Notifications
Clear all

Clear skin

MemberMember
(@undividedmind)

Posted : 06/11/2017 4:16 pm

Hi guys. I've been meaning to post on here for ages, and will hopefully get around to doing before and after photos, but for the first time since I was about 13, I've got clear skin!!

I started accutane on the 21st January. I had previously given up dairy, which worked for a few months and then the spots returned. It took a good few months into Accutane for me to see a big difference, with some AWFUL breakouts in between. I started with a month on 20mg, then continued with 40mg. Side effects I had were dryness and super chapped lips, but nothing worse than that- I can recommend products for dryness because that's no longer an issue for me. Having a cold was horrendous, and I got some pretty nasty sunburn when I forgot how delicate my skin was. My derm. didn't give me any blood tests (just pregnancy tests)- I'm not sure if that's unusual and it has worried me a little, but to be honest, I'm just so relieved that they let me on accutane that I didn't question it.

The reason I'm posting is really just because my friends don't get what it's like to have this thing that was hanging over me for years suddenly gone. It meant I didn't get with guys I liked, or go to parties, or take my make up off... Having spots affected so many decisions in my life, and I don't think I had considered how wonderful it would feel to get up in the morning and get ready in ten minutes, or to feel comfortable without make up on in front of other people. I remember this real feeling of being a fraud- that I looked okay with make up on, but that it wasn't how I really looked. I know it's ridiculous, because I know plenty of beautiful people with spots and it doesn't affect my view of them at all, but it did affect my view of myself.

I just wondered how other people felt after Accutane, and whether that strange feeling goes away...

MemberMember
(@yuvraj)

Posted : 06/12/2017 5:00 am

Hey! first of all congratulations that accutane worked for you. You said you were on 20mg for the first month and then 40mg. How long were you on acctuane? I totally understand how good it feels to get ready without makeup and have the clear skin. I was on accutane two times (but both the times I left it after my skin cleared. My derm told me to continue for 6 months but I left in 3 or 4 months both the time) the only side effects I had was dry skin, lips and flakiness. But it did work wonders. Sadly, My acne returned after stopping accutane. I remember it returned after six months. I hope you stay clear forever.

MemberMember
(@undividedmind)

Posted : 06/19/2017 4:35 pm

On 6/12/2017 at 11:00 AM, yuvraj said:

Hey! first of all congratulations that accutane worked for you. You said you were on 20mg for the first month and then 40mg. How long were you on acctuane? I totally understand how good it feels to get ready without makeup and have the clear skin. I was on accutane two times (but both the times I left it after my skin cleared. My derm told me to continue for 6 months but I left in 3 or 4 months both the time) the only side effects I had was dry skin, lips and flakiness. But it did work wonders. Sadly, My acne returned after stopping accutane. I remember it returned after six months. I hope you stay clear forever.

Hey! Sorry this is so late- I didn't see you'd replied. I've been on accutane for 5 months now, and am completing my sixth month. I think dry lips and sunburn have been my worst side effects- I did not realise how serious I would need to be about sunscreen, went crazy the first time the UK saw sun, and had such a bad burn it took over a week to heal.

It coming back is something I am quite worried about- I'm finally going travelling after years of wanting to because I feel comfortable enough to, so let's hope it lasts 'til then!

Do you think you'll try accutane a third time? How come you threw in the towel? Although with the current state of my lips, I completely understand that choice!