Notifications
Clear all

Microdermabrasion and Glycolic Peels Questions and Concerns

MemberMember
(@destinyreanne)

Posted : 04/20/2016 3:37 pm

I am hoping to get any answers from people who have personally had glycolic peels or microdermabrasion. I went to my dermatologist last week and he prescribed spiroand he suggested I get microdermabrasion and glycolic peels in their office because it is covered by my insurance. I have had another dermatologist recommend it but I was told I would have to get off trentinoin completely and I am not willing to do that. But my dermatologist told me last week that I would need to just not use the trentinoin for a few days. I have a few questions I was hoping anyone who has personally gotten either can answer.

Did they make you break out after? I have read horror stories where people got microdermabrasion and it just made their acne much worse.
I have read that they can make you break out more when you get them. Is the peeling really bad? How long was it until your face looked normal again? Was it beneficial at all for you?

Thanks for any comments.

MemberMember
(@jkaur401)

Posted : 04/20/2016 8:18 pm

Hey there,

I used to go monthly for a microdermabrasion and peels but now I'm going on a quarterly basis because I have found a routine which helps me maintain my skin really well.

I use BP 2.5% at night and Retin-A .10% in the morning so before the treatment, I stop using both for a few days. I would say it's safe to not use them for a week and half for your first time so you can see how your skin reacts. My skin is sensitive but at the same time it is stubborn. For me, the peels burn for about 45 minutes but after that, my skin feels fine. It def. feels clean :).

My visits consist of: deep pore cleansing + microdermabrasion + light peel.

All the best to you 🙂

MemberMember
(@destinyreanne)

Posted : 04/21/2016 1:49 pm

Hi thanks for the response! Did it at all make you break out more after you got the treatments?

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 04/21/2016 5:18 pm

You may have an acne purge when you first start doing peels, but it should only last about week. After that peels are great. My face is much smoother when I do them compared to not. I had my first two peels done in office, then started doing them at home.

Never done dermabrasion.