Notifications
Clear all

Retinoids on clear skin

MemberMember
(@easyflorist)

Posted : 05/29/2016 4:16 am

Hi guys, this is my first post on acne.org. I have always had pretty clear skin, throughout my teens I would get a pimple here and there but nothing that stressed me out too much. I'm 23 now and have just gone back on the pill (Yaz) and within the first 2.5 months I had the worst skin of my life. It started out with a few small pimples , more than usual but they would clear up quite quickly and not leave a mark. I then got a HUGE cyst (i've only ever had one before) and over the next 2-3 weeks I got around 4-5 new papules around the cyst and perfectly symmetrical papules on the other side (they were along my smile line around my mouth/nose).

I know this doesn't sound like much but they were so inflamed and painful and did not come to a head at all and would last weeks and weeks. I finally started taking doxycycline (100mg) and have been doing so for 4.5 weeks now and in the past 2 weeks or so I haven't had any new bothersome papules.. only a couple of small pustules here and there which are easily covered and disappear quickly.

I've just started on my 4th month of the pill and 5th week of doxycycline and whilst i have terrible post inflammatory hyper pigmentation from the cyst and papules, I'm thankful that i haven't had any disastrous breakouts lately and currently only have 1 small active pimple (touch wood).

I have been toying with the idea of going on a retinoid (maybe retin-a micro) to clear up the hyperpigmentation and blackheads + uneven skin tone but am terrified of the initial breakout everyone talks about - and the fact that some people say it made their mild acne become severe cystic acne. I know it may be vain but even having 4-5 papules made me very anxious and withdrawn and not myself so I don't think i could handle a full blown initial breakout. I'm also studying medicine and have exams coming up so don't need any more stress (for some reason having bad skin completely consumed me).

My question is, if I have managed to get to the point of clear skin on doxycycline and Yaz, is it likely that a retinoid will cause a bad break out if there's not that much to push out?

I have just read SO many horror stories about retinoids that i'm so scared to start and mess my skin up now that its finally better after the worst breakout of my life. The larger papules, whilst they have gone down on the surface and are just read marks now, I can still feel under my skin and have no idea how to get rid of this aside from just waiting it out, so was hoping a retinoid would help to push these out.

Regime:
- Cetaphil gentle face wash in the morning
- Organic moisturiser
- Non-comedogenic BB cream as makeup
- Biore 2.5% salicylic acid pore cleansing face wash at night
- Organic moisturiser
- Mario Badescu drying lotion as a spot treatment on closed pimples
- Benzac 2.5% on pustules/(gently) popped pimples

I drink 2L of water a day, so much green tea and have cut out all milk, soy and coffee.

Any advice/experiences would be so helpful, I have been so incredibly self conscious. thank you!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 06/02/2016 10:08 am

On 5/29/2016 at 5:16 AM, EasyFlorist said:

Hi guys, this is my first post on acne.org. I have always had pretty clear skin, throughout my teens I would get a pimple here and there but nothing that stressed me out too much. I'm 23 now and have just gone back on the pill (Yaz) and within the first 2.5 months I had the worst skin of my life. It started out with a few small pimples , more than usual but they would clear up quite quickly and not leave a mark. I then got a HUGE cyst (i've only ever had one before) and over the next 2-3 weeks I got around 4-5 new papules around the cyst and perfectly symmetrical papules on the other side (they were along my smile line around my mouth/nose).

I know this doesn't sound like much but they were so inflamed and painful and did not come to a head at all and would last weeks and weeks. I finally started taking doxycycline (100mg) and have been doing so for 4.5 weeks now and in the past 2 weeks or so I haven't had any new bothersome papules.. only a couple of small pustules here and there which are easily covered and disappear quickly.

I've just started on my 4th month of the pill and 5th week of doxycycline and whilst i have terrible post inflammatory hyper pigmentation from the cyst and papules, I'm thankful that i haven't had any disastrous breakouts lately and currently only have 1 small active pimple (touch wood).

I have been toying with the idea of going on a retinoid (maybe retin-a micro) to clear up the hyperpigmentation and blackheads + uneven skin tone but am terrified of the initial breakout everyone talks about - and the fact that some people say it made their mild acne become severe cystic acne. I know it may be vain but even having 4-5 papules made me very anxious and withdrawn and not myself so I don't think i could handle a full blown initial breakout. I'm also studying medicine and have exams coming up so don't need any more stress (for some reason having bad skin completely consumed me).

My question is, if I have managed to get to the point of clear skin on doxycycline and Yaz, is it likely that a retinoid will cause a bad break out if there's not that much to push out?

I have just read SO many horror stories about retinoids that i'm so scared to start and mess my skin up now that its finally better after the worst breakout of my life. The larger papules, whilst they have gone down on the surface and are just read marks now, I can still feel under my skin and have no idea how to get rid of this aside from just waiting it out, so was hoping a retinoid would help to push these out.

Regime:
- Cetaphil gentle face wash in the morning
- Organic moisturiser
- Non-comedogenic BB cream as makeup
- Biore 2.5% salicylic acid pore cleansing face wash at night
- Organic moisturiser
- Mario Badescu drying lotion as a spot treatment on closed pimples
- Benzac 2.5% on pustules/(gently) popped pimples

I drink 2L of water a day, so much green tea and have cut out all milk, soy and coffee.

Any advice/experiences would be so helpful, I have been so incredibly self conscious. thank you!

Hi there! It sounds like you are looking to start a better exfoliation process to help speed along the healing and hyperpigmentation left over. I too have been on Yasmin and Doxy (also Spironolactone) and got clear. Instead of using Retinoid which I am deathly afraid of, I chose years ago to go the at home chemical peel route to help speed up exfoliation and healing. Makeup Artists Choice is a wonderful company that has very safe at home peels. You can start very very gently 15% salicylic or 25% mandelic 1 time a week and progress along to other peels, they have a mix salicylic/mandelic or higher % mandelic. Glycolic acid peels are also great for lightening marks and healing. You can read all of the reviews and even call them to talk through, if you have clogged pores it does help to clear them and quickly. It won't cause new clogged pores if that makes sense. I've used them for over 2 years and love them.

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/
https://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=140339/25-Mandelic-Acid-Peel/Makeup-Artist-s-Choice-(MUAC)-/Masks
https://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=160403/Mandelic/Salicylic-Peel/Makeup-Artist-s-Choice-(MUAC)-/Treatments-(Face)