Notifications
Clear all

Low dose isotretinoin against very oily skin

MemberMember
(@grizou78)

Posted : 07/14/2017 8:24 am

Hello everybody,

Firstly i apologize for my bad english because it's not my language.

I'm a man, 29 years old and i have a extremely very very ......oily skin.
Many of you will recognize, after wah my face maybe 20 30 minutes sebum makes it appaerance on my face and i am obliged to dab my face several times a day with a tissue for exemple.
Psychologically it's using, it's hard to live...

I try several things like oil jojoba drink water retinoids (differine, locacid)...but not improvements

And i decide to consult an another dermatolgist and there is one to propose to me as a treatment a low dose of isotretinoin.
After having researched testimonies on internet i decided to accept the treatment after the blood test.

My derm propose to me to start low dose isotretinoin with 20mg a week ( one pill of 20mg monday)
I see thederm about a month and half after and bad news not improvements, the face is always oily

so the derm decides to increase the dose to 40mg a week (one pill 20mg monday and one pill 20mg thursday)
I started taking 2 pills from 10 days but for the moment always oily

I know you have to be patient but i really want to see results.
i have seen that some people take 10mg a day, other 20mg a week...... each is different it is necessary to find the right dosage
I hope it will good for me

after how long the medication is taking effects ?

Please do not hesitate to share your experiences and i will keep you informed of developments

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 08/01/2017 12:17 pm

Accutane builds up in your system gradually, and you are on a very very low dose, so it will take a long time.

MemberMember
(@grizou78)

Posted : 09/27/2017 12:04 pm

Hi everybody

I give news.
About 4 weeks after having started the treatment at 40 mg a week i felt it was less little oily but still oily.
I must always have a handerkierchef in my pocket.

Maybe my dermatologist Will offer me to go on 60mg a week.
i see monday

I hope
Isotretinoin is the last option

MemberMember
(@grizou78)

Posted : 07/01/2018 10:03 am

Hi everybody

Almost One year after i give news.

my doctor prescribe 20mg * 3 Times a week(monday/wednesday/friday) so 60mg a week during fews month.

during this moment not probleme, my skin is very good. WONDERFUL AMAZING

And in february he decreases to 20mg * 2 Times a week ( monday/thursday) so 40mg a week

During this periode my skin was good but i felt oil a little

And in month may the dermatologist decreases to 20mg 1 time a week (monday) si 20mg a week.

My oily skin Comes back.
more than a 40mg a week.

Effectively an hour and a half later I have to wipe my face.

but it must also be said that it is very hot where I live in europe.

in conclusion I can not hold the day without wiping my face

I see the dermatologist after summer

I'm doing some research on the net about new sebum-reducing drugs and i found new drugs un clinical trials

1) SB204 of Novan therapeutics
2) WINLEVI of Cassiopea
3) ASC-J9 of ANDROSCIENCE

did anyone hear about it?

MemberMember
(@grizou78)

Posted : 07/22/2018 9:37 am

Hi everybody

I confirm that my oily skin comes back even with 20mg of isotretinine per week.

Conclusion 20mg per week is not enough for me

MemberMember
(@plaguevictim)

Posted : 07/26/2018 11:07 pm

On 22/07/2018 at 11:37 AM, Grizou78 said:

Hi everybody

I confirm that my oily skin comes back even with 20mg of isotretinine per week.

Conclusion 20mg per week is not enough for me

20mg per week? My 40mg/day course seems more hardcore now '-' Well, my very very... very oily skin went dry in just a couple months :) 

MemberMember
(@grizou78)

Posted : 07/27/2018 12:29 pm

Hi @plaguevictim

yes I take a pill of 20 mg a week
because my dermatologist wants me to take the lowest possible dose.

I have no acne, but excessively oily skin so 40mg per day would be much too much for me and the duration of treatments would be very short too.

do you have acne or just oily skin without acne?

when there is a change in dosage I notice a change after about 4 weeks.

but at 60mg a week my skin was just perfect as happiness

MemberMember
(@jykhaw)

Posted : 07/28/2018 10:48 pm

Hi Grizou, we are in similar situation.

I am a 30 year old male, very mild acne but big facial pores with a lot of oil production. I too, cannot go through 2 - 3 hours during the day without having to wash or wipe my face. I literally can feel the oil oozing out of my face. It has really affected my confidence and sometimes I feel reluctant to go out because of this.

I live in Australia and saw a dermatologist in early 2017, after having done a lot of research on low dose accutane. He refused to prescibe accutane due to the lack of acne, and instead put me on 0.05% retinol cream. All it did was make my skin flaky and oily at the same time. So I stopped it after two months (still use it occasionally for spot treatment).

In March 2017, I was on a business project in the Philippines, so I went to a dermatologist there. After the required blood test, he prescribed me with 4 boxes of 10mg accutane (120 pills altogether), and basically very trusting to let me experiment with the dosage myself to reduce my oil production to my desired level. I started with 10mg a day for one week, reduced it to 10mg every two days, then 10mg every four days, then 10mg every week until January 2018 when all the pills are finished.

I find that 10mg every two days work the best for me - I can go through the entire day without worrying about my oil. However, I could not keep that dosage because I am not in the Philippines anymore, so I had to stretch out the 120 pills to as long as I could. Towards the end (10mg per week), my oil came back but not as bad as before.

