Notifications
Clear all

Bad enough for Accutane?

MemberMember
(@lawrence1)

Posted : 08/07/2017 2:47 pm

Hey guys,

So I've been dealing with acne on my upper body for the past year or so, and the most frustrating part of it has been on my back. Even while treating pretty diligently with benzoyl peroxide washes and gels for the last few months, I still get a couple of huge cysts on my back every week, usually on the sides of my back, as well as smaller pimples. Some weeks are better than others, but I know I'll always get a cyst again at some point, even if I'm clear for a few days. I know that cystic acne is best treated with accutane, but the thought of going on it freaks me out. I've been able to clear my chest and face with benzoyl peroxide, and my shoulders are kind of improved. I have digestive issues, so I can't take antibiotics.

My back doesn't look terrible from a distance, but all the cysts leave raised red bumps that never really go away. I have some from almost a year ago. I just don't want my back to be so scarred. I'm 20 and I know for a fact that it's hormonal acne, do you think I'll grow out of it in a few years? Or will I need accutane to stop the cysts?

MemberMember
(@spicyotter)

Posted : 08/08/2017 3:41 am

My brother had back acne really terrible in his late teens and early twenties, he would get full blown gigantic cysts on his back, and after a couple years of dealing with it, it just went away on its own. I don't know if that is what will happen to you, but seeing as you are 20 it is possible that it will go away with time. Have you tried making dietary changes? I would try some natural approaches before considering accutane. And you said that you have digestive issues, just wanted to mention that a girl who I'm friends with who took accutane was diagnosed with IBS a couple months after finishing her course, and she and her doctor believe it was from the accutane. If you do decide to take accutane in the future make sure you are aware of the long term side effects that could potentially happen.

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 08/08/2017 4:04 am

Agree with Spicyotter. Accutane is last resort medicine. You don't sound desperate, the worst is on your back not your face and you have stomach issues. You may well grow out of it as you say. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@lawrence1)

Posted : 08/08/2017 12:41 pm

I have noticed that eating a large amount of chocolate seems to give me cysts. A couple of days ago I splurged, after not doing so for a while, and since that day I've had like 20 blemishes form on my body, 3 of those being cysts. I am worried about my face potentially getting worse and becoming unresponsive to my treatment though, which is the acne.org regimen. It seems that my entire body breaks out like all at once every so often, and then I'll go through a small period of time where I'm doing really well. Is cystic acne really all that responsive though to things my dermatologist can give me, like topical antibiotics or a retinoid? I just don't wanna waste too much time scarring and not seeing improvement. But yeah, accutane is not something I'm mentally ready for, I guess.

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 08/08/2017 4:46 pm

Of course avoiding scarring if you can by early treatment is a good idea I think. You have nothing to lose by discussing accutane in more detail with your derm for now or the future. As you say , accutane is recommended for cystic acne. Good luck whatever you decide.