Notifications
Clear all

Silicone Oil

MemberMember
(@littlemecansee)

Posted : 11/14/2017 7:17 pm

Hello

Long time reader, first time poster. I have a combination of dry skin and acne. I don't have oily skin. A friend of mine said I need to buy a bottle of Silicone Oil to put on my skin and it will help my dryness and won't cause acne. I really find this hard to believe. He even suggested that I buy this product

[Hach 126936 Silicone Oil]

I really find this hard to believe. Wouldn't the oil clog my pores and make my acne worse?

Any thoughts?

Thank You

MemberMember
(@littlemecansee)

Posted : 11/14/2017 7:38 pm

so this won't clog my pores?

MemberMember
(@tania-crowe)

Posted : 11/15/2017 12:10 am

Silicone is not bad for the skin. The molecules in Dimethicone are too large to penetrate into the skin layers and only sit on top of the skin. By having this silicone layer on top of the skin, the skin moisture is prevented from escaping, thus helping keep the skin moisturized.

On the other side of the fence are the detractors who say that silicones are in fact bad for the skin. Because the silicone sits in a layer on top of the skin keeping in moisture, it also keeps in any sebum, dirt, and bacteria that may already be on the skin. Once the skin is irritated, it will breakout. So, it is common to hear people say that silicones in products break them out.