Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone used Clindamycin lotion?

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 10/01/2016 10:11 pm

I recently visited the dermatologist and she prescribed me Greenstone brand Clindamycin phosphate topical lotion 1%. She also prescribed me some sort of tretinoin but my insurance apparently said there was an age limit of 25 on it(?) and didn't ok it, so I am waiting for the doctor's office to authorize it.

Does anyone have experience with this stuff? I am worried because the instructions say that it can cause colitis, and I am a special case because I have had much of my colon and large intestine removed, as well as some of my small intestine. (Warning, bowel talk ensues)

Because of this I have diarrhea all the time. I take Metamucil to remedy this and it helps greatly. However, it says diarrhea is a side effect and I just want to make sure I'm not hurting myself when I think something normal is happening to me. I am going to call the doctor's office on Monday to ask them about this. I just figured maybe you fine folks might be able to provide me with some insight.

I think, I thinkthat I have noticed a correlation between my diarrhea and acne although I am not entirely sure. I don't always keep up with the Metamucil so it's tough to tell, but I am nearly certain that when my poop isn't solid then my acne flares up. I am going to be more consistent with my Metamucil and see what happens with my face. I am just so sick of having acne and I've tried everything. My face is constantly oily. The last time I went to the dermatologist we discussed a second round of Accutane but I don't really want to do it. I'm just trying to eat healthier and using topical stuff when I can. I really don't know what to do.

MemberMember
(@derek-c)

Posted : 10/06/2016 12:46 am

I'm using clindamycin gel in the morning and tretinoin gel at night. It's ok. I use the gel because i find the lotion makes my face really greasy. The gel does too to an extent, but much less so.

I'm in my 30s, so I like it because it's not harsh on my skin. I was using Benzoyl Peroxide in the morning before it, for quite some time, with about the same results, but it made the parts of my skin w/out acne dry and irritated looking. This doesn't dry out the skin, so I think overall my skin looks less irritated.

I've only been using it a few months. It hasn't cleared my face completely, but it's kept things at bay. I think my skin looks better simply because it's more gentle than BP.

The only way to know if it will give you diarrhea is by trying it. I actually get diarrhea very easily, since I was a kid, and I can't say I've noticed any reaction to the clindmycin.