Notifications
Clear all

PIE - Post Inflammatory Erythema What are Those Red Marks on My Face

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 10/21/2016 9:12 am

Hi Everyone,

I want to update the FAQ, since a common topic seems to be PIE - Post Inflammatory Erythema (redness related to acne, popped pimples, infection, chemical burns, over-exfoliation, cuts, scrapes, scratches, sunburn, ... it goes away when you press on the area). Unlike PIH - Post Inflammatory Hiperpigmentation which is permanent changes in the skins pigment. I have seen a few posters recently come to the acne scar sub with PIE issues and they want solutions for their scars. 

What's the difference between Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation and Erythema?

• Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH) is related to brown spots, not red spots. The brown discolorations are caused by an excess production of melanin. Vitamin C, AHAs, Hydroquinone are all great tools for inhibiting melanin which will fade the brown discoloration, but it will not do anything for red or purple scarring - which is something I believe is mistaken on this sub. PIH is more common in darker skin types (Fitzpatrick IV-VI), although it is not limited to any skin type.

• Post Inflammatory Erythema (PIE) is a new term that is starting to pick up awareness in dermatology terminology. PIE is in the process of becoming the new terminology used to describe pink to red discoloration after an inflammatory acne lesion. Patients with lighter skin types (I-III) the postinflammatory dyspigmentation is often not hyperpigmentation, but instead discrete erythematous macules (PIE). Acne may not be the only cause of postinflammatory erythema, as any resolving cutaneous inflammatory process may have residual erythema.

source:  https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/1tk78i/post_inflammatory_erythema_pie/

PIE
PIE hyperpigmentation before and after
PIH
Image result for PIH skin

Treatments:

PIE's: V-beam (vascular laser), Silicone Sheets, cortisone shots aka Kenalog (Can cause skin atrophy). Fresh Lemon, triple antibiotic, or Bactroban cream. Topical green tea also has a soothing effect on the skin-5 per cent concentration of room temperature has been shown to be effective. 2.5% hydrocortisone twice per day (only for a weeks time - it thins the skin). Antioxidant vitamins, Niacinamide . And topical Vitamin C serum.

PIH: Skin bleaching cream and acid peels, laser resurfacing, photo facial, IPL.

QuanHenry liked
MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 10/23/2016 5:49 pm

Pretty sure that's what I had. Mine resolved with eliminating all grains, eating clean, and exercising light to moderately.

Ill post pics when I find them.

Eric98 liked
MemberMember
(@estheticianmia)

Posted : 12/17/2016 8:27 pm

Hi,
@beautifulambitionthe pic you posted is before and after treatment? What time of treatment you had done?
I have some PIE after tca cross, I wonder what would be the best treatment. maybe pulsed dye laser? thank you for your update, one more question, the red scars would go away after some months or we really have to go through procedures?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/17/2016 10:58 pm

Hi there,

This isn't a update, this is information to help others. None of the pics are of me. They are before pics to show the condition.

Yes V-beam is a great treatment for PIE

You can wait if you want, some will go away, for many it does not and is ongoing with vascularity, some treatments those do for acne will make it worse as their is a thinning or blood vessels come near the spot. Nothing wrong with waiting if you wish.

MemberMember
(@estheticianmia)

Posted : 12/17/2016 11:50 pm

I heard some cortisone would be an option to start with and the lasers. Do you know about fractional laser or IPL good for red marks after tca cross @beautifulambition? thank you

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/18/2016 4:15 am

V-beam is best for reds, ....coritsone thins the skin and can leave depressions. Photo facial, IPL are good for browns.

MemberMember
(@aaajjj)

Posted : 07/04/2018 7:54 am

On 10/24/2016 at 4:19 AM, holdingontohope said:

Pretty sure that's what I had. Mine resolved with eliminating all grains, eating clean, and exercising light to moderately.

Ill post pics when I find them.

how long did it take?