Notifications
Clear all

Excess sebum production due to overwashing face

MemberMember
(@yasemin)

Posted : 05/22/2016 6:32 am

Hello everyone,
I hope your day is going good so far.
I want to start by saying I'm new here and new with acne. (My skin has always been dry and not acne-prone, until now)
I've been battling with some (facial) problems the last two months that are disappointing me mentally.
It started around March, when I used Odorex Extra Dry on my armpits which made me stop sweating around my armpits. I noticed the pores on my face getting larger and getting a few pimples around the pores next to my nose (cheeks), which made me think I should wash my face more often. Me overwashing my face ended up in me having eczema on my right cheek, where the pores are, and at the same time, my face also started to produce excess sebum. I've read that this is what happens when you overwash your face. I went to the doctor with this and she gave me a thick creme for my eczema. I wasn't sure if I wanted to use it at first, but ended up using it twice knowing it would make me break out because of the thick substance it is. And yes, right now, I have around 20 small, red, pimples all over my nose and around 10 big ones on my chin. Right at the places where I have these (lately enlarged) pores.
The few things I'm worried about the most, is: Will my excess sebum production go back to normal if I stop washing my face? I haven't washed my face in a couple days. Along with that, my enlarged pores. Will they go back to normal? I've always had small pores on my cheeks.
I have sensitive/dry skin, (right now a bit oily) and for me, the scars the pimples will leave have always been more of a problem than the pimples itself. (Even if I don't pick at it)
I eat clean; whole grains, lots of fruit, some vegetables, 2L water a day, 3-4 cups of coffee with milk and sugar a week, no milk or yoghurt but I do eat cheese and not greasy or sugary. I'm wondering if there are any foods or drinks I should avoid, because maybe it stumilates sebum production?

Can you friends help me, it worries me a lot. Does any of this sound familiar? Even if you have a very small thing to say, leave a reply. I feel a bit desperate here and there. Please, help me! Thank you!

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 05/23/2016 3:45 am

You might eat clean but eat a lot of carbs. I only eat 40-100g a day and it really controls my acne. I don't even use products anymore