Now that I have stopped accutane completely for 6 months, my oil is back full force. I am trying to see a dermatologist in Australia that is able to put me on low dose accutane.

Does your dermatologist say if you can be on low dose accutane for long term?

MemberMember
(@grizou78)

Posted : 07/30/2018 1:00 am

Hi @jykhaw

Filipino dermatologists are very friendly. you're lucky to still have a slight effect with 10mg per
week, this is unfortunately not my case.

the perfect dose was 60 mg per week.
taking 40 mg per week I am forced to absorb the excess of sebul every 4 hours or so.

I totally agree with you that we do not want to go out anymore, it brings about a withdrawal, a lack of confidence.

for the answer to your question: I have no idea what the dermatologist wants to do.
all I can say is that he wanted me to take the lowest dose possible.

but that does not work with 20mg a week.
ou peut etre un tres leger effet mais quand vous etes oblige de vous essuyer le visage toutes les heures cela ne sert pas a grand chose.

and for the duration of the treatment? I do not know but to be honest I think he wants to stop.
I see the dermatologist at the beginning of October.

MemberMember
(@jykhaw)

Posted : 08/10/2018 9:45 pm

Hi @Grizou78

Are you from France? Bonne chance with your October appointment :)

I just visited a new dermatologist. He is very open-minded. He told me my previous dosage is too low to have any long lasting effect, the body needs to accumulate enough dosage to have the skin changed permanently. He is prepared to put me on accutane for 9 months to 1 year, starting with 10mg per day for at least a few months, and then gradually reducing the dosage. The only annoying part is I have to do blood test and see him every 6 weeks, which costs $220 each visit (I then get $ 70 back from Medicare), not including the accutane.

He hope this will lead me to oil free skin for at least 5 to 10 years.

I am happy to have found him and hopefully will cure my oily face for good.

MemberMember
(@grizou78)

Posted : 08/12/2018 3:08 am

Hi @jykhaw.

Yes I am french. 
you are the second person to ask me the question. ;)

you were lucky to find this dermatologist.
hoping that this dosage of the drug will make you cure oily skin.
I wait patiently for my October appointment.
but in France it is very hot at the moment and the oily skin comes back very quickly.
I plan to test vitamin B5 or anticipate and go see a another dermatologist.
I hesitated because I think the doctor wants to stop the drug while it is for the moment the only thing that works.
but the price is exorbitant I think but I prefer to have a normal or almost normal skin than buying movies or anything else.

I would like to have complete blood tests because my mother has thyroid disease and I may also be affected. may be that a dysfunction of the throide could explain this on activity of the sebaceous glands
I seek explanations because it is not possible to accept this incredibly oily skin after 30 or 45 minutes.

MemberMember
(@jykhaw)

Posted : 08/12/2018 4:37 am

@Grizou78 I love Europe and I am planning to move there next year. Maybe Spain first. I am learning Spanish now :)

I agree accutane is the only thing that works. I have only been on it for two days ( two 10mg pills) and it is already working. This morning I woke up without oil on my face, first time in a long time.

I tried vitamin B5 before but the dosage has to be very large to have any effect (I don't remember the exact dosage but it was about 10 pills a day). While I was on it, I always have headache and I lost a lot of hair, so I stopped. Maybe you will have better luck with it.

I completely understand your pain. Been through the same thing for many years. I always have oil blotting sheets or wet tissues with me when I am outside for more than 4 hours. Hopefully no more of this for me

Good idea to have a blood test done. All the best to you.

MemberMember
(@grizou78)

Posted : 08/19/2018 1:20 am

Thanks

Good luck

MemberMember
(@krackkid)

Posted : 09/09/2018 2:16 am

I love how you came back after a year to post. Im on day 5 of my accutane, im at 40MG a day.

Goodluck!

MemberMember
(@grizou78)

Posted : 09/10/2018 6:36 am

Hi @Krackkid

sorry for the delay, I wanted to give news before but when you feel very good you do not think about anything anymore and I wanted to enjoy life.

You are at 40mg a day just for oily skin ?

or maybe you have acne in addition to oily skin.

Good luck too

MemberMember
(@krackkid)

Posted : 09/10/2018 7:38 am

1 hour ago, Grizou78 said:

Hi @Krackkid

sorry for the delay, I wanted to give news before but when you feel very good you do not think about anything anymore and I wanted to enjoy life.

You are at 40mg a day just for oily skin ?

or maybe you have acne in addition to oily skin.

Good luck too

No because of my acne.i got the ib right now. It's pretty bad.

MemberMember
(@anailencatkawaiigmail-com)

Posted : 07/10/2022 4:56 pm

Hey everyone. I'm also suffering with this problem and i want to share with you my experience. I'm taking isotretionin 60 mg a week and my multiple oily skin have gotten very better. Now my skin feels quite normal.

Unfortunately isotretionin is the only medicine that actually helps this situation (for a man)

In a low dosage this medicine is pretty much safe. Your liver functions is not going to be injured.

In a Low dosage is very safe. (For men not for women because the pregnancy)

And if the price is too much for you, you can buy this medicine in a shape of a generic medicine.

I order 200 capsules of isotretionin with only 80 dollars including shipment and i make a blood test two times an year. (It might be enough)

I suggest to do a stop sometimes for few weeks to let your liver clean up. (Just for safety)

(This is my point of view and by my experience)