Notifications
Clear all

Help with my itchy/dandruff-y scalp on accutane?

MemberMember
(@elee92)

Posted : 07/11/2016 5:04 pm

Has anyone experienced itchy, dry, flaky scalp on accutane? I'm getting so much dandruff from it and it doesn't go too well with my dark hair. I'm forced to wash it daily unless I want to make a dandruffy fashion statement.

Will this go away, get worse, stay as is? What can I do for it - product recommendations?

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 07/12/2016 12:12 am

I'm going through this right now! I'm about three weeks into my treatment. It used to be that I'd have to wash my hair once a day at least (often twice) or else I'd end up looking like I rolled around in some grease, but now I only have to wash it every 3 to 4 days.

It seems counterintuitive, but DON'T wash it everyday. That just dries your scalp out more.

What's helped me a lot is washing my hair only about twice a week. Once a week I use head and shoulders and then the other time I use a shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil in it. If your scalp feels so itchy that you just can't handle it, try only applying moisturizing conditioner to your scalp and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it out in lukewarm water.

elee92 liked
MemberMember
(@elee92)

Posted : 07/12/2016 7:50 am

I usually don't wash it unless I *have* to (i.e. I have to socialize and it's been > 24h since my last wash) lol. But the amount of dandruff is so visible and embarrassing and I don't know how else to get rid of it - and the itching is driving me nuts. I'll look for tea tree oil shampoo this weekend...until then maybe I'll mix a couple of drops of tea tree oil with my current shampoo...

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@chrissy329)

Posted : 07/12/2016 9:26 am

The itchy dry scalp went away after about a month for me, just hold out!

Try using coconut oil - massage it into your scalp before taking a shower. It helped me a lot.