid of the folliculitisin 4 days. However, after the five day course, it returned.

I am now on a 10 day Levaquin course along with 10mg isotretinoin for a month.The whitehead-like folliculitis is entirely gone. I also did some spot treatment with 2.5% BP, just in case - read a guy's account who combined PanOxyl soap with his antibiotics for folliculitis, and contd with the soap once the antibiotic course was over. Fingers crossed.

MemberMember
(@zee3)

Posted : 08/03/2021 10:02 am

On 5/13/2019 at 8:29 PM, Aussie Scientist said:

Hello I've taken doxycyline recently and have the same issue

MemberMember
(@cherylontop)

Posted : 02/12/2022 9:24 am

I was having the same issue for a month. And as I googled about it, I think 'Aussie scientist' is right about it. It's a disease that is caused by the antibiotics or steroid killing gram positives, which causes the gram negatives to flourish. And most of the doctors recommend quitting the antibiotics which caused it and try Isotretinoin for 20 weeks. Taking minocycline can make them go away, but it kills both gram positive and negative, which makes the imbalance of them. I've tried minocycline and after quitting it, the acnes came up again. 

E42A8268-7AF1-4820-9FD2-A8F9DF97B1BC.jpeg

MemberMember
(@organizada-plugin-02)

Posted : 08/13/2022 4:17 pm

On 6/20/2019 at 8:36 PM, Aussie Scientist said:

Hello, I have a white tongue and have noticed this type of acne. What does it mean?

MemberMember
(@lamia1235)

Posted : 12/10/2023 6:38 pm

Posted by: @Pitchface

On 5/14/2019 at 5:59 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

These white bumps are possibly gram negative foliculitisisi. Gram negative foliculitisis is caused by gram negative bacteria, and occurs from taking antibiotics for acne (which kill gram positive bacteria and allow gram negative bacteria to flourish). Have you taken doxycycline or tetracycline ? If so, get back to me.

I have the exact same type of bumps. They started two years ago when I switched sunscreens, but even after switching back they are just not disappearing! Started around the jaw, now have spread to cheeks, forehead, chin..AThey persist, spread sometimes, disappear within a day only to reappear in the morning. I went to a derm who said my 10 year old acne was starting to come back(??) but the stuff she prescribed did not help. I haven't taken any of the above antibiotics. But switching sunscreens was the beginning of it. Have tried nizoral, tea tree oil, clindamycin cream, aloe vera, facial scrubs - and now vitamin c cream, zinc, and nothing is working. Have been told by doctor that I don't have dandruff, either. Please suggest some solutions? I am feeling completely helpless. Pic attached

Image_acne_org.jpeg.d6d86e1d288981b30a81f3be1ec9752d.jpeg

A

same things .it started from

changing the sunscreen .still going on .how did u fix it?

MemberMember
(@12lol12)

Posted : 02/17/2024 4:01 am

Hey i have the same problem and recently started using clindamycin should I stop or what? And i have dandruff issue , can this be a reason too ?