Notifications
Clear all

Does anyone think I will be prescribed accutane? Pictures inserted

MemberMember
(@girlgirl365)

Posted : 06/24/2017 1:12 pm

I have had acne for over 10 years.. It may not be as severe as some people but it is constant and very very difficult to get rid of. I have tried every treatment you can think of including tons and tons of skin care products, oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics, multiple birth control (im on yaz right now my skin cleared for about a month then went back to how it was) Dans regimen, BP, african black soap, tons of vitamins and herbs including: zinc, vitamin a, vitamin d, saw palmetto, fish oil etc.. plus many more treatments. I get tons of little pimples and then large cystic pimples that hurt and take months to go away (I always have at least 1 or 2 on my face) as well as inflamed pustules and I always have hyper pigmentation and indentation scarring on my face at all times. This is taking a toll on me, I feel as though I have tried everything and there is nothing left for me except accutane. Does anyone have any suggestions based off of the pictures below? This is my skin when my most recent flare up has started to subside. Those red marks were all very inflamed and cystic spots. IMG_4662.JPG 
IMG_4667.JPG

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 06/24/2017 4:57 pm

I reckon its an option for you. Have you spoken to a dermatologist. My derm says its best to try differin or epiduo before accutane. Differin is pretty much accutane in a cream version without the side effects.

Ps- my acne seems similar to yours.

MemberMember
(@girlgirl365)

Posted : 06/24/2017 5:10 pm

11 minutes ago, Rachie39 said:

I reckon its an option for you. Have you spoken to a dermatologist. My derm says its best to try differin or epiduo before accutane. Differin is pretty much accutane in a cream version without the side effects.

Ps- my acne seems similar to yours.

I've tried epiduo before, my skin doesn't usually react well to benzoyl peroxide :( Never tried Differin though!

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 06/24/2017 5:37 pm

24 minutes ago, girlgirl365 said:
I've tried epiduo before, my skin doesn't usually react well to benzoyl peroxide :( Never tried Differin though!

yes my skin reacted badly to epiduo too but now my derm has me on differin and i can handle it well! My skin is super sensitive but this works. Just make sure to use a good moisturiser 15-20 mins before. Its defiantly worth asking a derm or your dr for a script. Its expensive but its worth it. Differin is just epiduo without the benzoyl peroxide.

MemberMember
(@girlgirl365)

Posted : 06/24/2017 6:05 pm

26 minutes ago, Rachie39 said:
54 minutes ago, girlgirl365 said:

yes my skin reacted badly to epiduo too but now my derm has me on differin and i can handle it well! My skin is super sensitive but this works. Just make sure to use a good moisturiser 15-20 mins before. Its defiantly worth asking a derm or your dr for a script. Its expensive but its worth it. Differin is just epiduo without the benzoyl peroxide.

Hmm I will definitely look into it! Thanks for the tip :) My biggest issue is that I love to travel and I really want to go travelling for months at a time but I don't want to have to worry about being so extensive with my skin care and carrying around so much products thats why I've gotten to the point of no return where I want to just go on accutane and get it all over with. but I'm also scared that the acne could come back after accutane as well. 

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 06/24/2017 6:14 pm

2 minutes ago, girlgirl365 said:
Hmm I will definitely look into it! Thanks for the tip :) My biggest issue is that I love to travel and I really want to go travelling for months at a time but I don't want to have to worry about being so extensive with my skin care and carrying around so much products thats why I've gotten to the point of no return where I want to just go on accutane and get it all over with. but I'm also scared that the acne could come back after accutane as well. 

yeah I understand that, wanting to travel but without the hassle of skin care. Mine is basic though. Morning, wash, moisturiser then sunscreen. Night, wash, moisturiser then differin. Thats it. But there is the waiting 15-20 between moisturiser and differin but thats all. Accutane is an option ( a really risky one) but you will also need to still wash and definitely moisturise, and you may need to moisturise even more than twice a day depending on how dry you get while on accutane. So i reckon it is better and safer to be on differin because there is a chance that if you go on accutane you will need to go on it again if your acne comes back.

MemberMember
(@girlgirl365)

Posted : 06/24/2017 6:39 pm

22 minutes ago, Rachie39 said:
31 minutes ago, girlgirl365 said:

yeah I understand that, wanting to travel but without the hassle of skin care. Mine is basic though. Morning, wash, moisturiser then sunscreen. Night, wash, moisturiser then differin. Thats it. But there is the waiting 15-20 between moisturiser and differin but thats all. Accutane is an option ( a really risky one) but you will also need to still wash and definitely moisturise, and you may need to moisturise even more than twice a day depending on how dry you get while on accutane. So i reckon it is better and safer to be on differin because there is a chance that if you go on accutane you will need to go on it again if your acne comes back.

Yes all I do right now is wash, tone moisturize. if I go on Differin though won't I basically need to go on it forever? it's like Bp in that sense that as soon as you stop using it your acne will come back again. That's the same issue I had with Bp. I used it for a year and a half and my skin was so red and dehydrated the ENTIRE time and then when I came off of it, I started breaking out in the little skin bumps again. 

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 06/24/2017 6:58 pm

Yeah I think that until the reason your getting acne is sorted out, you will need a skin care routine. I know it sucks. I wish it was as simple as just doing something to get rid of the acne and then stop the product. I know accutane can do this, but its not 100% guaranteed and you will still need some kinda daily routine for cleaning etc. Most people who get acne arent lucky enough to be able to go to bed without a routine.

MemberMember
(@girlgirl365)

Posted : 06/24/2017 7:00 pm

Just now, Rachie39 said:

Yeah I think that until the reason your getting acne is sorted out, you will need a skin care routine. I know it sucks. I wish it was as simple as just doing something to get rid of the acne and then stop the product. I know accutane can do this, but its not 100% guaranteed and you will still need some kinda daily routine for cleaning etc. Most people who get acne arent lucky enough to be able to go to bed without a routine.

I've always had a skin care routine and always will have a skin care routine, acne or not. that's not what I'm worried about! I just don't want to have to rely on one product for the rest of my life on whether its clearing my acne or not. It's basically a bandaid.

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 06/24/2017 7:17 pm

Ok. Im just trying to help.

I know its like a bandaid, I know its frustrating. I know it sucks. Give accutane a chance then. You maybe one of the lucky ones who takes it for how ever many months, gets clear skin and then is done with acne.