Long term low dose ...

Notifications
Clear all

Long term low dose isotretinoin (accutane)

MemberMember
(@pumpercrib)

Posted : 11/09/2017 6:07 am

I have posted about this a few times on this site but never my own thread about it.
I am now almost 29 and have had stubborn cystic acne since about 14/15. Before i took my first course of roaccutane when i was 18, my life was a mess. Acne had well and truly ruined my life as I'm sure a lot of you can relate. The roaccutane completely cleared me however my acne came back after a year or so and so ended up going on another course of roaccutane.
Again my skin stayed clear for aroud a year but once again acne came back with a vengeance and I had to go on another full course of roaccutane (around 60mg/day).
The problem is I know every time I come off Accutane my acne will eventually return. I am quite an anxious person (this started back as a teenager caused by my awful skin) and so as soon as I get a small cyst I freak out which causes my skin to get worse and worse until the acne is back and so I decided to take matters into my own hands after my third 'full round' of Accutane. I was sick of the cycle of just waiting till my acne returned and I became a mental wreck then eventually get given another full course of roaccutane.
I decided to start a low dose, long term regime on roaccutane. I started on 10mg/day then moved down to 10mg every second day, now I am on around 20-30mg a week. It has been about 4 years on my low dose regime and it has honesty been the best 4 years of my life. The only real side effect I have noticed is the dry lips, and if I get cut it does take longer for the wound to heal. Also if I do get the odd cysts (probably about 4 in the 4 years iv been taking it) it can take a while to completely heal. I do hope one day I can stop completely but in terms of my skin and my my mental health I guess I am slightly scared of ever stopping.
Just wanted to share my story on my own thread and want to know if anyone else has had experience on long term low dose isotretinoin? Or if you have any questions for me? And don't bother if you want to just hate on what I'm doing, it's my own body and every body is different. Just make sure you get your bloods checked now and then if on this regime.

MemberMember
(@turko)

Posted : 11/09/2017 7:23 am

hey,

I've done a total of 5 treatments with Isotretinoin (Accutane) since 2008 and just like you, during these 5 times my skin was completely clean and perfect, but after a few months they always came back. My last attempt was last year (ended in March).I have been reading many people reporting prolonged use of a lower dose of Isotretinoin in this forum, and it seems that they all have great success.

My questions are, if there are real health risks taking this drug for a great deal of time? Did your dermatologist report anything?

I read that many people had problems with hair loss due to vitamin A, did you have this problem?

How often do you have blood tests, and if there are any changes in liver and cholesterol functions?

MemberMember
(@pumpercrib)

Posted : 11/09/2017 8:19 am

36 minutes ago, Turko said:

hey,

I've done a total of 5 treatments with Isotretinoin (Accutane) since 2008 and just like you, during these 5 times my skin was completely clean and perfect, but after a few months they always came back. My last attempt was last year (ended in March).I have been reading many people reporting prolonged use of a lower dose of Isotretinoin in this forum, and it seems that they all have great success.

My questions are, if there are real health risks taking this drug for a great deal of time? Did your dermatologist report anything?

I read that many people had problems with hair loss due to vitamin A, did you have this problem?

How often do you have blood tests, and if there are any changes in liver and cholesterol functions?

hey, 5 full treatments is a lot! I have had great success with my long term low dose and the way I look at it, if I hadn't went onto a low dose regime and ended up taking another round of 'high dose treatment' I would have been taking 60 or 80mg every day for around 5-6 months, where as now I am only taking 20/30mg a week with the same results. I would have to be on my low dose for around 7-8 years to even come close to a 'full high dose' round of Accutane!
I have researched it a lot as well and it seems a lot of people are trying this 'low maintenance' dose of accutane after they have tried a full dose course and have a high relapse rate.
There are obviously health risks with any prescribed drug but at such a low dose the health risks are lower. I myself have been on low dose for around 4 years and so far have been fine. My quality of life has improved so much on this regime though that it has definitely been worth any low risks for me. I do get bouts of anxiety sometimes but I had this before I ever went on roaccutane so I can't say they are linked. I have never had any issue with hair lose.
I would try get bloods taken every few months and I try to live a healthy lifestyle so I have been fine. Again with such a low dose the risks of these kind of problems are a lot lower. I would consult your doctor about a low dose regime, especially if your acne has relapsed 4 times! Seems like a low maintenance dose might work for you.

MemberMember
(@turko)

Posted : 11/09/2017 10:34 am

2 hours ago, Pumpercrib said:
hey, 5 full treatments is a lot! I have had great success with my long term low dose and the way I look at it, if I hadn't went onto a low dose regime and ended up taking another round of 'high dose treatment' I would have been taking 60 or 80mg every day for around 5-6 months, where as now I am only taking 20/30mg a week with the same results. I would have to be on my low dose for around 7-8 years to even come close to a 'full high dose' round of Accutane!
I have researched it a lot as well and it seems a lot of people are trying this 'low maintenance' dose of accutane after they have tried a full dose course and have a high relapse rate.
There are obviously health risks with any prescribed drug but at such a low dose the health risks are lower. I myself have been on low dose for around 4 years and so far have been fine. My quality of life has improved so much on this regime though that it has definitely been worth any low risks for me. I do get bouts of anxiety sometimes but I had this before I ever went on roaccutane so I can't say they are linked. I have never had any issue with hair lose.
I would try get bloods taken every few months and I try to live a healthy lifestyle so I have been fine. Again with such a low dose the risks of these kind of problems are a lot lower. I would consult your doctor about a low dose regime, especially if your acne has relapsed 4 times! Seems like a low maintenance dose might work for you.

Thanks for replying i appreciate.

Yeah,I have been thinking seriously about this in the last few days, because everything I have tried after Accutane doesn't bring me satisfactory results. At the moment I'm trying azelaic acid for at least a couple of weeks, I noticed a slight improvement, but nothing so significant.

My acne is neither severe nor cystic, but it bothers me a lot and I also have problems with ingrown hairs, and Accutane helped me in that too. I will wait until the end of the month using the acid, and if nothing changes, I will propose this treatment to my dermatologist.Thank you very much for answering!

MemberMember
(@hospitalbum)

Posted : 01/30/2018 12:11 pm

Hi guys,

I've also been a longtime sufferer of cystic acne vulgaris since my middle school days and currently 28.

Initially I developed lesions on my face/neck/back --> eventually to just face --> now face + back. In between, i've taken 2 cycles of accutane (the 2nd of which one derm said she wouldn't even consider it a full course). My acne has come back on my face and back now, but milder since I think the effects of the previous accutane cycle are still in play. As a result, my derm has only been prescribing me with antibiotics, which I know is a very temporary fix, especially if I get off of it. He said he will only put me on it if I wait without any medications for it to return to its original severity. What kind of bullsh*t is that? I completely sympathize with the idea that this whole game is a cycle of being clear then terrible then clear then terrible.

My only concern right now is that I don't think there is a derm right now with my mild acne to place me on accutane and at a low-dose. I live in NY, and I believe derms overseas are more open to these types of approaches. Does anyone have any ideas how I may be able to get in touch with someone like this?

@pumperkrib - how did your discussion go with your derm to start the low-dose? Was it something your derm suggested? My current derm is old-school and seems like a hard ass about this. He was the derm that originally prescribed a regimen that did not meet the cumulative criteria that dictates a full course. Do you think I should find a new derm?

I think this low-dose strategy is for me...

Thanks a lot!

MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 03/04/2018 10:03 pm

Anyone who has been on a low dose long term accutane regimen, please respond to this post with your experiences. I am seriously thinking about going on a course like this and would like to hear from others.