Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OllieWickens

Is this normal? Accutane...

Hey! 

So, I've been on accutane now for almost 10 months - which is longer than I expected, actually. 

Anyway, my skin has drastically improved - thank god! Whereas before my face, legs and back were all covered in acne... they're all pretty clear now. 

The problem I have is that I do still get spots. Admittedly, I wouldn't call it acne - but I do still get the odd spot at least maybe twice a week? It could be on my chin, on the side of my face... anywhere really. Sometimes it will be yellow but only for one day. 

I drink a LOT of water and have a fairly good diet. 

So, are these spots normal? Is this expexted? When people say they're totally clear, do they still get these 'normal' spots? I really don't know whether or not I should come off the tablet if this is still happening. It's certainly not acne as we think of it, though.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has on here... I don't want to come off the medication too early and have these past ten months be jeopardised. 

In short, is it a given that post accutane users will still get these small spots? Or should I keep going? 8 months of the 10 I've been on 80mg per day by the way, and I'm around 75kg. 20mg first month and 40mg the second. 

Thank you!

Edited by OllieWickens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You didn't mention the dose that you're taking, which is crucial, but the consensus is that you should continue to take it until you reach the planned cumulative dose for your weight.

Since you've been taking it for 10 months and have little side effects, I understand that you're taking a low dose, which should be manageable and safe. I took 10mg for almost 2 years and my skin was mostly clear, although I still had fairly oily skin and occasional pimples. So, I think you do not need to worry about this too much. You could try using some mild topical to help any imperfections heal faster.

I've finished my course almost two months ago and a lot of oil has already returned, along with acne. So, you should be more worried about what happens after you finish Accutane, than some odd pimples during treatment. However, finishing a proper course should definitely increase your chances of having clear skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mateus560276 said:

You didn't mention the dose that you're taking, which is crucial, but the consensus is that you should continue to take it until you reach the planned cumulative dose for your weight.

Since you've been taking it for 10 months and have little side effects, I understand that you're taking a low dose, which should be manageable and safe. I took 10mg for almost 2 years and my skin was mostly clear, although I still had fairly oily skin and occasional pimples. So, I think you do not need to worry about this too much. You could try using some mild topical to help any imperfections heal faster.

I've finished my course almost two months ago and a lot of oil has already returned, along with acne. So, you should be more worried about what happens after you finish Accutane, than some odd pimples during treatment. However, finishing a proper course should definitely increase your chances of having clear skin.


Oooops - kinda pivotal, yeah! Sorry.

For the past 8 months, I have been on 80mg per day; the first month 20mg; and the second 40mg.

My culminative dose was reached but my deem kept me on because he was operating on the basis of any new spot = renewal of pescription. Obviously a worries me when I get these small spots every week.



  Edited by OllieWickens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OllieWickens said:

Hey! 

So, I've been on accutane now for almost 10 months - which is longer than I expected, actually. 

Anyway, my skin has drastically improved - thank god! Whereas before my face, legs and back were all covered in acne... they're all pretty clear now. 

The problem I have is that I do still get spots. Admittedly, I wouldn't call it acne - but I do still get the odd spot at least maybe twice a week? It could be on my chin, on the side of my face... anywhere really. Sometimes it will be yellow but only for one day. 

I drink a LOT of water and have a fairly good diet. 

So, are these spots normal? Is this expexted? When people say they're totally clear, do they still get these 'normal' spots? I really don't know whether or not I should come off the tablet if this is still happening. It's certainly not acne as we think of it, though.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has on here... I don't want to come off the medication too early and have these past ten months be jeopardised. 

In short, is it a given that post accutane users will still get these small spots? Or should I keep going? 8 months of the 10 I've been on 80mg per day by the way, and I'm around 75kg. 20mg first month and 40mg the second. 

Thank you!

Where are you from?  - your dose cannot be right!
No dermatologist should be allowing you to be on accutane at that dosage for that duration.
What have your side effects been?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hatetane said:
Where are you from?  - your dose cannot be right!
No dermatologist should be allowing you to be on accutane at that dosage for that duration.
What have your side effects been?

God, really? That's worrying. How has this been allowed to happen?

I live in England. I am 19 years old, 70ish kg. 

I have just checked my dates and I actually started taking accutane on the 18th July. We are talking nine months in total and seven/six and a half on 80mg. 

Side effects... surprisingly fine. Dry lips and dry skin has been the most common side effect. I have had some blurred vision and dizziness, though. Achy joints, too. Everything is manageable though. 
  Edited by OllieWickens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, OllieWickens said:

God, really? That's worrying. How has this been allowed to happen?

I live in England. I am 19 years old, 70ish kg. 

I have just checked my dates and I actually started taking accutane on the 18th July. We are talking nine months in total and seven/six and a half on 80mg. 

Side effects... surprisingly fine. Dry lips and dry skin has been the most common side effect. I have had some blurred vision and dizziness, though. Achy joints, too. Everything is manageable though. 
 
Well I am not a doctor but i know your dosage is way to high. Try and figure out your cumulative dose. Your dermatologist's secretary should be able to tell you this or the guys on 'repairing long term side effects from accutane' might help you out if you post your dosage and duration.
You need to be asking questions. accutane can seriously damage your long term health. Edited by hatetane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, there has to be some miscalculation somewhere, A typical dose, as far as I know, is between 120mg and 160mg per kg, so for 70kg that would be around 12.600mg using 180mg/kg, which is the maximum I've heard of. So far you have taken over 15.000mg, which is certainly strange, especially if this was suggested to you by a doctor. As far as I know, there is no benefit in taking more than the standard dosages I've mentioned above.

Even if you have no remarkable side-effects, I think having some blood work done will be useful, to ensure that your health is okay. It is the most important thing. When I was on a low dose of Roaccutane, I got my blood checked every 2-3 months.

As for your first question, I think that even on Accutane it's not unusual to get some spots. We all hope that Accutane has lasting effects on (decreased) oil production and overall health of the skin, but being 100% clean might be a little unrealistic. However, since you're taking an unusual dose, my knowledge may not apply. I am sure other people will be able to help. It might also be worthwhile seeing another doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×