Notifications
Clear all

Cutting out Coffee - Folliculitis

MemberMember
(@jasonnyc)

Posted : 06/19/2016 12:33 pm

I have had a small patch of folliculitis on the back of my neck for about 18 months now. My doctor put me on several antibiotic creams and then pills. Neither worked, so he said the only resort was to take Accutane. I hate ingesting harsh drugs and keep hearing that one should avoid Accutane at all costs, so i have tried everything from coconut oil (did nothing) to tea tree oil (helps some) to see if i can discover a natural cure/magic bullet.

So, my best friend, years ago had a back acne situation he had He too had tried all the usual treatments. However, he cut out coffee in a non-related exercise to reduce his coffee consumption. As a side-effect, over the course of a month or so, his acne went away, never to return. He and I both think it possibly alkalized his system, making it an inhospitable place for bacteria to thrive, since bacteria needs acidic environments to live.

Flash forward to me today and I decided to cut the coffee too. And for the past 2 weeks, I have cut out coffee completely. AND, its working! I dont eat a lot of other acidic foods and I will report more when I can, but thus far the issue is dramatically changing and I am hoping it will continue in this direction. Further, to help it along, going with the theory of alkalizing my system, I am also taking Apple Cider Vinegar before breakfast and a teaspoon of baking soda in the evening.

I hope this works for others. It seems logical. We shall see.

MemberMember
(@hissingstep)

Posted : 06/22/2016 11:57 am

Hey!! I'm doing an elimination diet but I slip up on coffee and when I do my skin is really bad!!
How long until you it cleared completely? X

MemberMember
(@koko-k)

Posted : 06/22/2016 12:46 pm

so so so happy i found this post. my doctor diagnosed me with Folliculitis about two weeks ago and i was first put on steroid creams and then put onto pills as well but nothing has seemed to clear it up dramatically so far. Ive been a frequent coffee drinker for the past 2 months due to school and having to stay up quite late for homework. Starting tomorrow im going to give up dairy and coffee and see if it makes a difference between its so darn embarrassing to have this on my neck for everyone to see... its for sure caused a flaw on my confidence. Thanks for making this post!