Notifications
Clear all

Treatment post-acne... Benzoyl/salicyclic/glycolic??

MemberMember
(@holllll24)

Posted : 01/20/2017 7:43 am

Hey all,

I am new here because I am so lost as to what to do now with my skin... I have had "pimples" and EXTREMELY oily skin since I was 11 (it was never acne, just the one/two papules every time I woke up). I tried everything over-the-counter and everything the doctor would give me: nothing! However, it only got bad about 10/11 months ago where it became full-blown cystic (I am now 22). I went back to the doctor and he gave me Epiduo which was terrible and didn't help. He also said this was the last chance saloon before Roaccutane. I resigned myself to thinking nothing would help me, and a few months later I went back to my doctor again to change my pill as it was making me nauseous; he gave me a fairly new-on-the-market low-dose oestrogen pill (Gedarel 20) and, oh my gosh, it worked on my skin from day one! I am now just over three months in and my skin is virutally clear-ish.  

However... I am now left with blackheads and whiteheads (which I never had before?!?!), the odd very very tiny pustule and very very occasionally the odd papule; however, I don't know what treatment I need for them. I am still taking Epiduo, but my doctor thinks I should stop taking it as it is clearly the pill helping. I've stopped using it twice a day but I am so reluctant to stop it completely because my whiteheads and blackheads become (badly) inflamed if I leave them (and I am also a picker, oops (:). I have started Zinc, Vit E and Vit D3 which have also helped, I believe, but I don't know what to do about topical treatments because I am so concious I don't think I could actually stop using them. I am confused as to whether benzoyl peroxide is best, salicyclic acd or even glycolic acid?? My whiteheads are so stubborn on my cheeks and so are the blackheads on my forehead. I have sort of come to realise I will never have pristine skin, I will always have one or two odd blackheads, etc, but it stills gets me so down when I wake up to find a whitehead/blackhead has popped up and become inflamed on my cheek. 

I have read salicyclic is best for blackheads, while benzoyl for whiteheads, and glycolic for bringing all the impurities to the surface. I am thinking maybe I need low-dose salicyclic topically and glycolic as a face mask every few days or something similar every now and again?? I currently use BareMinerals Blemish Remedy which contains 1% salicyclic as a cleanser, then use a oil-controlling toner and then moisturise, but I am soooo confused as to what to do?

There is so much on the internet and I think I've done too much research and I've confused myself more! I You guys will probably be much more of a help then other websites! Thanks so much in advance if you can shed some light and sorry for my confusion and possible naivety :)

MemberMember
(@ryan1016)

Posted : 01/20/2017 6:41 pm

I too wake up each morning with new whiteheads to battle :)  I used 10% benzoyl peroxide for a few weeks and it seemed to clear them up nicely, but i guess that was just a grace period because they came back worse then before. I have tried so many different methods and even changed my lifestyle to try and get rid of them but they do not seem to go away. If anything it made my acne worse, which is making me just want to give up and get on accutane. It could also just be hormones since i am only 19 years old, but who knows. Best of luck on your adventure to finding prestine skin! ;) 

MemberMember
(@holllll24)

Posted : 01/22/2017 7:44 am

I'm thinking that as I've recently introduced the Salicylic wash that it is that product purging my skin?? The time frame makes perfect sense! I definitely think it's purging as it's in all my problematic areas! I hate how it's making me feel and want to stop using it after this realisation!