Notifications
Clear all

Starting taking Isotretinoin. Need advice

MemberMember
(@vicky1984)

Posted : 01/19/2018 9:49 am

Hello Everyone,

I've been suffering from those freaking acne on my upper lips, nose ends and the chin area. I am 33 now and the problem is around 10 year old. I have been getting these white pus, red acne every other 15 days since then but in less numbers, sometimes 1, 2 or 3 but not many but it takes long to make them disappear. I've tried all kind of antibiotics, benzoyl peroxide, etc. etc. without any success. During last year after Christmas I've got flare of acne on my chin area and since then it got worse day by day. at the moment I am again taking antibiotic to calm them and in this process I have been completely hidden in my house. I am a professional but I made some excuse not to come to office in order to avoid facing people. I am so scared to face in this situation.
Yesterday I finally get an appointment with new dermatologist and she asked me to take a course Isotretinoin 20mg/day for 6 month and she told me about its side effects in advance and also asked me to get the blood test done before starting the pills.

Now, since yesterday I've spent around 5-6 hrs online to get the feedback and I am certain that this pill makes some magic but almost every story teller explains the scared part of initial breakout. to be honest I am so so frightened after reading all those stories of IB that I am in dilema whether to take this course or not. the only fear I've is the IB and my profession demands me to be in office and I am scared to face people when this happens.
I would like to know your opinion and how I can hide my IB. Can I grow full beard ? will it help ?

MemberMember
(@plaguevictim)

Posted : 01/19/2018 6:20 pm

Tough situation. I would take the pills. You could also schedule the beginning of the treatment for your vacations so if you do breakout you could just stay at home. That is what I did.

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@vicky1984)

Posted : 01/21/2018 4:27 pm

Thanks @plaguevictim. Unfortunately i cannot take vacation now but yes I have option of working from home time to time. But i am not sure how long this IB will last!
the full beard thing will work ? Or is it necessary to shave when on Isotretinoin?

MemberMember
(@plaguevictim)

Posted : 01/21/2018 9:10 pm

4 hours ago, vicky1984 said:

Thanks @plaguevictim. Unfortunately i cannot take vacation now but yes I have option of working from home time to time. But i am not sure how long this IB will last!
the full beard thing will work ? Or is it necessary to shave when on Isotretinoin?

Well, the derm said nothing about shaving. Maybe it would help for cleaning if you shave, but the medicine works from inside out.