Notifications
Clear all

Just been described an antibiotic not commonly used for acne??

MemberMember
(@mxria2015)

Posted : 08/13/2016 9:48 am

I have just been prescribed Trimethoprim, an antibiotic commonly used for bladder infections?? It has been given to me to treat my recurring/stubborn acne. It is 200mg and I have to take one tablet twice a day. My question is, when exactly should I take the tablets? How many hours should I wait before each dose? Should I have them on an empty stomach?

MemberMember
(@umas)

Posted : 08/13/2016 11:22 am

That's question for your doctor, not people on forum. I can only say that although trimethoprim is not commonly used for acne, it's not something unique.

MemberMember
(@mxria2015)

Posted : 08/28/2016 9:05 am

On 13 August 2016 at 5:22 PM, Umas said:

That's question for your doctor, not people on forum. I can only say that although trimethoprim is not commonly used for acne, it's not something unique.

Thanks for replying! It's very hard to get hold of any doctors on the phone these days that's why I'm happy for people given the same prescription to let me know
the label on the box is very vague and doesn't say anything about having the tablets on an empty stomach but I think I'll have it with food otherwise it'll cause havoc in my stomach

MemberMember
(@umas)

Posted : 08/28/2016 10:16 am

1 hour ago, Mxria2015 said:
Thanks for replying! It's very hard to get hold of any doctors on the phone these days that's why I'm happy for people given the same prescription to let me know
the label on the box is very vague and doesn't say anything about having the tablets on an empty stomach but I think I'll have it with food otherwise it'll cause havoc in my stomach

Well there are worse antibiotics for stomach, this one isn't that bad. I wold recomend using probiotics, just not at the same time you take antibiotic. What's even more imporatant is to take probiotics after course of antibiotics is over. That's for microflora, but antibiotics can also damaged linening of stomach, flax seed or aloe vera can help with that(linening of stomach and intestines renegerate rather quickly, much quicker than microflora but it sometimes needs protection too)

MemberMember
(@angelinna)

Posted : 09/01/2016 3:21 pm

I've used Bactrim before, which issulfamethoxazole andtrimethoprim combo, and didn't have any side effects. It works great for acne. Also, Zithromax is great too because you only have to take a low dose and a few times a week. I tried almost everything and hated the usually prescribed cycline antibiotics (doxycycline, minocycline...) which always gave me bad side effects.