Notifications
Clear all

Accutane and lower back/sciatica pain?

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 12/15/2016 5:20 am

Has anyone had issues with lower back pain while on treatment?

I've been on 20mg a day for over a year now. I've kept dose low during the whole treatment to limit the side effects and 20mg has worked great. I did increase dose for a month or two over the summer but dropped dose back down soon after. I have been getting lower back/sciatica type pain for the last few months which seemed to start around the time I increase dosage and has seemed to improve since dropping back down. Having done a little reading online (not always a good thing!)this does seem to be a common side effect and as I've been on treatment near 15 months now, I'm starting to think about coming off treatment completely. I've had very little side effects during the whole treatment (apart from dry skin/lips etc) and I guess as this builds up in your system, maybe the effect on joints etc can be more noticeable the longer on treatment. Anyway, I now stopped treatment 3 days ago which is a big thing as this has worked great for most of the time I've been on accutane but the important thing not to forget is, its not a treatment you use forever and I feel that after being on treatment for so long, that hopefully the positive effects of treatment should be long lasting.

So guess my question is....has anyone elseexperienced lower back/hip pain issues while on treatment?

Thanks for any comments

MemberMember
(@jinayg)

Posted : 12/22/2016 6:18 pm

I have only been using 30 mg twice a day for two months and I've been having lower back, hips and leg pains. But very minimal and nothing major, mostly just when I stand up or sit down it hurts. My doctor said achy joints was a regular side effect and mine doesn't hurt enough to take anything for it. She did say to tell her before I did because she needs to know what pain killers I'm taking.

chippy1 liked
MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 12/23/2016 9:50 am

15 hours ago, jinayg said:

I have only been using 30 mg twice a day for two months and I've been having lower back, hips and leg pains. But very minimal and nothing major, mostly just when I stand up or sit down it hurts. My doctor said achy joints was a regular side effect and mine doesn't hurt enough to take anything for it. She did say to tell her before I did because she needs to know what pain killers I'm taking.

Thanks jinayg! Appreciate your reply, good to know it is common side effect while on treatment. My course ended nearly 2 weeks ago now and found the lower back/hip pain has started to improve.....Very best wishes with treatment and thanks again.