Notifications
Clear all

How I cleared my closed comedones, blackheads, and bumps!

MemberMember
(@retina96)

Posted : 01/04/2017 12:13 am

For the last 5 years of my life, hundreds of colorless closed comedones all over my face killed my self-confidence. I tried product after product to clear them and nothing worked. Extractions left my face red and irritated, and the comedones would reappear within a few days. My dermatologist prescribed me Retin-A Micro, which I had such high hopes for after reading reviews. After many weeks of dryness and purging, my face was completely clear and I was so happy. But the longer I stayed on that medication, the more comedones reappeared. After about 5 or 6 months I stopped taking Retin-A Micro because it had stopped working for me. After that I tried SO many products to try and clear my face. Seriously I tried anything I read good reviews for: face washes, creams, toners, masks, you name it- I probably tried it.

Some products cleared a few bumps but nothing too noticeable. For the past 2 weeks I changed my skin care regimen COMPLETELY and almost all of my closed comedones have cleared, and my blackheads are clearing and becoming much less noticeable. I am seriously in awe and cannot believe it because I was starting to give up. I feel so much better when I look in the mirror and don't see those horrible bumps all over my face.

Since I started using a few products at once, I can't pinpoint if it is just one of the products clearing my skin or if it is the combination of all of them. Either way I thought I would share since so many other people have the same skin problem as me! Everyone's skin is different and I cannot guarantee this will work on everyone but it is worth a try!

Skin type: Oily. Closed comedones (all over my face but most concentrated on forehead). Big blackheads on nose. Occasional pimple.

Morning:
1) Shower. Exfoliate face in shower with The Body Shop Tea Tree Face Wash
2) Dry face and apply The Body Shop Tea Tree Toner all over face (This toner can be very drying on my skin)
3) Moisturize with Olay Face and Body Beauty Fluid Lotion

Night:
1) Remove makeup with a makeup removing wipe
2)Dry face and apply The Body Shop Tea Tree Toner again
3) When toner has sunk into skin I apply Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid(This liquid feels very oily and waxy on my skin at first which is why I always apply it at night so my skin has time to absorb it. My face feels non-oily and soft in the morning!)

[Edited image out]

MemberMember
(@cajz95)

Posted : 01/05/2017 5:33 pm

Congratulations!

Was there any purging?

retina96 liked
MemberMember
(@somerandomname)

Posted : 01/06/2017 10:50 am

What make up removing wipes do you use?

retina96 liked
MemberMember
(@retina96)

Posted : 01/07/2017 6:53 pm

On 1/5/2017 at 3:33 PM, cajz95 said:

Congratulations!

Was there any purging?

no I didn't have any purging. almost everything cleared up within a few days :) theres still a couple of small comedones but nothing too noticeable. especially compared to what it was like before

On 1/6/2017 at 8:50 AM, somerandomname said:

What make up removing wipes do you use?

I'm not sure exactly what brand it is but I just buy them at costco in a big box! they're in light purple/white packaging

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 01/08/2017 10:20 am

That's awesome your skin looks great!!

retina96 liked
MemberMember
(@headspace)

Posted : 01/08/2017 1:08 pm

Wow, that's awesome! I have a similar situation on my forehead, so I will definitely be trying this!

What texture does the face wash have (big exfoliating beads, small beads, gritty powder)?

MemberMember
(@retina96)

Posted : 01/08/2017 9:37 pm

8 hours ago, Headspace said:

Wow, that's awesome! I have a similar situation on my forehead, so I will definitely be trying this!

What texture does the face wash have (big exfoliating beads, small beads, gritty powder)?

The tea tree face wash has a smooth gel texture, no exfoliating beads! So I usually use it on an exfoliating sponge! As much as I love the tea tree products I really think it was the Paula's choice face wash that helped my skin. Everyone's skin reacts differently to different products though so it is hard to know how it will work for everyone. There is a trial size of the Paula's Choice (I bought it on Amazon) which is what I bought to test it out before I spent $30 on the full size bottle :) 

MemberMember
(@headspace)

Posted : 01/10/2017 12:34 pm

On 1/8/2017 at 9:37 PM, retina96 said:
The tea tree face wash has a smooth gel texture, no exfoliating beads! So I usually use it on an exfoliating sponge! As much as I love the tea tree products I really think it was the Paula's choice face wash that helped my skin. Everyone's skin reacts differently to different products though so it is hard to know how it will work for everyone. There is a trial size of the Paula's Choice (I bought it on Amazon) which is what I bought to test it out before I spent $30 on the full size bottle :) 

Okay, thank you! My skin has been going through a bit of a transition period (I've been keeping hydrated more than I used to, it's completely changed my life so far) and I'm waiting to finish that out before I try this method. :)

MemberMember
(@cajz95)

Posted : 01/10/2017 11:04 pm

Did you use the Paulas Choice 2% BHA just on your forehead where the closed comedones were? Or did you apply over your whole face?

MemberMember
(@retina96)

Posted : 01/11/2017 11:58 pm

On 1/10/2017 at 9:04 PM, cajz95 said:

Did you use the Paulas Choice 2% BHA just on your forehead where the closed comedones were? Or did you apply over your whole face?

All over my face. The closed comedones were most noticeable on my forehead but there were still some in other areas of my face that I wanted to get rid of