Notifications
Clear all

Success stories?

MemberMember
(@hopeful74)

Posted : 02/28/2018 9:36 am

Would love to hear from anyone who has been on antibiotics for acne and if they had success when they stopped. Would also just like to hear success stories of overcoming acne.....

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 02/28/2018 9:18 pm

Hey Hopeful74,
I used antibiotics as a teenager and unfortunately every time the antibiotics ran out my acne came back. When I went to college I eventually saw a derm and went on accutane. I had a tough time with blood noses while taking that but it cleared up my acne and I could finally put that chapter of life behind me. I now have a teenage son who is going through the acne struggle. He is the same with antibiotics...they work great while he is taking them but once he stops the acne comes back. We are just starting to consider that he may have to use accutane also to get his skin under control. Good luck with your journey!
Kind regards, Jazzguy

MemberMember
(@hopeful74)

Posted : 03/01/2018 12:32 pm

15 hours ago, Jazzguy said:

Hey Hopeful74,
I used antibiotics as a teenager and unfortunately every time the antibiotics ran out my acne came back. When I went to college I eventually saw a derm and went on accutane. I had a tough time with blood noses while taking that but it cleared up my acne and I could finally put that chapter of life behind me. I now have a teenage son who is going through the acne struggle. He is the same with antibiotics...they work great while he is taking them but once he stops the acne comes back. We are just starting to consider that he may have to use accutane also to get his skin under control. Good luck with your journey!
Kind regards, Jazzguy

While on the antibiotics were you on a topical treatment as well?

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 03/01/2018 5:16 pm

I had tried topical antibiotics and astringents initially but once going on oral antibiotics didn't have topicals as well. My son has topical adapalene along with his oral antibiotics but I'm fairly confident that the oral antibiotics are all that is necessary to clear up the skin and keep it under control for as long as you remain on them.

MemberMember
(@rick82)

Posted : 03/01/2018 8:18 pm

Hello, I have never been on antibiotics since my acne isn't super bad but I watched many people on Youtube talk about it. They had been on accutane and it seems to work effectively for them although it will take a bit of time.

Maybe people who have had acne success stories can create a free website using the [Removed link]

MemberMember
(@faroutbrusslesprout)

Posted : 03/03/2018 11:33 pm

Hey, I still struggle with this topic, fortunately though Im not breaking out as much atm but Im still left with quite a number of indentation scarring and hyperpigmentation. Im on my 3rd month of prescription accutane 10mg a day. My acne would have been considered moderate to severe and after consulting a dermatologist, we decided to give low dosage accutane a shot. Im only 3 months into a 1 year course so I wouldnt call this a success story just yet, but hopefully my acne wont return *knocks on wood*. Accutane is harsh drug and I would advise to do research before considering this medication. For me personally, being on a low dose of 10mg a day has made it quite tolerable and I dont have as severe side effects as you would with a high dose.

MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 03/04/2018 9:15 pm

21 hours ago, Faroutbrusslesprout said:

Hey, I still struggle with this topic, fortunately though Im not breaking out as much atm but Im still left with quite a number of indentation scarring and hyperpigmentation. Im on my 3rd month of prescription accutane 10mg a day. My acne would have been considered moderate to severe and after consulting a dermatologist, we decided to give low dosage accutane a shot. Im only 3 months into a 1 year course so I wouldnt call this a success story just yet, but hopefully my acne wont return *knocks on wood*. Accutane is harsh drug and I would advise to do research before considering this medication. For me personally, being on a low dose of 10mg a day has made it quite tolerable and I dont have as severe side effects as you would with a high dose.

@Faroutbrusslesprout

what type of side effects are you experiencing? Also, are you a male or female?

i am also considering going on a low dose treatment of accutwne, but i want to hear from other individuals who are currently on it...especially folks who have been on it for years

MemberMember
(@faroutbrusslesprout)

Posted : 03/05/2018 6:49 am

@Ludabubz

Im female, 23 years old. Honestly, the only side effects im experiencing atm is slight dry skin (my skin was prone to dryness before accutane) and slight dry lips. Bare in mind I live in Australia so it has been very hot lately. Would probably experience more dryness if I was in a cooler climate. Fortunately I havent been experiencing any joint pain or other serious side effects.

Ludadubz liked