Notifications
Clear all

Persistent allergic acne or adult acne w/use of any and all detergents, shampoos, and acne-treating soaps

MemberMember
(@bizz)

Posted : 10/07/2016 12:00 pm

I'm 30. I've had hormonal cystic acne since I was 15.

In the last 15 years I've been on minocycline, aldactone, and accutane, each drug for at least 2 years. My guts are screwed up.

I can't take probiotics, eat shellfish or unprocessed fish like salmon or whitefish, or consume coconut oil. Didn't use to be that way. This happened after a rhinoplasty using a nasal implant (I know that sound bizarre but I probably have a lot of biofilm or something under my skin.)

I haven't been able to use regular dandruff shampoo with zinc, peppermint shampoo, laundry detergent (scented or unscented--I know tide makes a hypoallergenic, it gave me horrible cysts on my back and face), sulfur wash, or salicylic acid wash Thank God, I can still use astringent, but that's it.

In brief, my skin has become hyperreactive, but I'd actually really like to be able to use a shampoo other than Suave Daily Clarifying again, since my scalp is too used to it and it makes my hair gross after a while.

If I eat or use any of these things, it follows a pattern--I get a huge cyst and smaller itchy fluidless papules in the area where my skin makes contact (esp. after shampoos) and I break out terribly.

I find non-sulfate shampoos don't really help with my oily fine hair, though, and worse, if they're scented or have oils, that's it. They become a problem.

Have any adult acne patients experienced something like this? Reactions to shampoos skin products and bath products meant to resolve acne, possibly in addition to food issues?

Do you have any ideas, or even recommendations for laundry detergent and shampoo that you could use without too many problems?

I'm tired of using even a drop of dandruff shampoo and coming away from it with greasy hair, face rash and a huge cyst.

MemberMember
(@shmilym)

Posted : 11/26/2016 8:25 am

Soapberry seed is your answer.
A natural seed, used for laundry detergent & shampoo. It is used widely in ancient Asian & til now.
Just google it, and grab some from Amazon.

MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 11/26/2016 8:53 am

I was just about ti say soapnuts but the person above beat me to it! Haha
Im allergic to 50+ foods and pretty much every detergent and when my bf started soap nuts it helped me so much with allergies. They are quite simple and most will come with directions. Just soak nuts in the jar, empty the liquid into the washer machine and fill the jar back up for next use. Each 2-3 soapnuts should last a week