Notifications
Clear all

Accutane dose too low?

MemberMember
(@sab1234)

Posted : 09/15/2017 1:59 am

I've been on 10mg of accutane once a day for about 5ish weeks now. I have moderate acne w/ cystic bumps and pretty dark scarring. It cleared up in a week but after the second week it started coming back but I assumed it was purging (also is purging legit? or a myth?) because all my blackheads in my nose and on my cheeks and chin began pushing out. My hair stopped being extremely greasy and my nose was smooth but now my hair is getting greasy again and I'm getting more pimples again. Am I purging again? Also, another thing is i'm not sure if my doctor is prescribing it correctly. I understand that he's a professional but he's putting me on 10mg a day for 5 weeks and then 10 mg every other day after for a month and then taking me off. From my personal research that seems way to low to be able to make a permanent change and all my friends who have gone through the accutane have done at least 40mg a day for around a year or so. He also isn't doing blood tests or anything and prescribed it without questioning after I suggested it which is a little concerning in hindsight. Should I ask him to raise my dosage the next time? or should I listen to him because he's a professional and wait it out?

Thanks guys!!

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 09/16/2017 11:40 pm

I have been on 10mg for 4 months now. I am on a long term low dose regime, ordered by my dermatoligist. Apparently, recent studies have suggested that a low dose could just as be as effective as a higher dose for low level, persistent acne. I am also 33. I was sceptical at first about such a low dose, but it seems to be going well so far and minimal side effects at the lower doses.

Any questions and ask your dermatologist.