Notifications
Clear all

Pityrosporum Folliculitis misery!

MemberMember
(@colourlady93)

Posted : 06/15/2016 11:13 am

Hello everyone,

So for a long time, years actually, I have been looking at various posts on this website but never actually posted anything. But I think it's about time I do as I'm feeling extremely down about my skin now. If things don't seem articulate then I'm sorry. I've only just stopped crying.

I first started struggling with acne when I was 12/13. I'm now 22 (female). Long time. However, I have managed to keep it in control with topicals and antibiotics. I have now reached a point where i'm using epiduo for a few months, then having a break for a bit. The bottom half of my face stays fairly clear just by doing this (temples downwards), but my forehead is something completely different.

When I was 18 I was put on lymecycline alongside the epiduo as the epiduo seemed to be losing effect. Things were okay for a bit, but after maybe 2 months I started to see a lot of small pink/red itchy bumps appearing on my forehead. After being on those treatments for a year my forehead was absolutely covered in these small bumps. It itched too! So I did some research and found that I probably had something called Pityrosporum Folliculitis. I went to the doctors and explained what I thought was going on. I've also seen a dermatologist too. Both no help. Just told me to exfoliate more, gave me different antibiotics. The condition just kept getting worse. So eventually I started to use Head and Shoulders on the area, leaving it on for 5 mins each time. After a week my forehead was completely clear. So clear you could see my pores all clear and nice. Not one single bump. Anyway, after a while it started to lose effect. Didn't know what to do so went back to epiduo which cleared it thankfully (due to initial dry effect). Since then i've just been swapping between Head and shoulders, Selsun and epiduo to keep it clear.

The problem is that I don't just want to be using shampoo forever more, but I'm running out of options!

I've also tried acv, tea tree oil, and currently testing propylene glycol 50% in water. I'm on the 4th day of the propylene glycol and the bumps seem to be getting worse again. I'm also taking a probiotic and on the pill. Not on any antibiotics! i believe that's what caused my problem.

The worst part of this is the fact that I'm feeling down almost 24/7. Whenever I go back to using shampoo and it clears up I start to feel happy and confident again, but I'm worried because each time I use something it seems to be working for a less amount of time and I don't know what I'll do if everything just stops working for me. This is affecting my day to day life, my relationships, my happiness. My mum says I need mental help as I'm constantly down, but I can't go back to the doctors or see a dermatologist because they're patronising and just don't help. I just need some advice on how to finally get rid of this, not just maintain it. All I can think about at any one time is how many bumps are on my forehead.

I feel like I'm depressing everyone and wasting my life thinking about it and trying to keep on top of it.
If anyone can offer some advice or kind words then I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/16/2016 9:22 am

Hi, if you suspect PF ( not writing it out lol) see if you can go to a regular doctor and get an anti fungal. Spironax and the one they give women for yeast infections...you can't drink alcohol on these.
Neanwhile try capryluc acid and garlic supplements, they supposedly kill yeast. Maybe cut down on sugar and carbs too as they feed yeast.
Try an antifungal cream perhaps from the drug store?

MemberMember
(@snake3741)

Posted : 06/17/2016 3:45 am

Well it might not be what you want to hear but..from what it sounds you can sometimes have clear skin ENJOY those moments to the fullest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because people like me can only dream and fantasize about having clear skin for at least a week. I will never in my life have clear skin (no matter what treatment) and I feel depressed and sad about it every single day week month and years of my life.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/17/2016 8:22 am

4 hours ago, Snake3741 said:

Well it might not be what you want to hear but..from what it sounds you can sometimes have clear skin ENJOY those moments to the fullest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because people like me can only dream and fantasize about having clear skin for at least a week. I will never in my life have clear skin (no matter what treatment) and I feel depressed and sad about it every single day week month and years of my life.

im sorry to hear that! Really, nothing can be done for you?

4 hours ago, Snake3741 said:

MemberMember
(@colourlady93)

Posted : 06/18/2016 5:03 am

Thanks snarkygirl and Snake3741 for your replies.

See I feel like this thing with my forehead is my last problem now skin wise. Like I say, I manage to get control of the bottom half of my face by using epiduo on and off throughout the year.

There are times when I use selsun or h&s and have complete clarity on my forehead. I remember the first time I used h&s. I went from my forehead being covered in these tiny itchy red bumps to completely clear. Of course, I know I can't keep using these forever more and want to get rid of this internally. I am really happy when my forehead is clear of course! It's just emotionally draining worrying about these methods stopping working.

The next logical step now is what you suggested snarkygirl, go see my doctor for an oral antifungal which is supposed to give immediate clearance and hopefully put it into remission for a bit. The only reason I haven't been back to the doctors or dermatologist is because of the way they completely dismissed the idea. I suppose there is one more open minded doctor I could ask about it. I've just been embarrassed about it. My skin is fair so something like this really shows.

Yes I will look into diet and supplements. The only thing I take at the minute is a probiotic, although I could definitely tackle this more from the inside.

Thanks for your suggestions :) it's good to finally talk to someone on here about it.

Also, snarkygirl, do you suffer from pf yourself?

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/18/2016 1:47 pm

8 hours ago, colourlady93 said:

Thanks snarkygirl and Snake3741 for your replies.

See I feel like this thing with my forehead is my last problem now skin wise. Like I say, I manage to get control of the bottom half of my face by using epiduo on and off throughout the year.

There are times when I use selsun or h&s and have complete clarity on my forehead. I remember the first time I used h&s. I went from my forehead being covered in these tiny itchy red bumps to completely clear. Of course, I know I can't keep using these forever more and want to get rid of this internally. I am really happy when my forehead is clear of course! It's just emotionally draining worrying about these methods stopping working.

The next logical step now is what you suggested snarkygirl, go see my doctor for an oral antifungal which is supposed to give immediate clearance and hopefully put it into remission for a bit. The only reason I haven't been back to the doctors or dermatologist is because of the way they completely dismissed the idea. I suppose there is one more open minded doctor I could ask about it. I've just been embarrassed about it. My skin is fair so something like this really shows.

Yes I will look into diet and supplements. The only thing I take at the minute is a probiotic, although I could definitely tackle this more from the inside.

Thanks for your suggestions :) it's good to finally talk to someone on here about it.

Also, snarkygirl, do you suffer from pf yourself?

i think I had it at one point on my chest a few years ago...I took garlic tablets . I think I put monistat cream on it too haha, I was never diagnosed.
I research the hell out of skin issues. Doctors don't know it all.
If you're not happy with your doctors decisions, insist on your way or get a different doctor. Request a skin biopsy if you like, hey you're the patient :)

MemberMember
(@colourlady93)

Posted : 06/18/2016 3:13 pm

Hi Snarkygirl,

Oh okay, would you say that the garlic supplements really helped then? I might try those first. Plus a low sugar diet.

haha! I'm so bad for that too!! I research an insane amount. It's worrying haha. I once had google ask me if I was a robot because I'd had one insane skin research marathon on this pf thing hahaha!

I also have a few scars and what not from standard acne. Do you ever just think what type of person you'd have turned out to be without having this to deal with?